Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Openly Gay Nigerian Student Shares Homophobic Experiences

FlyJ

• Administrators

The undergraduate student went on Twitter to share about 5 cases of homophobic assaults and harassments he has experienced living openly as gay in Nigeria.

Homophobic attacks are common in the country. Every day, the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, (LGBT) people are violated by state and non-state actors. Perpetrators enjoy impunity because the law doesn’t protect LGBTIQ+ people.

Religion and ignorance about LGBTI issues are the leading cause of homophobia in Nigeria.

Frustrated with his situation, Blaise who has suffered multiple human rights violations and a victim of several hate crimes says he is now struggling with his mental health.

“Everything that happened to me messed me up big time, I won’t lie. I still haven’t recovered from any of them. I now deal with a complicated paranoia and anxiety. I’m not in a good place mentally at all. Much has happened, I have passed them but I know many will still come” he tweeted.

Read his tweets below.

Source

• Like 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, FlyJ said:

“Everything that happened to me messed me up big time, I won’t lie. I still haven’t recovered from any of them. I now deal with a complicated paranoia and anxiety. I’m not in a good place mentally at all. Much has happened, I have passed them but I know many will still come” he tweeted.

Awwwwwh.... sighs... ☹

The page no longer exists. He must have taken them down.

Its one thing to be out to friends and family, its another to be so open, so much that you rub it in the face of homophobes.. (My opinion) 

Being in a country with laws against gays, its not a smart choice..

Even in America where it is allowed, , people are still skeptical about coming out, and "being out". 

When I come out out to family and friends, I would not carry a placard that says 'Hey, I am a lesbian'. 

Homophobic attacks only happens when you set yourself up to be attacked. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, kimi said:

Awwwwwh.... sighs... ☹

The page no longer exists. He must have taken them down.

My bad! Fixed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Txunamy said:

Its one thing to be out to friends and family, its another to be so open, so much that you rub it in the face of homophobes.. (My opinion) 

Being in a country with laws against gays, its not a smart choice..

Even in America where it is allowed, , people are still skeptical about coming out, and "being out". 

When I come out out to family and friends, I would not carry a placard that says 'Hey, I am a lesbian'. 

Homophobic attacks only happens when you set yourself up to be attacked. 

He said he is effeminate though. He doesn't need to carry a placard. How can one hide being a 'girly boy'? Not like all the people assaulting him follow him on SM to read the kind of content he posts. It's easier for femme lesbian to stay low (since they can pass as straight) than butch or studs. 

Plus this hiding thing can be really choking and exhausting. Not everyone master the act. 

PS it's not yet illegal to be gay I think. Isn't it gay relationships that is criminalized? 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wow.... these experiences are enough to drive one to suicide. I don't know what can be done. As it is.... it won't stop. Grrrr

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mimy said:

He said he is effeminate though. He doesn't need to carry a placard. How can one hide being a 'girly boy'? Not like all the people assaulting him follow him on SM to read the kind of content he posts. It's easier for femme lesbian to stay low (since they can pass as straight) than butch or studs. 

Plus this hiding thing can be really choking and exhausting. Not everyone master the act. 

I agree... sighs... it's just sad really. Depressing. 

5 hours ago, Mimy said:

PS it's not yet illegal to be gay I think. Isn't it gay relationships that is criminalized? 

The tweets did not pop up, so I didn't read the tweets before I made the comment. Just seeing it now. Now I understand better. Its so sad. And not like he can go into hiding. Effeminate guys go through a lot. 

• Like 1