Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

sad happenings, Nigeria which way

M2DD

I signed this Petition....

The effort by the Minister responsible for citizenship in Nigeria to blame the victims rather than take responsibility shows a callous disregard for the lives of Nigerians incompatible with his high Ministerial brief. It brings public service into disrepute. In the circumstances, we the undersigned, as citizens of Nigeria, respectfully demand that:

The Minister of the Interior, Comrade Abba Moro; and the Controller –General of Immigration, Mr. David Shikfu Parradang, be immediately relieved of their positions;

The Honorable Attorney-General of the Federation and the Inspector-General of Police together with the Director-General of State Security, should launch a joint criminal investigation into the deaths of these jobseekers;

An independent audit should immediately be instituted into the monies made by the Ministry and the NIS from the jobseekers and criminal investigations should be commenced as appropriate; 

Government should demonstrate a readiness to address the problem of youth unemployment as a national security priority through a partnership involving the agricultural sector, public sector, private sector, voluntary sector, and multi-laterals.

To the families across the country bereaved as a result of these and other on going challenges in our country, we take this opportunity to transmit heartfelt condolences and pray for the peaceful repose of the souls of our deceased brothers and sisters.

How on earth, do you take money from people seeking for jobs.

How on earth,do you register hundreds of thousands of applicants,knowing fully well that you need just 3000 people, this morning the President should sack the Minister of Interior and everybody involved in this, and the IG should arrest them.

This is really sad.

I dont understand how this is the minister's fault.

Are you saying there should be restriction in employment now or what? I believe the victims were aware that they won't take all of them and they weren't forced to pay,even this ongoing civil service recruitment applicants are to pay 1k too. one of the ways to raise revenue for the country.

please lets stop blaming the government for everything,they all knew what they were getting into. the last immigration recruitment about 20people died.

if the petition was to create more employment opportunities or to stop payment of the 1k then fine but the minister dint do anything wrong to me.

rip to the dead

I just love this dreamgal 2much,me too dont understand why we Nigerians re blaming d government for the death of this applicants. Its high time Nigerians start changing their mindsets towards things 4 our own good.i knw that things re hard but the truth must be told,if they had maintained orderliness maybe that wouldnt hv happened.impatient was d cause as everyone want 2 be d'first n nobody wan carry last. RIP 2 the dead.

I just love this dreamgal 2much,me too dont understand why we Nigerians re blaming d government for the death of this applicants. Its high time Nigerians start changing their mindsets towards things 4 our own good.i knw that things re hard but the truth must be told,if they had maintained orderliness maybe that wouldnt hv happened.impatient was d cause as everyone want 2 be d'first n nobody wan carry last. RIP 2 the dead.

love u too :)

• Administrators

I dont understand how this is the minister's fault.

Are you saying there should be restriction in employment now or what? I believe the victims were aware that they won't take all of them and they weren't forced to pay,even this ongoing civil service recruitment applicants are to pay 1k too. one of the ways to raise revenue for the country.

please lets stop blaming the government for everything,they all knew what they were getting into. the last immigration recruitment about 20people died.

if the petition was to create more employment opportunities or to stop payment of the 1k then fine but the minister dint do anything wrong to me.

rip to the dead

I beg to differ. Are you implying that the Minister was right to ask jobless youths to pay N1,000 to write employment test?

Why didn't the minister employ any written strategy for the crowd management and why was there no emergency plan drafted?

Who decided to conduct the entire recruitment exercise in one day instead of splitting it into several events?

We need to start holding people accountable and in this particular case the Minister should be held accountable for whatever happened on Saturday. It is a shame to say the least.

• Like 1

I beg to differ. Are you implying that the Minister was right to ask jobless youths to pay N1,000 to write employment test?

Why didn't the minister employ any written strategy for the crowd management and why was there no emergency plan drafted?

Who decided to conduct the entire recruitment exercise in one day instead of splitting it into several events?

We need to start holding people accountable and in this particular case the Minister should be held accountable for whatever happened on Saturday. It is a shame to say the least.

I still insist its not his fault,no one forced then to pay the 1k. whether its right or not,there werent forced and it normal to pay 1k that doesnt make it right though but this is not the first time.

it was the applicants who out of impatience decided to bring own the gate which led to the stampede and loss of lives,not the minister. its normal to have delay in exams,I remember the pume I wrote at delsu. the exam was 8am but we wrote it 4pm or there about,but even as kids we were cordinated.

when adults start behaving like animals they get treated as one,and thats why police officers started shooting and beating up people. just imagine.

yes they could have made it a 3days exam o to reduce the crowd since they werent able to maintain order but you can not put the blame on govt entirely.

• Administrators

I still insist its not his fault,no one forced then to pay the 1k. whether its right or not,there werent forced and it normal to pay 1k that doesnt make it right though but this is not the first time.

it was the applicants who out of impatience decided to bring own the gate which led to the stampede and loss of lives,not the minister. its normal to have delay in exams,I remember the pume I wrote at delsu. the exam was 8am but we wrote it 4pm or there about,but even as kids we were cordinated.

when adults start behaving like animals they get treated as one,and thats why police officers started shooting and beating up people. just imagine.

yes they could have made it a 3days exam o to reduce the crowd since they werent able to maintain order but you can not put the blame on govt entirely.

