Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

On Children and Poverty

kimi

• Moderators

This is such a sensitive topic and so, I'll treat it as such....

I was left with a question in my head and I honestly couldn't pick a side. I was listening to someone who was recounting the tale of her neighbours who have kids but who are unable to provide for them and as a result, the oldest, a 13 year old, is having to work... (I'll stop here to spare your eyes some tears).

So here is the question I put to myself: 

Is it really fair to say that the poor should not have children (until such a time that they can adequately provide for them)?

what are your thoughts?.

I'd prefer the positive view on this issue...diamonds are made from pressure. Any adult with the best intentions should be able to have children and raise them as they see fit within the limits of the law.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/26/2019 at 4:58 PM, kimi said:

This is such a sensitive topic and so, I'll treat it as such....

I was left with a question in my head and I honestly couldn't pick a side. I was listening to someone who was recounting the tale of her neighbours who have kids but who are unable to provide for them and as a result, the oldest, a 13 year old, is having to work... (I'll stop here to spare your eyes some tears).

So here is the question I put to myself: 

Is it really fair to say that the poor should not have children (until such a time that they can adequately provide for them)?

what are your thoughts?.

Too many factors come to mind when I think of this to be honest. Bearing children is a big deal for most people, so restricting them may not be the solution; I don't even know what the solution is😂 You talk to the women about family planning, etc and they tell you their husbands will never agree to that, yet you see them struggling to provide a meal/day for their children.