Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

We exist - we go waaaaaaay back.

Mimy

Chinese emperor Ai of Han, fell in love with a minor official, a man name Ding Xian, and bestowed upon him great political power and magnificent palace. Legend has it that one day while the two men were sleeping in the same bed, the emperor was roused from his sleep by pressing business. Dong Xian had fallen asleep across the emperor's robe, but rather than awaken his peaceful lover, the emperor cut his robe free at the sleeve. Thus "the passion of the cut sleeve" became a euphemism for same-sex love in China.- 

IMG_20181205_190559_253.jpg.799bcef03267921d5ef7de67802b93b0.jpg

The samurai practice age-structured homosexuality, which was called shudo. Ordinarily a samurai served his daimyo with honor and was expected to follow his lord in death. However, Mitsushige dislike the custom and asked his beloved samurai Tsunetomo to reject it upon his own death. Ironically, this break with tradition led to the samurai code being written down. Tsunetomo lived to retire into the mountains, where he dedicated to a young visiting samurai. His commentary would become the Hagahure, a seminal guide to samurai culture. 

IMG_20181205_194419_580.jpg

Mahmud of Ghazni founded the Gaznavid empire and ruled as a sultan. He fell in love with Malik Ayaz, a Turkish slave, and their relationship became the epitome of idealized love in Islamic legend and Sufi literature. As the story goes, Ayaz asked Mahmud who the most powerful man in the kingdom was. When the sultan replied that it was himself, Ayaz corrected him, claiming that in fact Ayaz was the most powerful, since Mahmud was his slave. The "slave to a slave" became a favorite trope in Persian literature.

IMG_20181205_192400_948.jpg

Khnumhotep and Niankhkhnum were ancient royal servants who shared the tittle "overseer of the Manicurist in the palace of king Niaserre." The two men are dipicted on their joint tomb in one of the most intimate poses allowed by Egyptian artistic conventions: face to face, with their noses touching. Niankhkhnum means "joined to  life" and Khnumhotep means "joined to the the blessed state of the dead"  together their names means "joined in life and death." They are believed to be the first same-sex couple in recorded history. 

IMG_20181205_191540_280.JPG

~ R.G.L

Today, I read somewhere that Japan has the shortest ban on sodomy because when the statute was made, the Samurai warriors threw a fit and had it repealed for obvious reasons..

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 9:45 PM, Hawken said:

Today, I read somewhere that Japan has the shortest ban on sodomy because when the statute was made, the Samurai warriors threw a fit and had it repealed for obvious reasons..

Yea that's true. I learnt it lasted for a decade. from 1872 to 1882, sodomy among men was even criminalized. However, since then, there have been no laws in Japan banning homosexual relations.

Until very recently, sexual acts in Japan were not linked to sexual identity. In other words, men who had sex with men and women who had sex with women did not consider themselves gay or lesbian.

In Japan, same-sex relations among children and adolescents have long been thought of as a normal phase of development, even today. From a cultural standpoint, it’s frowned upon only when it interferes with marriage and preserving a family’s lineage. For this reason, many people will have same-sex relationships while they’re young, then get married and have kids. And some even later resume having same-sex relationships after fulfilling these social obligations.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting, and in some traditional African homes, a titled man never sleeps with one woman at a time. In order to show his greatness he takes at least two women whom he allows to play with each other for some times while he watches and depending on his level of stamina, joins them in bed and makes love to one or both of them as long as his stamina can carry him.

It was also said that many wives started to practice this without their husbands while some got too carried away and avoided sleeping with their husbands because they fell in love with their co-wife and at the death of either of the wives the other leaves the marriage and never remarries.

(lemme go and look for that ebokk sef and find the name, BRB)

4 minutes ago, Mimy said:

Whoa @ChazBee. Please I'd love to have a copy of the ebook. 

Will look for it and sent to you, problem is sorting through all these piles of ebooks to find it. I just pray I haven't deleted it yet

4 hours ago, Mimy said:

@ChazBee, the book oo please 

Sorry dear, been looking for it please be patient. I'll check my flash when I get to Abuja. I've deleted from my tab.

22 minutes ago, ChazBee said:

Sorry dear, been looking for it please be patient. I'll check my flash when I get to Abuja. I've deleted from my tab.

Alright