Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Nigerian writer launches LGBT visibility campaign

FlyJ

• Administrators

Ude.jpg?resize=136%2C279&ssl=1

Uchenna Ude, an award-winning Nigerian human rights activist and writer has launched a campaign tagged #HowIResist, which is aimed at promoting LGBT visibility in Nigeria and affirming that LGBT persons are resilient in the face of oppression and prejudice.

The aim of the campaign, he said, is  to reject the widespread lies that LGBT people “are living a lifestyle or that they are demon-possessed or in need of spiritual guidance.”

LGBT people show resilience in many ways, Ude said:

“They resist the unjust laws that seek to shut them in as prisoners or shut them out in the shadows.

“They resist the fellow countrymen and women who seek to invalidate them.

“They resist the lies that they do not matter.

“They resist by daring to live authentically and to love without fear.

“They resist from a place of shadows, but they resist all the same. In their everyday lives, they tell you: ‘I am here.’ “

He said that, over the next few days, he will share photos from the campaign, which will serve as “a response to prejudice, a determination of survival, and a statement of the fact that there are people among us who just want to live and let live.”

Photos in the campaign were submitted by “a number of LGBT young Nigerians who came together to lend their voices to provide visibility to the Nigerian LGBT community,” he said.

Below are some photos and quotations from the campaign.

Absalom.jpg?resize=550%2C550&ssl=1

Alex.jpg?resize=550%2C550&ssl=1

Asa-1.jpg?resize=550%2C550&ssl=1

Awele-1.jpg?resize=550%2C550&ssl=1

Ayanna-1.jpg?resize=550%2C550&ssl=1

Source

• Like 3

#HowIresist

I resist by being very confident in my sexuality, Embracing who I am, and not really caring much for acceptance, cos I think people get hurt when they are not accepted.. And you really can't force the world to accept you. Those who love me, accepts me, and it's all that matters to me. ☺ 

• Like 2

• Moderators

#HowIResist

I resist by not living a script, by refusing to conform and by standing my ground to live my truth (even if this truth is only known to myself and a few close friends). I resist by being true to myself, by using my freedom to be to simply be. I resist by evolving daily, by being a woman she can always be proud of and by keeping our dream alive. Yes, I resist because it is my life and guess who calls the shots? Yup. Me!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

They made this into an anthology..am actually reading it and thought to myself how do I/can I resist..

I resist by reminding myself each and everyday that sexuality does not define my worth. By dreaming to be me, needing no validation from anyone and knowing that am worth being here since I am human afterall.