With the unemployment rate in Nigeria, people will pay anything to get a job. Not to talk of those that will even go as far as joining a cult to survive. You don't say no one forced them to pay so they are left to their fate. I see no reason why the Minister didn't make adequate arrangement to control the crowd even after collecting N1,000. Who gets the bulk of the money anyway?

• Like 1

People went and die for nothing when they have collected money from people that they will employ.the exam is for nothing.thats naija for you.rip to the dead people

Flyj u just copied n pasted what i had in my head ...weldone!...glad we've got some reasonably considerate smart asses on here! Bravo ma chère amie!..mwaah!....'just place urself in the dead people's shoes'...

With the unemployment rate in Nigeria, people will pay anything to get a job. Not to talk of those that will even go as far as joining a cult to survive. You don't say no one forced them to pay so they are left to their fate. I see no reason why the Minister didn't make adequate arrangement to control the crowd even after collecting N1,000. Who gets the bulk of the money anyway?

so who should be blamed the gullible nigerians or the govt? come nxt year they will still pay 1k to immigration and people will still die. its not govt,its the gullible citizens.

abt security they were police men there,one got beat up by the angry applicants. if the applicants were patient and obeyed simple rules,we wont be saying rip to anyone.

the money goes to the federal account,its a way of raising revenue by exploiting people that let themselves get exploited.

I agree govt could have done better and should have but the applicants could and should have cordinated themselves better

• Moderators

Why am I not surprised you would say such a thing. Are you saying because people behave like animals they deserve to be shoot and beaten up, and to call them "gullible" again is just disgusting. People died, and you're sitting on your high horse calling them "gullible". But since you think Government can do whatever Government wants to do, regardless of our rights, I am not surprised.

If they only had accommodation for 4000, they should have only collected money from the 4000.

• Administrators

so who should be blamed the gullible nigerians or the govt? come nxt year they will still pay 1k to immigration and people will still die. its not govt,its the gullible citizens.

abt security they were police men there,one got beat up by the angry applicants. if the applicants were patient and obeyed simple rules,we wont be saying rip to anyone.

the money goes to the federal account,its a way of raising revenue by exploiting people that let themselves get exploited.

I agree govt could have done better and should have but the applicants could and should have cordinated themselves better

It is not nice of you to call people "Gullible" knowing fully well that the search of a better life lead most to their death. I question the reasoning of those who participate in "Hasty Generalization". We all know that leaving security to the trigger happy Nigerian police is as good as throwing the people to the dogs. So the police variable is out of the equation.

Who told you that the money was remitted to the Federal Account? Can you back this up or is it a "Save Face Statement"?

The only thing I agree with you on is the "Government should have done better statement".

Having said that, I hope the President holds those in charge accountable.

• Like 1

@dreamgal, I'm shocked at your comments.I won't get into an argument with u cuz u r opinionated.Have it @ the back of ur mind that one of the deceased could have been your relative, would u have called the person gullible? Do u know the tears this deaths have brought. You should mind your words. @moresko, I still do not think Govt should take a dime from people looking to earn a living, I mean, u pay so much passing through the 4 walls of school, it's the responsibility of the Govt to provide jobs for citizens not extort money from citizens. They wanted to emply 3000 people, the idiots could have taken that much application, for crying out loud we are in the 21st century, what happened to the internet? They could have been able to screen out the unwanted people online, and at the end of the day, downsize the lot to 10,000.Then the exams should have started,and not just one sitting, like *** or 4 times, do it for months, eliminating people at every stage. You see why old people in their 60s have to leave power and Govt, for young people to take over.

• Moderators

@dreamgal, I'm shocked at your comments.I won't get into an argument with u cuz u r opinionated.Have it @ the back of ur mind that one of the deceased could have been your relative, would u have called the person gullible? Do u know the tears this deaths have brought. You should mind your words. @moresko, I still do not think Govt should take a dime from people looking to earn a living, I mean, u pay so much passing through the 4 walls of school, it's the responsibility of the Govt to provide jobs for citizens not extort money from citizens. They wanted to emply 3000 people, the idiots could have taken that much application, for crying out loud we are in the 21st century, what happened to the internet? They could have been able to screen out the unwanted people online, and at the end of the day, downsize the lot to 10,000.Then the exams should have started,and not just one sitting, like *** or 4 times, do it for months, eliminating people at every stage. You see why old people in their 60s have to leave power and Govt, for young people to take over.

I totally agree with you, Government should not take a dime from people looking to earn a living. I was just pointing out since they had already taken the money, they are required to provide the service in a safe and orderly manner.

Why am I not surprised you would say such a thing. Are you saying because people behave like animals they deserve to be shoot and beaten up, and to call them "gullible" again is just disgusting. People died, and you're sitting on your high horse calling them "gullible". But since you think Government can do whatever Government wants to do, regardless of our rights, I am not surprised.

