Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Are lesbians too demanding in their relationships compared to heterosexuals?

dequeen

I decided to compare lesbian relationships rather than homosexual relationships since I am not very familiar with how gay relationships work.

Basically, I noticed that in a lot of heterosexual relationships, forgiving offenses even as serious as cheating is normal. 'Water under the bridge' people say. It's normal to meet a couple who have been together for decades tell you of a time when either one of them had been physically manhandled by the other but 'he/ she has changed' comes the triumphant smile at the end. 

Lesbian relationships however seem to have a different story to tell. A minute argument could end a relationship. An unfounded, unconfirmed feeling of distrust could spell doom for a couple. Sometimes it seems like lesbians are looking to date angels while the heterosexuals are okay dating mortals with all their faults and all.

In several heterosexual relationships, exes getting back together and eventually getting married is normal, while lesbians scream 'my vomit?! Me lick my vomit!?' The statistics also make me wonder, considering that finding 6-8year old lesbian relationships in Nigeria has become as tedious as searching for a black goat in the night with no light.

What are your thoughts on this? Do we lesbians expect too much from our partners and our relationships? 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, dequeen said:

The statistics also make me wonder, considering that finding 6-8year old lesbian relationships in Nigeria has become as tedious as searching for a black goat in the night with no light.

Hahahaha. Such dramatic description. Lol

8-10 years relationship?? Lmao.

I guess the setback here is the fact that we do not have the right to get married. If things were better, I wouldn't be in a relationship for years when I could just marry her ass. But as nothing to hold us down nko? No promise of marriage, no accidental pregnancy, Jes a lot of sneaking around and relying solely on love which is sometimes never enough. #pheww.

It's well

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, vina said:

8-10 years relationship?? Lmao.

I guess the setback here is the fact that we do not have the right to get married. If things were better, I wouldn't be in a relationship for years when I could just marry her ass. But as nothing to hold us down nko? No promise of marriage, no accidental pregnancy, Jes a lot of sneaking around and relying solely on love which is sometimes never enough. #pheww.

It's well

Very valid points indeed. I didn't have a suitable response till I read this. 

I'd say it all depends on the individuals.. 

My friend is in a 9 yr long relationship and counting.. 

In my opinion, keeping a lesbian relationship is same as you'd do if you were in a heterosexual one. It's all about finding the spice, mutual respect, love and trust.  

How long lesbian relationships last depends on the couples and what really binds them together.

Haba @dequeen! one minute argument end a relationship? 😁 It happens though, but it's just funny thinking about it. 

The truth is most heterosexual relationships are just there even though nothing is happening between them any more. Some of the women just remain there for one reason or the other like for the sake of the children, religion, or social reason and they sometimes die unhappy.

While the men just go around finding their own happy place everywhere. 

I once had a friend she resulted telling her subconscious mind that she is a goal keeper. Meaning when ever the husband is done with those girls, she is always home to catch him. And sometimes the husband even forgets her place as his wife like when ever he does any major thing for the family, he comes demanding for sex that night like he would do with does other girls.

In that relationship, there is nothing for that woman other than the love she has for her children and when the children are grown and gone, l just see her in her lonely and empty life. 

And  alot of Nigeria heterosexual relationships are like that. Its like the woman has no right to be really happy. 

There was once a review l read about all forms of relationships and it was concluded that lesbians are the most happy couples.

It is a woman form to find her happy place when she can. Lesbians may have one  breakup or the other but when she finally find the one, she stick there for many years because she is truly happy. 

• Like 1