Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

GayDar?

moresko

• Moderators

Well for one I wasn't arguing with any one, secondly its general knowledge that ladies become somewhat militant when the "period" is about , thirdly its real mature of you to call my maturity to question on a simple tension diffusing joke,fourthly if you really couldn't see that joke for what it was, could it be that the "period" joke hit too close to home for you? If so I'd recommend panadol extra, it works magic.

Of course the "joke" hit close, I'm female and I do menstruate so...

I never knew Panadol extra could cure "militancy" but since you're the one making the recommendation, you would know.

Where did I call your maturity into question? I just pointed that referring to a woman's period or time that they become "somewhat militant" (your words not mine) as a response to an argument was weak.

BTW, I believe most women would object to being called "somewhat militant" because they menstruate, but that's my opinion.

• Administrators

I have lots of effeminate gay friends and I'm not embarrass or annoyed by them for who they are, infact, I find them truly unique, i always try to see myself in their shoes and admire their confidence,do you think they truly set out to be like that? I have some of them who go through hell because of their "supposed" stupid tag. That's why effeminate gay guys hang around their circle, because of criticism. you see them in Two's or more. yes its true that effeminate gay guys can be really over the top, they sometimes tend to over do it same as tomboys and many of us here!and as much as I try to understand where your coming from though, it really doesn't make any sense. I mean come on, men chew gum both straight and gay and i dont see how it affects the price of chewing gum in SPA or mallam's shop? You can't control or dictate how other people should express themselves to make yourself feel better. In all honesty,Would you want someone to write you off just because of your voice,the way you dress,talk or walk? I guess Not..Look at people as individuals that have value and find their inner beauty.None of us are perfect. beside if you don't like the way or the feminine attributes they display, then it is a rather simple solution. ..DO EYES LEFT or DON'T WATCH THEM OR LOOK AT THEM...either way it isn't going to kill you.. will it? Lol. There are more important things in life to get irritated with.

seriously, how does the way they act impact on my life? as long as they ain't encroaching or invading my space.

we really have to put our prejudices aside. because no matter your how we wanna look at it or try to justify our attitude to them, the bottom line is that we are all the same. we all like same sex.

Really Abystacy? Iris was just expressing her opinion though..

lol...

girls girls girls

where there's a cat fight (misunderstanding) there are surely girls close by (even on a forum)

walkin by..... :P

lol...

girls girls girls

where there's a cat fight (misunderstanding) there are surely girls close by (even on a forum)

walkin by..... :P/>

Are you likening girls to cats, oh no I'm so annoyed. :angry:

Of course the "joke" hit close, I'm female and I do menstruate so...

I never knew Panadol extra could cure "militancy" but since you're the one making the recommendation, you would know.

Where did I call your maturity into question? I just pointed that referring to a woman's period or time that they become "somewhat militant" (your words not mine) as a response to an argument was weak.

BTW, I believe most women would object to being called "somewhat militant" because they menstruate, but that's my opinion.

Well if your whole point is premised on me making a weak comeback to an argument , then your point and everything thereafter is invalid because I wasn't responding to any argument , WHY because I couldn't have been responding to an argument when I wasn't involved in an argument. If you read the post trail , this would be rather clear. Menstruation is not exclusive to you alone, It is a situation I am privy to also, hence if I see fit to make a joke about it , in order to douse a terse situation, then I feel I am fully within my rights to do so. Especially as I didn't deem it insultive in any way ( though an uptight person might disagree with me). So baring the possibility that we are in a dictatorship situation and our free expressions are clipped, I see no problem with the joke I made plus we are in a community and I have not seen any consensus amongst other members that I made an inappropriate joke . You did call my maturity into question by your Ironic idiom "thats mature" and I'm sure anyone familiar with english expressions would agree with me (except I'm mistaken and that wasn't English language). It is a fact that most women act confrontational( in my own words-militant)when they are on their period , so stating the obvious as a joke isn't really that bad, OR IS IT?

