Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

FRENCH OPEN

Iris

• 11 months later...

FRENCH OPEN 2015

24 May - 7 June

The 2015 French Open is a tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts. The event will be the 114th edition of the French Open and the second Grand Slam event of the year. It will take place at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris from 24 May to 7 June. The tournament will consist of events for professional players in singles, doubles and mixed doubles play. Junior players under 18 (both boys and girls) and wheelchair players will also take part in singles and doubles events.

Rafael Nadal is the five-time defending champion in the men's singles, while Maria Sharapova will be defending the women's singles title.

The total prize money for the tournament is €28,028,600, an increase of €*** million compared to the previous edition. The winners of the men's and women's singles title will receive €1,800,000, an increase of 9% compared to 2014.

I'm sure there are fans following this? The French Open is one of the four 'major's in tennis tournaments.

FRENCH OPEN 2015

24 May - 7 June

Day 2 (25 May)

Highlights/ four interesting matches to watchout for :

(An Individual opinion)

-- Kaia Kanepi vs. Maria Sharapova [2]

Match point: Court Philippe Chatrier (Center Court)

Sharapova is the defending women's champion, and a though lead to follow. She has maintained a fantastic record here at Roland Garros. Yet she has in an opponent, Kaia Kanepi who is ranked world number 49 and has many titles to her name. Kanepi is a five time major quarter finalist, and has four WTA Tour titles to her credit (three of three of which have come on clay!) It will be an interseting meet, never the less, a tough one.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

-- Martin Klizan vs. Frances Tiafoe

Match point: Court 5

Tiafoe is 17, has an 0-1 ATP record, has never played a match in a main draw at a Grand Slam, and as of this weekend was ranked No. 287. Yet the eyes of U.S. tennis will be on him as opens play on Court 5 on Monday. He’s the most highly touted American junior in recent years, and the only one to sign up with Jay-Z’s agency—he could, in other words, be very good for U.S. tennis. But is he good enough to beat the 36th-ranked Klizan, who knocked off Kei Nishikori in Paris last spring, and Rafael Nadal in Beijing later in the year? .

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

-- Venus Williams [15] vs. Sloane Stephens

Match point: Court Suzanne Lenglen (Grandstand)

Stephens already has a fairly extensive history, on court and off, with the younger of the Williams sisters, but she has never faced the elder. Sloane says that clay is her favourite surface, and she has backed up those words at the French Open, where she has reached the fourth round each of the last three years. She’s also coming off a semi-final result at Strasbourg last week.

Venus was a finalist at Roland Garros back in 2002 (when Sloane was all of nine years old), but in her last three trips, she’s won a total of two matches. This one could be close, but the 15th-ranked Venus should have the edge, mentally if not physically, over the 41st-ranked Sloane.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

-- Sam Stosur [26] vs. Madison Brengle

Match point: Court three

While it doesn’t involve a top seed, this match could have a bearing on the outcome of the women’s event. Stosur may be the game’s unlikeliest dirtballer; the Aussie reached the final at Roland Garros in 2010 and comes in this year after winning the tune-up event in Strasbourg. If she reaches the third round in Paris, she could face Maria Sharapova. Last year Stosur led Sharapova by a set here before collapsing 6-0 in the third; the winner of another meeting between them would be in a strong position to go very deep in the tournament. But Brengle, a 25-year-old American, could play the spoiler. She nearly beat Stosur in their only meeting, and had a nice run on clay in Stuttgart last month.

One year later....

Andy Murray is leading at the moment. Venus as well (too early to call ).

Maria's winning start.

(Dull moment. Trying).

FRENCH OPEN 2015

24 May - 7 June

Day 5 (28 May)

Highlights/ must see matches:

*Serena Williams thrashes German Anna-Lena Friedsam five - seven, six - three, two one*

......................................................................................

