Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Preacher says gay people are a ‘contamination’

FlyJ

• Administrators

A homophobic preacher has hit out at gay and bi clergy members, saying they are a “contamination in churches”.

Bishop Brian Tamaki of the New Zealand-based Destiny Church, has become well known for his anti-gay rhetoric.

He had previously claimed that recent earthquakes in the Kaikoura area were due to homosexuality.

Discussing homosexuality, he said that he “convulses under the weight of certain human sin”.

Even members of the church were outraged at the comments, with some joining the LGBT protestors in their spirited protest.

But that didn’t stop him and in his latest rant, he has attacked gay, lesbian and bi members of the clergy as a “contamination”.

The bishop made the comments speaking to his congregation on Sunday.

A video was posted by his wife Hannah Tamaki, in which he refers to gay clergy as “contamination”.

In the video he says: “… You’ve got to understand that there’s been such a breakdown and contamination in churches and in denominations it’s gone beyond a joke.

“Churches are so unguarded and [have] so lost their way that now you can have lesbian ministers… and gay…

“You might be saying ‘yay’ and clapping, but I’m not clapping with you – and neither is God,” he adds.

Tamaki was previously confronted by a protest of drag queens at his church.

Bishop Brian Tamaki’s Destiny Church in New Zealand faced a “drag queen disco” protest.
The queens sang YMCA outside the church and flew rainbow banners to protest comments made by the bishop.

Event organiser Wayne Baker told the NZHerald that the LGBT community “wasn’t going to tolerate hatred”.

“It went really well.

“We had a lot of toots of support from the public and cheering and waving.

“It just goes to show the views of Brian Tamaki are the views of Brian Tamaki.”

The event’s organiser said they received a backlash on their Facebook event page, where some commenters defended Biship Tamaki by saying “he has gay friends”.

“Someone said we were sexualising the event because of the drag.

“All we want to do is raise awareness, to show the LGBT community won’t tolerate this sort of behaviour.”

Source

• Like 1

I know some so called straight people will believe this shit, this people need to understand that not all pastors are called some called themselves to the ministry and these ones interprete the bible to serve their motive it is better to live ur life according to ur own understanding of the bible.

I wonder what will be their defence about fathers who sleep with their daughter's and also brothers and sisters sleeping with each other.

8 hours ago, stargirluc said:

“it is better to live ur life according to ur own understanding of the bible”

Lol legit expected reaction from a Theist queer. 

19 hours ago, stargirluc said:

I know some so called straight people will believe this shit, this people need to understand that not all pastors are called some called themselves to the ministry and these ones interprete the bible to serve their motive it is better to live ur life according to ur own understanding of the bible.

Very well said.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:30 PM, stargirluc said:

Yh u ryt, not all straight tho bcos I was surprised when 2 of my friend and my cousin hugged me after coming out to them about my sexuality and they said we knw and understand #loveislove 😱👩‍❤️‍👩