• Moderators

Well if your whole point is premised on me making a weak comeback to an argument , then your point and everything thereafter is invalid because I wasn't responding to any argument , WHY because I couldn't have been responding to an argument when I wasn't involved in an argument. If you read the post trail , this would be rather clear. Menstruation is not exclusive to you alone, It is a situation I am privy to also, hence if I see fit to make a joke about it , in order to douse a terse situation, then I feel I am fully within my rights to do so. Especially as I didn't deem it insultive in any way ( though an uptight person might disagree with me). So baring the possibility that we are in a dictatorship situation and our free expressions are clipped, I see no problem with the joke I made plus we are in a community and I have not seen any consensus amongst other members that I made an inappropriate joke . You did call my maturity into question by your Ironic idiom "thats mature" and I'm sure anyone familiar with english expressions would agree with me (except I'm mistaken and that wasn't English language). It is a fact that most women act confrontational( in my own words-militant)when they are on their period , so stating the obvious as a joke isn't really that bad, OR IS IT?

Actually you said "could it be that the "period" joke hit too close to home for you?", so i don't see what the consensus of members has to do with my answer. When people use the word "fact", I always want them to prove it by research or show me where the fact is. Except you've met every woman in the world during their period, and you have scientific proof to display said facts, you can't really say most women "act confrontational" or are "somewhat militant" during menstruation.

Now, if you're talking about PMDD, only ***-8% of women suffer from it and thats a far cry from most but just saying.

Actually you said "could it be that the "period" joke hit too close to home for you?", so i don't see what the consensus of members has to do with my answer. When people use the word "fact", I always want them to prove it by research or show me where the fact is. Except you've met every woman in the world during their period, and you have scientific proof to display said facts, you can't really say most women "act confrontational" or are "somewhat militant" during menstruation.

Now, if you're talking about PMDD, only ***-8% of women suffer from it and thats a far cry from most but just saying.

Well since it has come to me breaking down my joke into details, I was referring to PMS which up about 85% of women suffer from ( google can help here, plus lots of medical textbooks, plus everyday interaction with women who menstruate), I'm sure 85% is enough to make a statistical inference from, so that covers "MOST" women.

The joke wasn't especially targeted at you nor was it targeted at a situation you were involved in, So I'm still finding it hard to understand why it particularly meant so much to you when the parties involved didn't even comment or say they felt insulted. Hence anyone outside the affected parties commenting, signals to me that I must have made a comment that was publicly distasteful i.e not only to those directly affected by the comment but to the community at large, so if it was distasteful to the community at large, why then didn't i get more complaints?

So now I'm in a quandary , cos you weren't a party to the joke per se, and your views on my joke doesn't exactly represent the public views of the community ( I do not need to do a research to do this, simple observation of replies after my post clearly show me that there was no general dissent to my post, nor did I notice comments agreeing with your judgement of my joke either).

So since you you weren't directly affected ( if you were i'd have been obliged to apologise to you) but you were indirectly affected ( public) but holding a minority view , then I'm sure you would agree with me ( because you love research and facts , which are hinged on statistical inferences) that i should discount your views because they hold no water from a statistical point of view i.e they are not representative of the generality of people here.

Good morning.

• Moderators

Well since it has come to me breaking down my joke into details, I was referring to PMS which up about 85% of women suffer from ( google can help here, plus lots of medical textbooks, plus everyday interaction with women who menstruate), I'm sure 85% is enough to make a statistical inference from, so that covers "MOST" women.

The joke wasn't especially targeted at you nor was it targeted at a situation you were involved in, So I'm still finding it hard to understand why it particularly meant so much to you when the parties involved didn't even comment or say they felt insulted. Hence anyone outside the affected parties commenting, signals to me that I must have made a comment that was publicly distasteful i.e not only to those directly affected by the comment but to the community at large, so if it was distasteful to the community at large, why then didn't i get more complaints?

So now I'm in a quandary , cos you weren't a party to the joke per se, and your views on my joke doesn't exactly represent the public views of the community ( I do not need to do a research to do this, simple observation of replies after my post clearly show me that there was no general dissent to my post, nor did I notice comments agreeing with your judgement of my joke either).

So since you you weren't directly affected ( if you were i'd have been obliged to apologise to you) but you were indirectly affected ( public) but holding a minority view , then I'm sure you would agree with me ( because you love research and facts , which are hinged on statistical inferences) that i should discount your views because they hold no water from a statistical point of view i.e they are not representative of the generality of people here.

