Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Throw Back Thursday(puberty)

VINA

So let's reminisce, us girls. Can you remember how it felt during puberty? Growing boobs and the big period day.

Did you get 'the talk' from your folks?

How did you feel among your peers if you were an early starter or late Bloomer?

General myths and misconceptions about girls getting periods. Weird stories and etc. It's throwback time. Let's reminisce..

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nice topic.

My first thought on this was "no recollection" lol. Truth is I don't remember much of it as I surprisingly didn't think anything special to it. 

Even my mum was shocked when she found out I had started my period some months earlier. I have always been a very shy one... and as such; I kept such mattets private lol.

What I recall is that I already had so much information about what to do and what sort of products were available in the market place.

I started with good ol' Tampax :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1: .In retrospect, (lol), I recall standing in weird positions to stick it in. I was wondering if it would disvirgin me so I would stop pushing it further at the slightest hurt. Lol. ...but I used it anyway 😁🙄

I actually enjoyed using Tampax. It was easy and very comfortable. I always felt dry. It was the best thing that could happen to a young girl who did't want to be figured out by her peers. Hahahaha... memories. I laugh because back then in secondary school, girls were always checking out your bum to see if you were on. They could tell because those pads were the long fat ones.lol and those pads usually stuck out and were easily picked out by one with a keen eye. Hahaha. Jobless girls those were... 

I can't remember the year I first saw my period, neither can I remember the age I was but I can remember it was on Easter Sunday morning of that particular year. I woke up and saw myself swimming in a little blood.

I quickly ran to meet my mum before she left for the church, she hurriedly handed a sanitary pad to me, telling me how to attach it to my pant. I collected it and did as she said. 

I sat in church peacefully listening to the easter musics and dramas, I kept going to the toilet to check if I was stained. As I stood up for the last prayer for that service, I turned to look at my behind if I was stained. I felt a little embarrassed but as the brave girl that I was and still am, I just boned. 

We got home, easter celebrations started, I pulled my mum in and I asked her if I could wash my vijay anytime I wanna have my bath, mama just laughed and said "you can even use soap to wash it."

Later that night, she handed me a diary to keep track of my menstrual circle and all. That diary didn't last 8months before I tore it, who diary epp? 

The funny part is, I menstruated for 6days for the next 7months. Mama said "my mother which is your grandma menstruated for 7days" na so I begin cry ooooo. But now I'm all smiles in the days I menstruate, events have taken over. 

Lemme nor even talk about that boobs story. This one don do. 

• Like 1

My friends consider me a late bloomer for period, seeing as they saw theirs @age 10,  11, 12.mine came when I was 13,and boy!  Was I shy? 

Before my period, I have been reading Every woman, getting myself ready for the big day. But it never occurred to me to buy sanitary pads. 

Mine started at night by 10pm.. I felt the wetness and I just knew, cos I had been anticipating it. But then I panicked and started crying cos I didn't know what to do. So I went to my mum's room, she was fast asleep I woke her up and I said 'Mummy,the thing has come'(I was so shy at that age) and mum went 'what thing? And I replied that thing, and then my mum went 'praise God' and started laughing. She knew already. So she gave me one of her big pads.those heavy ones.. Lol. That night was the longest night of my life. But I was glad it came. 

My boobs tortured me.it simply refused growing till I was 16.it was that bad. My mum attributed it to my being athletic at an early age, so she stopped me from all forms of sport. I started wearing a bra when I was 17...but look at me now, my boobs are all over the place. Isn't God wonderful?

• Like 1

I started menstruating when I was 17, and before that i was always praying to God to never let me see my period lol. It didn't really bother mum, not until my younger sister began hers..that was when my mum got scared and took me for a check up. But when the results came back and nothing was wrong with me, she took me to two other hospitals and when she got the same result, she began compiling lists of 'prayer houses' she would take me to lol. thankfully one week after i saw my period and was spared from any sort of deliverance some pastor would've recommended.

2 hours ago, kimi said:

Even my mum was shocked when she found out I had started my period some months earlier. I have always been a very shy one... and as such; I kept such mattets private lol.

Same here. Lol

2 hours ago, Teewhy said:

I felt a little embarrassed but as the brave girl that I was and still am, I just boned. 

Were you stained? 

2 hours ago, Teewhy said:

That diary didn't last 8months before I tore it, who diary epp? 

😂😂 you weenor kee somebody! 

1 hour ago, Ivyy said:

And I replied that thing, and then my mum went 'praise God' and started laughing.

