Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Australia Joins the #Yes Team

kimi

• Moderators

Australia votes Yes

ONE statistic that has surprised many Australians in the same-sex marriage vote is that New South Wales had the most marginal Yes vote of any state.

Just 57.8 per cent (2,374,362 people) voted Yes, with a significant 42.2 per cent (1,736,838 people) voting No.

Every other state was above 60 per cent Yes, with the Australian Capital Territory top at 74 per cent, and Victoria close behind, on 64.9 per cent.

The ACT has a small voting population, with 175,459 ticking Yes and 61,520 No, but you might have expected NSW and Victoria to be comparably progressive.

In fact, NSW’s metropolitan electorates were some of the highest Yes voting seats in the country, with Sydney tying with Melbourne for the nation’s most strongly in favour, at 83.7 per cent.

Even rural seats in western NSW were relatively strongly skewed to Yes.

It was seats in south-west Sydney, many of which have large socially conservative immigrant populations, that were most likely to vote No.

Out of 150 Federal Electoral Divisions, 133 recorded a majority Yes response, and just 17 divisions recorded a majority No response.

Congrats Aussies, Read more here

• Like 1

I knew they were gonna get there. Australia is one loving country. 

Issokay, lemme coman be going to Australia. 

By the way, when will Nigeria join the YES TEAM? 

Way to go Aussies!!  It's  so beautiful to know  the fight for legalization in Australia is over, even though 2017 has been  brutal for homosexuals in Africa, but aleast  beautiful elsewhere.  What a beautiful way to start the holidays. 

FB_IMG_1510732435816.jpg

• Moderators

....a thought just came to mind now: "even freedom isn't free"

Typical of the west is their willingness to come out en masse in support of whatever cause they are advocating for or against. 

Although the law won't permit that we do this here, if it did, I am wondering how many will take up the challenge to show up. Sadly, what I envision is that NGO groups and expatriates would be more in number than we ourselves. 

I'm not even going to sit here and point fingers because I would be one of those who would sit home and cheer from a distance (silently) 🙈

*sighs* I need to do better in this regard... 

23 minutes ago, kimi said:

I'm not even going to sit here and point fingers because I would be one of those who would sit home and cheer from a distance (silently) 🙈

Hahaha, dakun, I will join you to sit and cheer at a distance. Who wan go before? 

Snake oh, scorpion oh, spider oh, the most poisonous of everything is in Australia. I'm sure if there's even poisonous wall gecko, it will be native to Australia 😞

I'm happy for them though 😀

• 3 years later...
On 11/15/2017 at 2:20 AM, Txunamy said:

Nice one Australia.

But that country is too far man. I'm pitching my tent in either Vancouver Canada, or California USA. Yet to decide. 

🤔

• Haha 1