Good morning.

PMS is general term for everything from heat flashes to cramps, I'm talking about the "confrontational" and "somewhat militant" which were terms you used, which learn towards aggression and anger, so PMS would not suffice.

http://womensmentalhealth.org/specialty-clinics/pms-and-pmdd/ (Definition and terms)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22377229/ (Study done on Chinese women where anger is actually "calculated")

Google "(pms) and prevalence among university students in karachi, pakistan"- Another study, this time on Pakistani women and anger was studied.

In.all of this, I see how super smart we all are. I missed all of you. Gosh so many intelligent, (single, I hope.) ladies. Really though. I think you all have a point and though the argument digressed, caused some uproar and even arose newer topics, I still think you're all right in some way. Like Iris too, effeminate men exhausts me a little and I'm not really into super butch babes but then again I'm bi and already get thrashed down for wanting the best of both worlds or being pretentious and greedy. Well, who cares. It's my mind. My body. My 2cents.

PMS is general term for everything from heat flashes to cramps, I'm talking about the "confrontational" and "somewhat militant" which were terms you used, which learn towards aggression and anger, so PMS would not suffice.

http://womensmentalhealth.org/specialty-clinics/pms-and-pmdd/ (Definition and terms)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22377229/ (Study done on Chinese women where anger is actually "calculated")

Google "(pms) and prevalence among university students in karachi, pakistan"- Another study, this time on Pakistani women and anger was studied.

I completely disagree that PMS would not suffice. Yes PMS covers a range of symptoms that are generally classified under physical and psychological/behavioural. Under psychological symptoms of Aggression, moodiness,hostility and being confrontational are clearly indicated. For reference see:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/pms-benefits

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001505.htm

http://www.babycenter.com.au/a553471/premenstrual-syndrome-pms

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/womenshealth/205540.html

http://www.pmscomfort.com/pms-pmdd-symptoms/pms-pmdd-anger.aspx

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pmsing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1154013.stm

According to the BBC article above, "The pain and misery of pre-menstrual syndrome can be so bad that 50% of women who suffer from the problem have considered suicide, research has found.

A study for the Women's Nutritional Advisory Service (WNAS) found that more than eight out of 10 PMS sufferers feel violent and aggressive for up to two weeks before their periods."

"The WNAS survey of 400 women with mild to severe PMS follows similar studies conducted in 1985 and 1996.

The new study found:

57% of sufferers have contemplated suicide - a rise of 7% on 1996

97% have mood swings

94% suffer from anxiety

92% feel depressed

84% feel violent and aggressive

73% of women suffer from loss of libido - an increase of 13% from five years ago"

There are a lot more resources online so all talking about PMS and aggression ,they would show amply that PMS does suffice to be a cause of Aggression amongst womenfolk.

So question is ,is there such a thing as PMS? - YES

Does its symptoms include Aggressiveness - YES.

PMS is a general term for various symptoms linked to hormonal changes around a lady's period but its GENERALITY doesn't preclude Aggression from being one of its symptoms.

• 4 months later...

My gaydar is on leave.. It worked overtime when I was in high school.. I guess That's the result of being in a girls school.. The gaydar gets exhausted. Lol

Now it works 40%.. It says it needs just one more to rest.. I say its just lazy, can't take it 5years to recover.

Loool.... This post is really interesting and fun to read, LOL... My Gaydar is 60%, could be more than that but I don't rely on it, when my Gaydar is on high around a person, I try to talk about issues relating to lesbianism n all to see the person's reaction to it, however I have met ladies who acted all homophobic but were actually into girls, LOL...

• 5 years later...
On 8/10/2014 at 9:37 PM, Althena said:

I'd take offence.

I wouldn't. There are more important things to be concerned with than the opinion of insignificant individuals. The well-being of my loved ones and wealth is paramount...second to none. So long as the opinions of others causes no harm to my people or deduct from my bank account I'm good.

On 8/11/2014 at 11:01 PM, Iris said:

I dnt like girly men.

I love them...the studs are a bore 😀

On 8/12/2014 at 1:39 AM, Abystacy said:

i always try to see myself in their shoes and admire their confidence

Yeah, they keep me in touch with my feminine side 😀

• Haha 1