Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Long distance dating

Prisca

• Moderators

"Yes I do" (said like the deloitte dude on big brother 😁) 

Provided both parties are committed to making it work. If two agree about a thing... 🙄📿

Why won't long distance relationship work for gay folks when one literally have to meet like over 1000 straight folks before meeting just one gay one (and you're damn lucky is she's your spec and like you too).  

• Like 2

Yeah, long relationships works just fine. Just like @kimi said, as long as the parties are committed to making it work. 

These days, I prefer long distance sef. don't want someone breathing down my neck. 

And I am living in Lagos, dating someone in Lagos too is long distance. Well, except she lives down my street. 

Now let me break long distance relationships into two, taking the Nigerian gay scene into consideration.

1) I am dating a girl 10000000 miles away from me and i have never seen her, no memories, I have no idea how she tastes, walks, smiles, talks. Those little things you remember and just smile. All i work with is hope, imagination, faith that one day the distance will close up and most times we literally break up before we legit see each other. Wtf!!!

2) I have dated my girl for 2 years, we have stayed together, been together for half of those years. I know her like the palm of my hand, i know her mannerisms, her gestures. When she laughs on the phone, i smile because i know how she looks while laughing. Then she gets a job and moves to Florida while i am still in Nigeria. Also long distance.

i can do number 2, i would rather number 2. But i really cannot fathom number 1. How do you fall in love with someone you haven't seen???? I would stick with my number 2 bae for years, until we can work something out, i would wait for her, i would keep myself, i would make sure distance is not a barrier, i would keep loving her as long as she doesnt change. It would definitely work with number 2 bae, but with number 1, its dead on arrival.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vina said:

1) I am dating a girl 10000000 miles away from me and i have never seen her, no memories, I have no idea how she tastes, walks, smiles, talks. Those little things you remember and just smile. All i work with is hope, imagination, faith that one day the distance will close up and most times we literally break up before we legit see each other. Wtf!!!

Lol this scenario you painted is quit funny. Unless you two live really really  far like across countries and neither of you can afford to go see the other. Else why rely on hope and imaginations when either of you can just go see the other within first few months Into the relationship. It's actually possible to fall in love with someone you've never meet before. To be attracted to her mind, opinion on certain issues, voice, laughter, sense of humor... Before even meeting the person. It's not that hard you know. Lol it just happens 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gimbiyya said:

Lol this scenario you painted is quit funny. Unless you two live really really  far like across countries and neither of you can afford to go see the other. Else why rely on hope and imaginations when either of you can just go see the other within first few months Into the relationship. It's actually possible to fall in love with someone you've never meet before. To be attracted to her mind, opinion on certain issues, voice, laughter, sense of humor... Before even meeting the person. It's not that hard you know. Lol it just happens 

Dude i cant!!!! The ones wey i dey see sef, i never fall in love with.

its a personal opinion. I am talking from my own view and experiences, everybody is different. Number 1 is not for me. Thanchu..

• Haha 1

On 20/04/2018 at 6:53 AM, kimi said:

Provided both parties are committed to making it work. If two agree about a thing... 🙄📿

You are absolutely correct.

Depends on what you mean by "work out". "It was beautiful the while it lasted"? Then yes, it works for me.

Long distance is all I've ever done. I've never really been with anyone who stays in the same city as I do. I don't know if that's delibrate, but I actually really feel that's the only thing that works well because of all the space you get and mutual respect of boundaries.

My opinion, long distance is crap!

1. Most partners are not faithful.

2. Sometimes when they finally meet, it doesn't work out.

3.  If they were together before, one just keep hoping while the other has already move on.

• 2 weeks later...

Gray areas....

LDR's work but they depend on so so much for them to work....so much that it gets tiring to keep up.

Most LDRs only give you the chance to meet the persons mind, their heart, their voice. You might love all that and not love the persons physical appearance. 

Pictures lie....we take 10pictures, delete 9, and keep the one that has us looking like superstars...

I have physically disappointed peeps but let me talk of the time I was physically disappointed. 

This girl, we were awesomeness on our chats....Her pictures made me feel she was a light shade of chocolate in complexion (forgive me for being a petty human). We met and she was as light skinned as a ripe mango fruit. My heart really sank....this wasn't going to work and of course it didn't.

I don't think much about cheating because being faithful in a relationship is so darn easy. Especially when the parties involved aren't idle people and know what the word 'character' means.

I've really tried long distance on different scales But I hasn't worked out for me.

I am a clingy kinda girl, I hate to pretend to be unnecessarily strong when am crazy about someone and if am dating you I wanna spend as much time with you as I can so that when that distance happens I will have a memory to hold unto. 

Long distance is mostly an illusion to me especially with people who think there's a pattern on which a relationship should work. 

Mbok, I love to cuddle and gist till midnight. 

I remember dating someone while in school, I was in Abuja and she was in Enugu. I drove to Enugu every two weekends and every opportunity I get to just be with her. That's me because Afterall I don't know how long I will have them for so why date someone in manfe while am in Kafanchan? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChazBee said:

I remember dating someone while in school, I was in Abuja and she was in Enugu. I drove to Enugu every two weekends and every opportunity I get to just be with her.

I don't understand. Is Enugu not far from Abuja? Is there a shortcut or something? Tbh, I'm confused,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

I don't understand. Is Enugu not far from Abuja? Is there a shortcut or something? Tbh, I'm confused,

Hawk... 

56 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Lol no, seriously. I want somebody to love me like that. Anh anh

Haha haha! 

I give up on you..😁 

17 hours ago, Hawken said:

It's very far oo, about 5 to 6 hours by road but I can do more for someone I call my own. I love hard girl

• 2 months later...

If a relationship is distant for years upon years, my people, is that really a relationship?? Or you guys are just phone buddies?? 

I am still reiterating it, no no no no no nah, kush nein, Mba, nay, never.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, vina said:

If a relationship is distant for years upon years, my people, is that really a relationship?? Or you guys are just phone buddies?? 

Hahahahaha. Please leave us alone 😁

• 5 months later...

I've only done this in one relationship and I believe it worked for so long because we were able to see each other often...she flew in often.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...