Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Is There An Exception To This Rule?

kimi

• Moderators

Hello Girls, 

I see a lot of logic in Maya's (God bless her soul) popular saying: "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time."

With regards to a romantic relationship, does this rule apply or do you think there should be an exception to someone for instance who may have treated you badly while you two were dating?

An interesting question/topic.

I don't have a contribution...yet but I would like to hear/listen/read the views of others.

Looking forward to being educated😊

That is one of My favourite quote from Maya Angelou..

Like late Maya said, 'if someone tells you that they are unkind, mean, selfish' Believe them. And i could'nt agree more.

People's true nature cannot be hidden for too long.it always finds a way of seeping out.

For instance, while dating,and your girlfriend tells you things like 'you dont know who i am, i am capable of killing someone and not feel a thing' and then you laugh it off and say 'No you are not' and meanwhile she is damn serious. Hell, she might have done it before.

Or if she tells you that the last relationship she was in, she was always slapping her girlfriend. And you still stay with her. Until the day she slaps you too.

Now of course, there are exceptions..some people say things they not capable of doing in the heat of anger, or just because they being flippant. That doesnt count.

One way to wrap all these up? Having the spirit of discernment..its a gift i tell ya. It would save you from a whole lotta headache. If you don't have it, pray to God to bestow you with the gift to discern, an intuitive spirit.

I have this nasty habit of self bashing and showing that I've joined gang. 😂😂 @MENA, meeting me, said, "you like to act and show you're a bad girl but you are not really are." I get this from lots of people too. 

I guess I'm an exception. 😝

In the context of a relationship, my opinion is this, this cannot be applied. Everyone wanna look the best at first, and be on their best behaviours when meeting someone the first time, this includes monsters who hit their lovers or even kill them. Do you think their partner knew right from the first time that they are heartless? No way! They say first impression always matter, so we usually put an extra effort to "fake it". With a reference to what Ivy wrote, I'd say, if you wanna know someone, know their history first. Yes, it is very possible for someone who hit or cheated on their ex to do it to the next. People, however, always want to show their good side first. I'm not gonna tell you on our first date how I cheated on my spouse, but I probably might tell you how they disrespected me, which makes me the innocent victim. First impressions truly matter and at times you'll meet people who slip off their intolerable bad side in a reckless mistake the first time, and this time, I'd say, believe them the first time.