Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

• Administrators

Ahmaud Arbery shooting in Georgia: Video, grand jury, Greg McMichael

On Tuesday, a graphic video was posted online showing the deadly shooting of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery, an unarmed black man who was killed in February by two white men as he went for a jog in a Southern Georgia suburb. As video of the killing spread far and wide online, a Georgia prosecutor recommended the case go to a grand jury to decide whether to bring criminal charges.

In a statement shared on Facebook Tuesday morning, District Attorney Tom Durden, representing the Atlantic Judicial Circuit, said that after “careful” review of the evidence, “I am of the opinion that the case should be presented to the grand jury of Glynn County for consideration of criminal charges.”

The cellphone video, originally posted online by Georgia radio station WGIG Tuesday afternoon, appears to be taken from a person driving behind Arbery as he ran through the Satilla Shores neighborhood just outside of Brunswick, Ga., on Feb. 23.

Arbery, wearing a white t-shirt, can be seen running down one side of a sunny two-lane road when he comes upon a white pick-up truck parked in the middle of the street. On the driver’s side door is Travis McMichael, holding a shotgun, and in the bed of the truck is his father, Greg McMichael, who was also armed with a pistol.

Arbery runs on the passenger side of the truck before coming across the vehicle’s front, just as one shot goes off. Travis McMichael and Arbery struggle over Travis’s shotgun, as Greg can be seen drawing his own pistol. As they struggle over the gun, Travis and Arbery momentarily veer off-camera; the shotgun fires off again before they come back on camera. Arbery continues trying to fight Travis off before a third shot is fired, after which Arbery draws back and tries to run off.

He stumbles and collapses in the middle of the street, bleeding out in broad daylight. Police say he died on the scene.

Source

• Like 1

• Administrators

My first thought when I saw it went to a grand jury was that it was just another excuse for the DA to bury it, shrug, and say, “Hey, it wasn’t MY decision. Blame the grand jury!”

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Another tragedy, but it will not end with the grand jury.

You sure about that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FlyJ said:

You sure about that?

Yes, there will be justice one way or another 😀

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yes, there will be justice one way or another 😀

I honestly hope it doesn't end up like Travyon Martin's case. I don't trust the grand jury to decide on black cases.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlyJ said:

I honestly hope it doesn't end up like Travyon Martin's case. I don't trust the grand jury to decide on black cases.

I don't trust the government period.

Ah.. the jungle that is Amerikkaa.

Wasn't a guard also recently shot in the head because he told a girl to wear a face mask before entering a grocery shop? 

Another another young black man, who was in the airforce I think, was also recently shot. 10 times. And the cops who did the shooting were on video making jokes about it.

The racism in America is beyond ridiculous. The institutionalized hatred and disregard for black lives. Nah... 

And another one... 😔 

Can’t even bring myself to watch this tragic reality... hopefully it’s not just all noise till the dust settles AGAIN!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Hawken said:

Ah.. the jungle that is Amerikkaa.

Wasn't a guard also recently shot in the head because he told a girl to wear a face mask before entering a grocery shop? 

Another another young black man, who was in the airforce I think, was also recently shot. 10 times. And the cops who did the shooting were on video making jokes about it.

The racism in America is beyond ridiculous. The institutionalized hatred and disregard for black lives. Nah... 

Spot on! Also, not to forget the discrimination within the black race in America itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyJ said:

Spot on! Also, not to forget the discrimination within the black race in America itself. 

I don't believe I've experienced what you're speaking of, and I can't form an opinion solely based on what the media provides. I know that people of color have issues relating to shades, but this problem is worldwide...the bleaching product industry stays booming. I have, however, witnessed discrimination among Nigerians when it comes to placing the needs and wants of foreigners over those of their own citizens. My emotions on this are mixed...while reaping the benefits of it, I do find it disheartening and shameful that Nigerians value their own citizens less.

10 hours ago, FlyJ said:

I honestly don't get this one... Like why?

• Administrators
On 5/7/2020 at 2:46 PM, Michelle said:

I don't believe I've experienced what you're speaking of, and I can't form an opinion solely based on what the media provides. I know that people of color have issues relating to shades, but this problem is worldwide...the bleaching product industry stays booming. I have, however, witnessed discrimination among Nigerians when it comes to placing the needs and wants of foreigners over those of their own citizens. My emotions on this are mixed...while reaping the benefits of it, I do find it disheartening and shameful that Nigerians value their own citizens less.

Nigerians are culturally rich and respectful people, so treating visitors with reverence does not mean that they are better than us. Nigerians are accommodating and naturally hospitable people, and I am glad to know that you experienced that when you visited based on your comment.  We have a culture, and we were raised properly. We are not offended by every little thing; we have pride; we know how to "play/have fun." Something you might not understand. So, do not mistake that for - "Nigerians value their citizens less." 

• Like 2

This is the clearer version of the clip l saw initially. The sound of the that gun hit my chest. I still can't understand why people will hunt a fellow human like an animal without thinking that the boy could be their son.

The Judges are kind of avoiding the case because the man in question  have worked with most of the them before being a retired private investigator. 

I pray let justice prevail because that is a very wicked act.

The height of racism is in that country.

May his soul rest in peace and May God comfort his family.