Mothers joy! ☺️

1 hour ago, Ivyy said:

but look at me now, my boobs are all over the place. Isn't God wonderful?

We can't see you, so how do we know? 😊

1 hour ago, Chrmd said:

thankfully one week after i saw my period and was spared from any sort of deliverance some pastor would've recommended.

Lol. Happy for you

My very first day was a messy day, the 21st of one month like that. I knew about these things and so I didn't tell mother.

When she eventually found out, she became my menstrual calendar 😁. And yes, she gave me the talk: "now you are a woman, you have to be careful because any mistake, you are going to be....   Congratulations my dear." lol. I think she hugged me, I can't remember.

This thing can be inconsistent at the beginning, so when there was no show on time the next month, she was worried. When the date she expected it to come (which wasn't the real date) arrived and nothing happened, she panicked. When I told her that wasn't the real date, she panicked extra. I'm sure she was like; "this child, so you can keep things from me" 😁. Anyways, the lord was and still is her strength, the doctor calmed all her fears.😊😊

Lool. I can't laugh. Y'all didn't have mother's who gave the talk grudgingly. Hehehehe. They couldn't even call vagina with its proper name.

Thank God I didn't wait for my mum to give me the talk, I for old because till today, the woman hasn't mentioned anything about sex or periods to me.

My best friend in secondary school got hers before me, I was so jealous that she was a woman before me. anyways I was on holiday with my aunt when my menarche came. I was thirteen. Prior to then the discharge started and I was weirded out. Like wtf is this? I'm I the only one getting it? Ewwww! But it prompted me to start reading and by the time my period came, I knew everything I needed to know.

My aunt bless her, bought me pad and some pain killers and gave me an inaccurate version of the talk. I was like uh uh, aunty it doesn't happen like that now, in my mind sha..

The boobs own pain me sha. I prayed for big boobs but the thing grew small and stopped. Lord knows this is not my real boobs, I'm so enhancing it.

5 hours ago, Rachel said:

Mothers joy! ☺️

We can't see you, so how do we know? 😊

Hahhaha Rachael.. 

You now know cos, I made you know.. 

However, how you can confirm is another issue.. :597f839311844_tw_grin1:

11 minutes ago, Ivyy said:

Hahhaha Rachael.. 

You now know cos, I made you know.. 

However, how you can confirm is another issue.. :597f839311844_tw_grin1:

I hereby Nominate Myself to travel Down And Confirm:597f8385cda73_tw_glasses1:

13 hours ago, vina said:

Thank God I didn't wait for my mum to give me the talk, I for old because till today, the woman hasn't mentioned anything about sex or periods to me.

This right here is my mum! She never talked about it, and because i knew how uncomfortable it made her feel, i always used it to finesse her.

Our church had a policy (one that has since been abolished) that menstruating women should stay in their house and it worked for me!

So for a while, i used it to avoid service at least twice a month by telling her "i think its coming today, i have cramps". It pained me when she caught on.

No, like physically. It pained me because she beat me when she found out i had been lying:597f8276cadf6_tw_expressionless1:

• Haha 1

I can't remember the exact day nor my age but one day i went to pee, wiped off and saw blood. So i sat down for a bit and sure enough, more came. I knew what it was so i wasn't fazed. I think it came early because i remember i was shirtless so it means i didn't have any boobs then :(
Anyway, i clean of properly and go my merry way thinking that was all. Imagine my surprise when i started to feel slippery between my legs. So i go back to the bathroom to look and my thighs are all bloody. I wipe off, even showered, i don't know what i was aiming for but i was aiming for something because i was mighty pissed when i started to feel slippery again. I go back to the bathroom and I'm fuming. I didn't sign up for this, I didn't sign up for this at all! The thought of having to stuff tissue paper down my pants to catch the flow was pissing me off as hell. But i did it anyway. I rolled up, stuffed it down there and went back to life.

But nopes, period that day was heavy as f***k. Tissue barely lasted 20 minutes. When i started to feel slippery again, i didn't bother to go check. I just stalked over to my mums room and said "my period has come". She looked at me for a bit and said "is that why you are frowning?". LOL
Anyway, she goes to her bag, gives me money and said "go to the chemist and tell them to give you Always". And that was it.

