Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Job Stereotypes

kimi

• Moderators

Hello Girls,

So.... I just got back from the watch shop where I fit my watches to size. The owner of the shop is a man and his business partner is also a man. 

Today, I get there and I meet the attendant who is female. I hand her the watch and then she goes into the back office (workshop) and never came back. Lol. In previous times, she would go in there, hand my watch over to the man and come right out. 

So from the window, I asked if she was the one fitting it to which she replied with a yes. "Haaa!" (In my mind of course). My mind went into a bit of an overdrive. I tried to recall if I had mentioned to her that the watch was brand new. I started to think up the worst and how I would not walk away without compensation if the watch got damaged. On and on my thoughts went till I took a step back and reprimanded myself and allowed myself have more confidence in her ability -after all, she has been working there long enough. What could possibly go wrong with such a simple task?

This makes me wonder if we still unconsciously hold certain stereotypes about traditional male jobs being performed by women and vice versa.

Do share your stories. 

I Have never been one to put women in a box vis-a-vis Job stereotype. 

These days we have women mechanics, Barbers, painters, carpenters(saw a very attractive one some months ago) Some years back, our Gen was faulty,  And the Gen mechanic we usually use was out of town. So he told me he was sending someone over. Brethren, LO and Behold, it was a lady. I was 'shooked' shooked becos i was expecting a man.

My mum refused that she touch the Gen, she said the lady mechanic will spoil it beyond repair😀 I had to  persuade my mum to allow her service the Gen cos I knew its her job and she knows how to. I also reminded my mum of all the times she asked me to change the plug of the generator😀

Women these days are doing more of men jobs.. Talk about the cliche "what a man can do... "

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Txunamy said:

I Have never been one to put women in a box vis-a-vis Job stereotype. 

These days we have women mechanics, Barbers, painters, carpenters(saw a very attractive one some months ago) Some years back, our Gen was faulty,  And the Gen mechanic we usually use was out of town. So he told me he was sending someone over. Brethren, LO and Behold, it was a lady. I was 'shooked' shooked becos i was expecting a man.

My mum refused that she touch the Gen, she said the lady mechanic will spoil it beyond repair😀 I had to  persuade my mum to allow her service the Gen cos I knew its her job and she knows how to. I also reminded my mum of all the times she asked me to change the plug of the generator😀

Women these days are doing more of men jobs.. Talk about the cliche "what a man can do... "

Hahahaha... 

I'm pretty impressed that you have never had the thought. 

• Moderators

I remember back in the day when it was rare to find a man tending to your hair at the salon.

The first time I went to my usual hair place and was assigned to a male, I did question his ability to give my hair a good scrub (in my mind). Lol. I figured I would have to ask for a re-wash if I wasn't happy with the service. To my surprise, he spent forever scrubbing my head. I was the one who told him that I think my hair is clean now. Hahahahaha. 

It's pretty interesting how we have evolved especially in service-based industries. 

Things are still really traditional over here. The only jobs ladies take here are white collar jobs and force. Though roadside mama pot is still largely dominated by effeminate gay guys call 'Yan daudu. They make the best of masa and taushe, tuwon shinka, Dan wake and kus-kus. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Mimy said:

dominated by effeminate gay guys call 'Yan daudu. They make the best of masa and taushe, tuwon shinka, Dan wake and kus-kus. 

Wow... nice! ...and the people know they are gay you think? 

36 minutes ago, Mimy said:

Things are still really traditional over here. The only jobs ladies take here are white collar jobs and force. Though roadside mama pot is still largely dominated by effeminate gay guys call 'Yan daudu. They make the best of masa and taushe, tuwon shinka, Dan wake and kus-kus. 

Awww😀

2 hours ago, kimi said:

I remember back in the day when it was rare to find a man tending to your hair at the salon.

The first time I went to my usual hair place and was assigned to a male, I did question his ability to give my hair a good scrub (in my mind). Lol. I figured I would have to ask for a re-wash if I wasn't happy with the service. To my surprise, he spent forever scrubbing my head. I was the one who told him that I think my hair is clean now. Hahahahaha. 

It's pretty interesting how we have evolved especially in service-based industries. 

Yeah, I had that feeling too the first time a guy wanted to make my hair. There are so many men as hairdressers in Abuja. Guys from Benue precisely. They are even in lagos too. 

I still don't like a guy to make my hair. They linger too long on it. A hairdo of 2hours would take a guy 4hours. 😀

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Txunamy said:

still don't like a guy to make my hair. They linger too long on it. A hairdo of 2hours would take a guy 4hours. 😀

Hahahahahaha... they like to play with hair. It annoys me sometimes. Lol

15 hours ago, kimi said:

Wow... nice! ...and the people know they are gay you think? 

People know. Looking at it now, It's really strange how well accepted they are here. They live freely and strive in their businesses. I've known the word 'Dan daudu' even before I know what the word 'gay' means. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mimy said:

People know. Looking at it now, It's really strange how well accepted they are here. They live freely and strive in their businesses. I've known the word 'Dan daudu' even before I know what the word 'gay' means. 

The early gay men in Nigeria were from the North I suppose. .😀 I've got nothing to back it up, but its something everyone has always known.. 😀 in the North that is.. There are lots of them in Kaduna and Abuja. 

9 hours ago, Txunamy said:

The early gay men in Nigeria were from the North I suppose. .😀 I've got nothing to back it up, but its something everyone has always known.. 😀 in the North that is.. There are lots of them in Kaduna and Abuja. 

It could be, really. To be so well integrated into the strictly conservative north and Live freely tell something. Homosexuality is as old as north itself. 

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Mimy said:

It could be, really. To be so well integrated into the strictly conservative north and Live freely tell something. Homosexuality is as old as north itself. 

It's as old as humanity...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered Oride, and my driver turned out to be female. My female colleague was like, cancel the trip. And I was like hell no! I gave her a chance, although there's was a lot of questions in between the trip, because I was genuinely impressed with her. She's very professional and young.  I had a good ride to my destination. I am always excited when I see young women most especially take on "Men dominated Field'" and do so well in them. I trust they'd deliver and they always do. 

And also my loctician is male and he's doing a great job with my hair. I find jobs stereotypes odd and archaic. Just be competent with what you do (this isn't gender specific) doesn't matter the type of job and we are so good. 

• Like 1