Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

kimi

• Moderators

Okay... 

I'm not sure if this is a phase but I totally doubt it. I've been on this path for a couple of years now. Preferring made in Nigeria or Africa to those of the rest of the world.

Now, I am considering taking things a step further by being a traditionalist. You know, going back to the roots and embracing the very essence of our spiritualism before we were brainwashed by the west.

It's still a thought for now but I love the idea of it especially as I do not identify with any religion -(no future plans to). 

We were a people and had a culture and a system that worked before the invasion and its denigration and relegation.

...and if you are thinking these modern religions are "the only way", then think again....  those sort of thoughts are proof of the traces of the inferiority brought about by colonialism.

Hmmmnnn I see where you are coming from but a lot of our culture was/is harmful. I use culture as an umbrella because the traditional way of worship is tightly joined with a peoples way of life.

I can't deny that there must have been some violence involved in our conversion, but I want to believe that I would have gladly followed a religion that didn't say I must throw my twins into the bush, or my son who was born with dreads to the evil forest. Would also gladly have followed a religion that encouraged marriages that weren't forced, did not demonize widows and preached fairness to neighbors.

My point is Christianity as a religion was just way more humane. And definitely way less macabre than our own traditional way of worship. Back then, I would have totally decamped 😂

Do you get ?🤷

Meanwhile, when you say spiritualism, what exactly do you mean and how do you intend to get there? 👀

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hawken said:

My point is Christianity as a religion was just way more humane. And definitely way less macabre than our own traditional way of worship. Back then, I would have totally decamped 😂

Do you get ?🤷

Meanwhile, when you say spiritualism, what exactly do you mean and how do you intend to get there? 👀

Hahahahaha at the bit in bold. 

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

a religion that didn't say I must throw my twins into the bush, or my son who was born with dreads to the evil forest. Would also gladly have followed a religion that encouraged marriages that weren't forced, did not demonize widows and preached fairness to neighbors.

Is there such a religion in the Nigerian context? This is new to me... Isn't what you describe cultural practices seperate from divinity? I have read quite broadly about (at least) the Yorubas, divinity and  worship and sacrifices usually were demanded to appease lower gods etc... 

By traditionalism, I'm not refering to lower gods o, heck no. Lol.... but to the source of all life. I myself am a god so I don't need the smallies lol.

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

Spiritualism is so simple and I know that in usage, it has been adapted to suit each individual's preference (which is what it should be -a personal experience) . In my opinion now, it is your spirirual or soul journey to remembering where you've come from. 

How do you get there? Lol. Do You really get there? Not sure but for starters, you awaken.

Traditionalism for me means embarking on this soul journey from the Nigerian perspective 🤭 lol ☻ and understanding how it all ties in with what I now know to be true. 

As usual, you always make very well thought out responses. Always. 

On 8/21/2020 at 5:39 PM, kimi said:

Is there such a religion in the Nigerian context? This is new to me... Isn't what you describe cultural practices seperate from divinity? I have read quite broadly about (at least) the Yorubas, divinity and  worship and sacrifices usually were demanded to appease lower gods etc... 

Traditionalism for me means embarking on this soul journey from the Nigerian perspective 🤭 lol ☻ and understanding how it all ties in with what I now know to be true. 

I feel like our culture and our traditional way of worship are very intertwined. You do a lot of things because the "gods" say so. I mean, there is a reason we are trying so hard to separate religion from state in Nigeria. The two dominant religions have taken over our constitution.

Tbh, i have little or even zero understanding of other divinities. Definitely a bias of "every other god na so so yeye". And that bias is what will stop me from trying to find out because that's like saying my God isn't enough for me. And my God is. (Aside* i intentionally refused to use a pronoun 😂 so much woke)
I read an interesting article on twitter, in hindsight i wish i saved it. It was about how Christian missionaries demonized our way of worship (and made it equivalent to satanism) simply because they didn't understand it. It SPOKE a lot of TRUTH i won't lie..... Sigh, even as i type this, i realize how colored my opinions are by western teaching... But tbh, i still don't want to know these Nigerian divinities sha and i mean like on a personal level.. Because 1) Fear of the unknown and 2) Everything Nigerian is usually stressful, i don't expect this to be any different.

On 8/21/2020 at 5:39 PM, kimi said:

You bring out the best in me 😁😁😁
Although i just typed all these with a massive headache so i hope i made a little sense lol

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Hawken said:

Christian missionaries demonized our way of worship (and made it equivalent to satanism) simply because they didn't understand it. It SPOKE a lot of TRUTH i won't lie..... Sigh, even as i type this, i realize how colored my opinions are by western teaching.

These are truths.... a lot of damage was done to Africa not just by the missionaries but by all who came to colonize. 

The devastating effects are worse in other areas as well... a lot was condemned and erased.

But tbh, i still don't want to know these Nigerian divinities sha and i mean like on a personal level.. Because 1) Fear of the unknown and 2) Everything Nigerian is usually stressful, i don't expect this to be any different.

Hahahahahaha . 

You bring out the best in me 😁😁😁

Loooool ☻🙃

• Haha 1