She didn't teach me how to use it, she didn't give me no talk. But from that day, her complaints about how i only had male friends increased. Also how i shouldn't hang with boys anymore, and how i should for God sake stop playing football! She didn't get to complain about the football bit for long because my boobs grew very quickly after my period came, and after catching some painful jabs to my boobs, i advised myself and settled for the post of referee :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hawken said:

She didn't get to complain about the football bit for long because my boobs grew very quickly after my period came, and after catching some painful jabs to my boobs, i advised myself and settled for the post of referee :(

I Knew her boobs would be big. I said it. Hehehehe:597f838f111a3_tw_grimace1:

• Haha 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Hawken said:

This right here is my mum! She never talked about it, and because i knew how uncomfortable it made her feel, i always used it to finesse her.

Our church had a policy (one that has since been abolished) that menstruating women should stay in their house and it worked for me!

So for a while, i used it to avoid service at least twice a month by telling her "i think its coming today, i have cramps". It pained me when she caught on.

No, like physically. It pained me because she beat me when she found out i had been lying:597f8276cadf6_tw_expressionless1:

Hahahahahahaha scammer :597f83aa4cd9b_tw_kiss_closed1:

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Hawken said:

I can't remember the exact day nor my age but one day i went to pee, wiped off and saw blood. So i sat down for a bit and sure enough, more came. I knew what it was so i wasn't fazed. I think it came early because i remember i was shirtless so it means i didn't have any boobs then :(
Anyway, i clean of properly and go my merry way thinking that was all. Imagine my surprise when i started to feel slippery between my legs. So i go back to the bathroom to look and my thighs are all bloody. I wipe off, even showered, i don't know what i was aiming for but i was aiming for something because i was mighty pissed when i started to feel slippery again. I go back to the bathroom and I'm fuming. I didn't sign up for this, I didn't sign up for this at all! The thought of having to stuff tissue paper down my pants to catch the flow was pissing me off as hell. But i did it anyway. I rolled up, stuffed it down there and went back to life.

But nopes, period that day was heavy as f***k. Tissue barely lasted 20 minutes. When i started to feel slippery again, i didn't bother to go check. I just stalked over to my mums room and said "my period has come". She looked at me for a bit and said "is that why you are frowning?". LOL
Anyway, she goes to her bag, gives me money and said "go to the chemist and tell them to give you Always". And that was it.

She didn't teach me how to use it, she didn't give me no talk. But from that day, her complaints about how i only had male friends increased. Also how i shouldn't hang with boys anymore, and how i should for God sake stop playing football! She didn't get to complain about the football bit for long because my boobs grew very quickly after my period came, and after catching some painful jabs to my boobs, i advised myself and settled for the post of referee :(

Hahahahahaha. This was very entertaining. Lovely read

Baby Hawken... loool @ the sessions of wiping and slippery. Lol

3 minutes ago, vina said:

I Knew her boobs would be big. I said it. Hehehehe:597f838f111a3_tw_grimace1:

LOL my boobs are not big. They are just a handful :597f839311844_tw_grin1:

2 minutes ago, kimi said:

Hahahahahahaha scammer :597f83aa4cd9b_tw_kiss_closed1:

Lmao, service was from 8 to sometimes 2pm back then. I wasn't given a choice :597f8276cadf6_tw_expressionless1:

3 minutes ago, kimi said:

Hahahahahaha. This was very entertaining. Lovely read

Baby Hawken... loool @ the sessions of wiping and slippery. Lol

I was very upset that day oh. And soon after that, i had to start wearing shirts when leaving the apartment.

Puberty robbed me of my childhood :597f8276cadf6_tw_expressionless1::597f8276cadf6_tw_expressionless1:

19 hours ago, kimi said:

I started with good ol' Tampax :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1: .In retrospect, (lol), I recall standing in weird positions to stick it in.

You started of with tampax?? Lucky much. I didn't see one till i entered Uni.

18 hours ago, Teewhy said:

The funny part is, I menstruated for 6days for the next 7months.

I have a friend that menstruates 7 days straight. Sometimes i feel bad for her, but most times I'm just very happy I'm not her :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1:

17 hours ago, Ivyy said:

Before my period, I have been reading Every woman, getting myself ready for the big day. But it never occurred to me to buy sanitary pads. 

started wearing a bra when I was 17...but look at me now, my boobs are all over the place. Isn't God wonderful?

My own mum hid "Every Woman" from me because of the sex positions in it. Hilarious.

Something i had read years before she brought it out to give my pregnant cousin.

16 hours ago, Chrmd said:

I started menstruating when I was 17, and before that i was always praying to God to never let me see my period lol.

See the people that enjoyed their childhood -_-