-- Rafael Nadal [6] vs. Nicolas Almagro

Match point: Court Philippe Chatrier (Center Court)

Nadal will go up against Almagro, a former Top 10 player and fellow Spanish clay lover. On the plus side for Nadal, Almagro is also one of his longtime second-fiddles—Rafa is 12-1 against him—and he’s currently ranked 154th. On the minus side, Almagro’s lone win came not that long ago (last spring on clay in Barcelona), and he pushed him to two tiebreakers when they played at Roland Garros in 2010. This will be a test.

.....................................................................................

--Madison Keys [16] vs. Belinda Bencic

Match point: Court 7

It’s all about the future here, starting with the fact that the 20-year-old American and the 18-year-old Swiss have no past: This will be the first meeting between what most of us believe will be two Top 10 players. Keys has a bigger game, a higher ranking (No. 16 to Bencic’s 35), and a semifinal Slam run on her résumé. But Bencic, a subtle point-constructor in the mold of Martina Hingis, is the more natural player on clay. The rallies will largely be on Keys’ racquet, but the opposing strengths and weaknesses of these young women could blend into something intriguing and hopefully competitive.

.....................................................................................

Thanasi Kokkinakis vs. Bernard Tomic

Match point: Court 7

Kokkinakis and Tomic, will face off. They put on a quality show when they played in Indian Wells earlier this year, in a match won by Tomic 6-4 in the third set. Kokkinakis, 19, is making steady progress—his ranking is up 66 spots since the start of 2015—and a win over Tomic would seem to be the next logical step. “The last match at Indian Wells,” Kokkinakis said earlier this week, “I really felt like I should have won, to be honest.” As for Bernie, he’s been something less than clutch this spring, losing three straight matches in third-set tiebreakers. But he survived another scare, and a serious case of fatigue, in his first-rounder against Luca Vanni, and he’ll surely be motivated to keep Kokkinakis under his wing a little longer.

French Open 2015:

Sharapova exits, Williams advance

Maria Sharapova the current French Open women's champion surprisingly departed Roland Garros, Monday

Maria Sharapova, last year's winner, had overcame illness to reach the second week but she couldn't get past an inspired Lucie Safarova on Monday.

Sharapova fell 7-6 (7- three ) 6-4 to the 13th seed in the fourth round, making it the Russian's earliest exit in southwest Paris since crashing out in round three in 2010. Later, world No. 1 Serena Williams barely avoided an upset defeat, again, rallying to beat fellow American Sloane Stephens 1-6 7-5 6-***.

But having survived three tricky matches in a row -- and with only one other top-10 player remaining in Ana Ivanovic -- Williams is now the substantial favorite to lift the title Saturday and bag a 20th major.

Stopping Williams at this juncture of grand slams is difficult, as her rivals will attest.

Safarova struck 34 winners to go along with only 22 unforced errors in a match pushed back to Monday because of rain. The Czech sealed the affair with a vicious cross-court forehand to reach the quarterfinals at Roland Garros for the first time, ending a run of four straight defeats against the second-ranked Sharapova.

"I felt like I had small openings," Sharapova told reporters. "I just wasn't able to keep that level up today. She was able to do that for a longer period of time.

"She was the much more aggressive player. She took the time away from me, created her angles and I didn't. That was the difference today."

Sharapova had last week refused to conduct post-match interviews on court because she wanted to preserve energy and her shrieks when striking the ball were largely muted as she battled a cough. But Sharapova has never been the type to make excuses, and she wasn't about to begin Monday.

"I'm still a competitor no matter what," she said. "I'm going to do everything in order to go out and give it my best, and I think I did the best I could. Today it wasn't enough, because my opponent had a different gear than I did."

Safarova next confronts Spanish 21st seed Garbine Muguruza, who defeated Italy's Flavia Pennetta 6-*** 6-4 in another fourth-round clash. Muguruza stunned Williams at Roland Garros in 2014 on the way to a maiden grand slam quarterfinal.

Stanislas Wawrinka knocks out Roger Federer at French Open...I didn't see that coming. .

Djokovic vs. Nadal: A Quarterfinal That Feels Like a Final.

