Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Nigeria On My Mind - What Can Be Done?

kimi

• Moderators

Hello ladies...

I've been quite pensive since I woke from a nap and for some reason, today, the focus seems to be Nigeria. First, I was tempted to think along the lines of how Nigeria has failed its youths most especially as the brightest and smartest roam the streets in search of opportunity. A country where everyday seems like a struggle and a hustle to just get by.

Then I thought to myself: "what would she look like if Nigeria were an actual human being?" I dared to conjure up the image of a child who grew up in prosperity, wild and free but suddenly had her childhood cut-short when she was bereaved of her parents and had to go live with foster parents. I imagined that child growing up under some form of oppression that often arises when one isn't fully embraced or welcomed into a family. In her teens, she is able to set herself free from foster care and then once again, she begins to make a name for herself with the help of mentors and teachers who wanted nothing but for her to succeed. This upward progression was also truncated when she meets a man who claimed to have loved her but who had other self-gratifying plans. From then on, man after man, experience after experience, her wealth and earnings were plundered. She was made redundant.

Now, she is 58. Looking back at her life and the decades of abuse and damage, we can only begin to understand how deeply ingrained the hurt is and perhaps why patience is required to nurse her back to soundness. 

My question now is this, as a people, what part can we play? What can be done individually or collectively to make her great again?

4 hours ago, kimi said:

great again

Our current president has caused me to really dislike this phrase, but my response would simply be activism in all forms. Minorities have overcome a variety of struggles through activism. @kimi Take the lead in making a difference and I will follow by helping you in any way I can 😀

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Our current president has caused me to really dislike this phrase, but my response would simply be activism in all forms. Minorities have overcome a variety of struggles through activism. @kimi Take the lead in making a difference and I will follow by helping you in any way I can 😀

Hahahahaha... thanks for the vote of confidence. 

Well for one, Nigeria sure has very poor taste in men. She should consider being a lesbian. Perhaps things may be different? Men after men and we are yet to see some major impact. 

Lesbians please arise... 🙄 

2 minutes ago, kimi said:

Well for one, Nigeria sure has very poor taste in men. She should consider being a lesbian. Perhaps things may be different? Men after men and we are yet to see some major impact. 

Do you know of any legitimate organizations making a difference there?

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Do you know of any legitimate organizations making a difference there?

There are small groups here and there at the local levels but I'm not able to vouch 100% for them

6 hours ago, kimi said:

Hello ladies...

I've been quite pensive since I woke from a nap and for some reason, today, the focus seems to be Nigeria. First, I was tempted to think along the lines of how Nigeria has failed its youths most especially as the brightest and smartest roam the streets in search of opportunity. A country where everyday seems like a struggle and a hustle to just get by.

Then I thought to myself: "what would she look like if Nigeria were an actual human being?" I dared to conjure up the image of a child who grew up in prosperity, wild and free but suddenly had her childhood cut-short when she was bereaved of her parents and had to go live with foster parents. I imagined that child growing up under some form of oppression that often arises when one isn't fully embraced or welcomed into a family. In her teens, she is able to set herself free from foster care and then once again, she begins to make a name for herself with the help of mentors and teachers who wanted nothing but for her to succeed. This upward progression was also truncated when she meets a man who claimed to have loved her but who had other self-gratifying plans. From then on, man after man, experience after experience, her wealth and earnings were plundered. She was made redundant.

Now, she is 58. Looking back at her life and the decades of abuse and damage, we can only begin to understand how deeply ingrained the hurt is and perhaps why patience is required to nurse her back to soundness. 

My question now is this, as a people, what part can we play? What can be done individually or collectively to make her great again?

Hhhmmm... *deep sigh*
I honestly don't even know what to say but I know that a lot of people are making efforts both individually and collectively.  
We all know the problems; poverty, hunger, low quality/no education, etc. 

People are working oh but it doesn't seem like it because they lack support from the government.

On an individual level, it could be to take a simple step as boycotting beef (Fulani herdsmen wahala), registering that child in your neighborhood in school (Nigeria has the highest number of out of school children in the world; serious wahala oh) hmmm...

Is it hunger? The number of people begging on the streets these days is alarming... there's just so much going! 

16 hours ago, kimi said:

She's straight. She prefer men with big curve cocks not fingers please. 😂

That said, trouble is she is not even the one willingly considering these shitty men. These men buy their way into her life. 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Mimy said:

That said, trouble is she is not even the one willingly considering these shitty men. These men buy their way into her life. 

419 looks good on you gurl 🙄🙌🏽🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

14 minutes ago, kimi said:

419 ☻ 🙌🏽🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Lol na so na. Beside it doesn't always end well with straight women who seek women because they're tired if their shitty men. We've seen what some of these women who came out to woo her did to her. They all pretended to have her best interest at heart. We all know how the story ends. 

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Mimy said:

Lol na so na. Beside it doesn't always end well with straight women who seek women because they're tired if their shitty men. We've seen what some of these women who came out to woo her did to her. They all pretended to have her best interest at heart. We all know how the story ends. 

Hahahaha. Your points I mean. You're (on) 419 😁

On 6/23/2019 at 4:13 PM, kimi said:

Great again, at 58? Nah. She's irredeemable at this point and no collaborative effort can save her now sadly. She's already at the brick of collapse and doomed to sink. 

2 hours ago, Mimy said:

😂

Nigeria has the leaders she deserves because leaders are a reflection of the people they govern.

So until we as individuals get better and start demanding accountability across all board, shun mediocrity and stop being self centered, this country isn't going to get better as a country.

• Like 1

The most popular act of selflessness that has come out of Nigeria in decades was that of Doctor Adadevoh.

Dare I say if it was one of our plenty leaders who was in her shoes that faithful day, we'd have a different history today.

My point is we just don't have enough good and selfless people in this country. We are all looking out for ourselves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawken said:

we just don't have enough good and selfless people in this country.

I'm blessed to have found one 😜