Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

kimi

• Moderators

Yaaaay! Or a not so yaay...🤔

Nevertheless, a happy Independence day to my NL family.

I set up this thread not really because I am in a celebratory mood. I set it up to get your opinion on a crucial subject matter as it relates to our country.

Question:

What do you think is Nigeria's biggest problem? Clearly all is not well or we won't be where we are after 57years post independence. 

Please share your thoughts.

Honestly one can not singlehandedly pin point to a particular problem. but from my perspective, I think the major/ biggest problem with Nigeria is simply and squarely a failure of leadership! although there are tons of  many other pressing problems like corruption, indiscipline, tribalism, social injustice and the most prominent which is mediocrity.  That said,  the  major Nigerian problem is the unwillingness of its  so called leaders to rise to the responsibility to show personal example of what good leadership entails, which I guess is the hallmark of true leadership and until she( Nigeria) discovers leaders who are diligent and also posses  the will, the ability and vision.  Than we would continue to rot.. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

There is so much to say here...

In my opinion, at the root of it all, our biggest problem as a people is selfishness! We do not have a sense of community. This fact is evident in all spheres -even here on NL.

Let's rationalize this for a minute. The average Nigerian thinks of him/herself (and family) first. As long as that tiny sect is fine then they could not be bothered about the whole.

In this country we have local government chairmen, senators or even governors who have such massive houses. Most often, the biggest on the street but what you will also find is that the road leading to his house is absolute rubbish

Another example is refuse/waste management, as long as our private spaces are fine, the streets could be as filthy as it pleases. We do not even take out the time to dispose properly. How many of you put the right waste in the right bin? I do. I sort my waste.

This is our biggest problem as a people. On the flip side, "the western world" know that if society is safe and clean and functional (as against dysfunctional), they all as a whole stand to benefit. Their societies are built to protect the vulnerable and the likes... they are very outward thinking in approach. 

Life is more than just myself and my family. We can't possibly be here for ourselves alone.

When people speak poorly of Nigeria, I tend to get upset because I ask myself, what are they doing differently. Talk is cheap. What are we all doing differenty? Until such a time that we can each prove that we are actively playing our respective roles in being progressive in our mindsets, It's best we do not criticize. Constructive criticism is way better than plain vain talk. 

• Like 1

Truth is, I don't like to talk about Nigeria. Anyways, one thing I want those irresponsible leaders to do for me is to give us the freedom to date/marry whoever we wanna date/marry publicly.  

*** hours ago, kimi said:

There is so much to say here...

In my opinion, at the root of it all, our biggest problem as a people is selfishness! We do not have a sense of community. This fact is evident in all spheres -even here on NL.

Let's rationalize this for a minute. The average Nigerian thinks of him/herself (and family) first. As long as that tiny sect is fine then they could not be bothered about the whole.

In this country we have local government chairmen, senators or even governors who have such massive houses. Most often, the biggest on the street but what you will also find is that the road leading to his house is absolute rubbish

Another example is refuse/waste management, as long as our private spaces are fine, the streets could be as filthy as it pleases. We do not even take out the time to dispose properly. How many of you put the right waste in the right bin? I do. I sort my waste.

This is our biggest problem as a people. On the flip side, "the western world" know that if society is safe and clean and functional (as against dysfunctional), they all as a whole stand to benefit. Their societies are built to protect the vulnerable and the likes... they are very outward thinking in approach. 

Life is more than just myself and my family. We can't possibly be here for ourselves alone.

When people speak poorly of Nigeria, I tend to get upset because I ask myself, what are they doing differently. Talk is cheap. What are we all doing differenty? Until such a time that we can each prove that we are actively playing our respective roles in being progressive in our mindsets, It's best we do not criticize. Constructive criticism is way better than plain vain talk. 

Well said. I can't agree with you more on this. I would have said 'lack of love' but that will be synonymous to all you have already said just in different words and would have arrived at the same conclusion . 

We are  Nigerians (talking about those of us from Nigeria). The earlier we take responsibility about the state of our affairs, the better for us all as a nation. Let us all be that change we wanna see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreamgal said:

Bad leadership, nepotism, partisan fight against corruption, selfishness, northerners, religion, etc 

Religion should be after bad leadership.

1 hour ago, dreamgal said:

Bad leadership, nepotism, partisan fight against corruption, selfishness, northerners, religion, etc 

I can't believe you actually said northeners 😂

6 hours ago, dreamgal said:

Bad leadership, nepotism, partisan fight against corruption, selfishness, northerners religion, etc 

@bolded.

typical! SMH

Alright not all and especially the uneducated ones. I'm surprised there was no bomb explosion somewhere today, maybe cause their brother is in power now. 

• Haha 1