Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Can A Long distance Lesbian Relationship Survive

chocolat

Keeping a long-distance relationship across the miles is no easy task. It requires hard work, perseverance and patience. Those of us who have been there can all attest that it is very hard.

There are different kinds of long-distance relationships, but the more daunting one is a long distance relationship between lesbians.

A lesbian who is involved in a long-distance relationship should prepare herself in making the relationship work. While it is hard even if both are residing in the same country and one can easily visit the other, it is even harder for couples who are separated not just by distance but by immigration issues as well. The complexity of getting a partner to join the other is sometimes the reason of a relationship breakdown.

Here are some tips to keep the relationship survive and thrive:

1. Defining your terms. One can ease a lot of discomfort and confusion by defining the expectations in advance. Unless you are comfortable with a casual, non-exclusive relationship, one should be prepared to move and join the other. Physical proximity makes a lot of difference in making a relationship grow.

2. Communication. Talk more often on the phone. If the phone bill is rising, send an email or use the free services of Skype. Both of you can talk long hours without worrying about the bill. And there are more free services out there that you can tap. You just need to find a way to limit your cost. Use the phone only when necessary. It’s more exciting also to send email once in a while. Send an e-card or leave a voice message.

***. Share the burden. Since both of you are in it, it’s fair enough to share the bill. Most, if not all, would just be for phone bill.

4. Make the most of your time together. Whenever you have the chance to be together, be it on the phone or physical presence, it is very important that you make the most out of it. Spend and enjoy time together. Watch movie, eat out or go shopping. If one has a very limited time spend time together in the privacy of your room or in a hotel.

5. Trust and avoid being jealous. In a long-distance relationship, trust is very important to make the relationship work. While any sign of jealousy may mean that you care and really love the person, it may mean distrust to the other. Avoid being jealous and trust that everything will turn out well.

6. Be positive. Stay positive and avoid the negative sides of a long-distance relationship. Staying positive is essential in keeping the relationship alive. Divert yourself into something productive like career enhancements or pursuing other interests or hobbies. Keep in mind that distance makes the heart grow fonder.

7. Talk about future together. Assuming ultimately you’d want to live together, discussing how you’re going to get to that point will help you prove to each other that the relationship is going somewhere and that your efforts and frustrations are not in vain.

Ladies, Have you ever being in a long distance Relationship? Did it Last? Why or Why not?

Written by jandi

• Administrators

I have been in a long distance relationship ,and it lasted. I think the base of every relationship be it long distance or short distance is "COMMUNICATION".If you have that going, then there is a high possibility that it will work out. Another issue is "TRUST" if trust is established then things will work out. I totally agree with the tips you gave. All relationships not just long distance require a lot of work and commitment. Something I've learned in my long-distance relationships: When things get tough, keep in touch.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have been and am still in a long distance relationship. Communication and trust is d key. But often times as a result of d distance, trust begins to dwindle and communication level drops and dat spark of love begins to die. It aint easy being in a long distance relationship. U just have to find ways of rejuvenating d love and keep on trusting ur partner no matter what

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@suavity..!!don't say it Won't work.. you have'nt been in one so don't say that!!it Can work..communication is the key!! just because it won't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for the other person!!smile.gif

Lovebird who told u i ve not been in one?almost all my relationship are long distance and it didt not work out.infact am in one now and is definately not working out

• Administrators

@suavity..!!don't say it Won't work.. you have'nt been in one so don't say that!!it Can work..communication is the key!! just because it won't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for the other person!!smile.gif

#WORD . .

It works just fine for me...COMMUNICATION n TRUST are key.

Everyone needs closeness someone you can see ,talk to in difficult times someone to hold u close to her arms and reassure u dat everything will be fine someone u can cry on her shoulder, long distance relationship cannot provide this no matter how u trust sometimes is frustrating. But with two people who deeply love each other it can work for them with good communication.

Everyone needs closeness someone you can see ,talk to in difficult times someone to hold u close to her arms and reassure u dat everything will be fine someone u can cry on her shoulder, long distance relationship cannot provide this no matter how u trust sometimes is frustrating. But with two people who deeply love each other it can work for them with good communication.

true. And u get to know her true colour unlike long distance relationship where she can pretend to be the kinda girl u want for the few days ur staying. theres just too much space in such relationship and sometimes when they finally stay together they start fighting and stuff cause they aint used to being around each other for that long and the bad habits start showing

true. And u get to know her true colour unlike long distance relationship where she can pretend to be the kinda girl u want for the few days ur staying. theres just too much space in such relationship and sometimes when they finally stay together they start fighting and stuff cause they aint used to being around each other for that long and the bad habits start showing

I so disagree with you!!If they claim to love 'themselves'then when they are together there Won't be any room for quarell and all..because obviously they miss themselves..so I don't agree with youbiggrin.gif i'l keep saying it communication and trust is the key

I so disagree with you!!If they claim to love 'themselves'then when they are together there Won't be any room for quarell and all..because obviously they miss themselves..so I don't agree with youbiggrin.gif i'l keep saying it communication and trust is the key

of course at first they miss each other so much and cant get their hands off each other but just give them 6months, except the distant relationship dint last for long then they can easily adjust. but when u are used to her absence and ur space it takez alot of work to get used to her presence , my opinion sha.

of course at first they miss each other so much and cant get their hands off each other but just give them 6months, except the distant relationship dint last for long then they can easily adjust. but when u are used to her absence and ur space it takez alot of work to get used to her presence , my opinion sha.

Well..if you say so..besides yur own opinion..everyone is entitled to their own..I still stand on my own shatongue.gif

• 1 month later...

Works better for me, I love my space

Lool. See u soundiin all selfish :-p. Dint mind me, but I do agree on some levels it allows fr room to just be ur best self without having someone constantly on your neck

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly. Long distant relationships are stretchy, unpredictable and hold a savour of memories. If ''abscence make the heart grow fonder' ' is ur forte. It might work. Bt I like to be practical...so these days the further apart we are, the less expectations I have.