Rafael Nadal, the nine-time French Open champion, will indeed face Novak Djokovic, the world’s indisputable No. 1 player, in the quarterfinals at Roland Garros.

Am absolutely rooting for Novak Djokovic

Day 12:

ROLAND-GARROS Takeover:

The women play their semifinals today, with:

Ana Ivanovic vs. Lucie Safarova

&

Serena Williams vs. Timea Bacsinszky.

Who will reach the final?

Serena Williams will definitely win. So that leaves hmm lucie safarova. ..Although Ana ivanovic might surprise me.

My finals. Serena Williams vs Lucie safarva

LUCIE TO FiNALS.

Lucie Safarova beats Ana Ivanovic at French Open to reach first slam final!

Lucie Safarova continued her remarkable run at the French Open by defeating Ana Ivanovic 7-5, 7-5 to advance to her first grand slam final at the age of 28.

Serena Williams remains on course to win her third French Open title after overcoming Timea Bacsinszky in three sets in the semi finals.

Williams had to come from a set down, losing the first 6-4, before overpowering the Number 23 seed 6-***. 6-0 to advance to her second Roland Garros final in three years.

The World number One needs three more Grand Slam titles to equal Steffi Graf’s record on 22 titles.

Williams will face Australian Open champion Lucie Safarova in the final on Saturday after the Czech star defeated Ana Ivanovic 7-5 7-5 earlier today.

It will be Safaraova’s first appearance in the French Open final. In her previous ten appearances on the Parisian clay, she never went further than the Fourth Round.

I do hope Serena will do better than she did today otherwise Lucie is going to capitalize on that.

One may be tempted to say experience will count most in this women's final match that promises to be intriguing?

The differences in experience between the two are glaring!

Yet, Safarova is desperate for a grand slam title and has taken down some big names en route the title match. She also seems to be playing the best tennis of her career.

And Williams has been under heavy pressure of being eliminated on several occasions in this tournament, this may be due to her illness. If you watched, she was in distress most of yesterday as she matched against Bacsinszky.

I'm hoping her health improves and hoping Safarova plays her best too.

I'll only be counting points tomorrow from 9am

Today at french open (still checking out Lucie's form)

Matches I'll be following will be:

(Women Doubles semi finals)

Lucie Safarova and Bethanie Matek Sands

vs

Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradeka

Cassey Dellaqua and Yaroslava Shvedova.

VS

Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.

(Men's singles semi finals)

Novak Djokovic vs Andy Murray

Jo - Wilfried Tsonga vs Stan Wawrinka

French Open 2015:

The Winners: 6.6.2015/ 7.6.2015

Hope we all enjoyed the clay? Time now to dust off the clay for all the involved - as the winners go celebrate. We'll celebrate too.

While waiting for the next grand slam, this time on grass in Wimbledon! Great Britain. From 29.06 - 12.07.2015

Knowing it'd be as exciting as this tournament was, for every tennis fan. Filled with surprises too.

Fans I'm sure recalled how it happened? Yet let's officially draw the curtains on this

WOMEN'S SINGLES: World number one, Serena Williams beat Lucie SAFAROVA 6-***, 6-7, 6-2, to become French Open 2015 women's champion, making it her 20th grand slam title.

It means Williams, who also won the Australian Open in January, is now only two short of Steffi Graf's 22 major titles and four away from Margaret Court's all-time best 24.

MEN'S SINGLES: For the men, Stan WAWRINKA became clay's new king. He shocked the world number one, Novak DJOKOVIC - and the tennis world in general - with a 6-4, 4-6, ***-6, 4-6 victory. Denying the world number one his first title at Roland Garros

WOMEN'S DOUBLES; Women's Doubles winners wereBethanie Mattek-Sands / Lucie Šafářová (Congrats to you two and wish Lucie a steady improvement for next competition)

MEN'S DOUBLES: Men's Doubles winners Ivan Dodig / Marcelo Melo.

Congratulations to all and check out their monetary prizes,..