If they only had accommodation for 4000, they should have only collected money from the 4000.

its sad they died but doesnt change the fact that they are gullible. like I said this wont be the first or the last,I dnt think I will pity a pregnant woman who joined the crowd and died rather I pity the baby who unfortunately had an irresponsible mother and died.

It is not nice of you to call people "Gullible" knowing fully well that the search of a better life lead most to their death. I question the reasoning of those who participate in "Hasty Generalization". We all know that leaving security to the trigger happy Nigerian police is as good as throwing the people to the dogs. So the police variable is out of the equation.

Who told you that the money was remitted to the Federal Account? Can you back this up or is it a "Save Face Statement"?

The only thing I agree with you on is the "Government should have done better statement".

Having said that, I hope the President holds those in charge accountable.

well it is supposed to go to the federal account all things being equal but I dont know if corruption will let it get there.

well,ur opinion though

firstly sentiments wont solve the problem,they wre gullible and desperate I can only hope nigerians will learn from their mistakes and not repeat it.

also none of my family or friends after seeing such crowd wil go into it,still its unfortunate.

There was a gunshot fired once to disperse the

uncontrollable crowd on the field. Stella, I was so

scared for people they way they were fighting,

jumping each other just to get the question paper.

At 3pm I had enjoyed the drama because

obviously, it will be stupid to think that anything

useful will come out of the exercise. It was a

waste of time!!

I saw a young NIS official collecting the question

paper, we just gave her the question papers.

People were looking for their bags, their

certificates, because they had said we should

come along with our original certificate. I went

with my acknowledgement slip, biro, IDcard,&

enough money. How can you go for a test with

your original certificates, anything can happen.

However, the media didn't report that there was a

protest yesterday. People carried placards and

were running round the field. Then they took it

outside. They blocked the road. Right from

stadium on both lanes. I had to walk from stadium

to ojuelegba & had to pay 400 for a fare of 100.

My friend who was going to the island said they

didn't allow people pass until 6:30pm. The media

didn't report that.

My take out of the exercise: NIS didn't have the

intention of defrauding people& paid out of

curiosity. I know people who applied for custom&

didn't know anyone & they were employed.

The test should have been done in batches. They

cannot claim not to know the number of

applicants. That will be a lie. Diffrent days for

different grades.

Yes, the applicants were also at fault. If they were

orderly & behaved like adults. For goodness sake,

there were seats. If we were all seated decently,

there is no way they would that little official will

use teargas on them.

I will vote in 2015. I will ensure that I vote

responsibly. I was exposed to the unemployment

situation in Nigeria for the 1st time & trust me, it

is a shame that the government claimed to hv

provided 1mil jobs. Where are the jobs?

At this point, can we still say God bless Nigeria?

When it is obvious that we can't even help

ourselves.

this was gotten from a blog by an eye witness,if you still believe govt alone should be blamed then ok. I live you to your opinion,but will hope that 2015 this same crowd will go out and vote for the right man. I rest my case.

• Moderators

waste of time!!

didn't report that.

different grades.

use teargas on them.

ourselves.

this was gotten from a blog by an eye witness,if you still believe govt alone should be blamed then ok. I live you to your opinion,but will hope that 2015 this same crowd will go out and vote for the right man. I rest my case.

So the trigger happy Nigerian police fired live ammunition in a place filled with people, and that is supposed to calm the chaos, seriously? The NIS created a situation they had no control over, but you want to blame the "gullible" victims and "irresponsible" mother because they had the audacity to be desperate for jobs.

waste of time!!

didn't report that.

different grades.

use teargas on them.

ourselves.

@dreamgal u dont hv 2 convince anybody as they hv the rights 2 what they want 2 believe but for me,i think they said a word is enough 4 a wise. Let this be as a lesson 2 our impatient youths that thinks that everything its obtained by force. Am not happy that people lost their lives but the applicants contributed to the deaths.and 4 a pregnant woman seeing such crowd n decided 2 enter it is stupid,am sorry 2 say,i applied 4 d job but due to the population n'my condition,my husband asked me not 2 attend n'i wasnt even planning 2 try it cos that is a succide mission.

@ DreamGal and HB2 I am very suprise by your opinions on this. What a shame. Your analogy is off...way off. How can you sit there and blame the people for this. The government are 110% to be blame. Don't they have common sense? Oh I forgot common sense isn't common at all, it takes only a wise man to know the difference and the proper thing to do.

First, this is not a party. I understand you may not be exposed to the proper way things are done, so let me explain to you:

Nigerian Immigration should have a functioning web site where all available positions and minimum job and educational requirements should be advertised. Prospective candidates (be it 1 million or 2) can access the web site, complete the applications and upload their resumes. The HR staff will screen the applications and then select the best candidates that will be invited for test. You do not invite a million people for that kind of test. What kind of brain do you have? Possibly, ten or 15 of the selected candidates can be tested and interviewed per day until they have gone through the list of best candidates. They can then make their final selections and send job offers to those that they believe are the best candidates for the respective job. No money changes hand, nobody gets hurt. That's how its supposed to be done.

People shouldn't have to die before government try to make amend or look for a positive way forward. personally that's sheer stupidity and arrant nonsense. The governmen should be held responsible for this.