Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Books

kimi

• 1 month later...

I'm currently reading speak no evil by iweala uzodinma.. Just 3% in, I usually struggle with queer fiction at the beginning of the read, and I do hope this turns out differently, I am very much optimistic.

16 hours ago, scarlet said:

I'm currently reading speak no evil by iweala uzodinma.. Just 3% in, I usually struggle with queer fiction at the beginning of the read, and I do hope this turns out differently, I am very much optimistic.

Pdf? Needs something for the holiday

FB_IMG_1545772758674.thumb.jpg.d7a91259bbaeb8729521bf283935c4ea.jpg

This book demands to be felt; it hits me in a way, I never could have predicted,  spent the whole day reading it, and I realized, i couldn't talk about it..  Staring into nothing and feeling so numb 😖

#Goodreads #Christmasreads 

After my last read, which i am yet to recover from,  I had decide to opt for a non -African author, so I settled with Stephen king. 

Currently reading 'The Stand' by the master Stephen King. The book is something else. I haven't gone halfway but I'm exhausted. The tension, suspense, narrative mastery of Mr King is just simply too much, for feeble heart to bear.

After reading a scene, which The sub-chapter is about a pyromaniac named 'Trashcan Man' who was first sent to an asylum for the criminally insane when he was just 13, and then prison at age 18 after blowing up a church.

I'm tingling all over. Trashie is a MANIAC. Utterly insane, and now that Mr King has just introduced a very dangerous character, I can almost feel the complete hopelessness of the situation. The Blue plague is emptying towns, and now to make matters worse, Trashie is on rampage with no one to control him. Burning the oil field has pushed him over the brink of insanity and it's going to get worse. 

I can almost picture everything. Such mastery, such skills .

This is my first encounter with Stephen king, and boy! King's such a genius and master of his genre.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Damiee said:

About to start listening to ‘We’re Going to Need More Wine’. For some reason, I’m quite interested in Gabrielle Union’s story.

Hmmm.... okay 🙃

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading "Unapologetic", A Black, Queer, And Feminist Mandate For Radical Movements by Charlene A  Carruthers. Pg45  (paperback)

I should review this book after I am done reading, only if work permits me.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently reading The Orchestra of Minorities by Chigozie Obioma,  (PDF).  I have always being intrigued about 'personal gods' something the igbo cosmology describes as  "Chi" which everyone possesses in them. Obioma shares exhaustively in fiction that is, a deep insight about these creatures and how they relate/intercedes on behalf of their host. My first fiction of the year, a devastating love story that had me glued to my phone all day today  #Goodreads.

35 minutes ago, scarlet said:

I am currently reading The Orchestra of Minorities by Chigozie Obioma,  (PDF).  I have always being intrigued about 'personal gods' something the igbo cosmology describes as  "Chi" which everyone possesses in them. Obioma shares exhaustively in fiction that is, a deep insight about these creatures and how they relate/intercedes on behalf of their host. My first fiction of the year, a devastating love story that had me glued to my phone all day today  #Goodreads.

Intresting. It's surprising how this deep rooted personal god (Chi) of the Igbos get easily swamped with the middle Eastern one (Jesus) which is so parallel with their indigenous god. 

On 2/10/2019 at 11:01 PM, Mimy said:

Intresting. It's surprising how this deep rooted personal god (Chi) of the Igbos get easily swamped with the middle Eastern one (Jesus) which is so parallel with their indigenous god. 

Do they? I doubt it. "Chi" are known as  guardian spirits, and differs from "Chukwu" with whom Ndigbo refers to as God. Expect you are talking about "Chukwu" not " Chi".  No one meddles both of these up, maybe non-igbos who do not understand the concept and differences between them, or are you only insinuating ?

I understand the Chi concept from the few Igbo folktale I've read. What I meant is, it's surprising how a foreign belief concept trumped the existing deep rooted indigenous belief system. 

Every society had worshipped/worships a god that look exactly like them. 

• 2 months later...

I am currently reading The Education of a British -Protected Child by Chinua Achebe, (paper back). Gone half way and all I can say is; Achebe is the life of writing.

PS I also just recently finished The order of Nature and Seasons of Crimson blossoms both by Abubakar Ibrahim and Josh Scheinert respectively. This stories are important love stories one which demands to be felt. Good reads