Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

A Little Truth.!

Abystacy

There's this Big (I mean very expensive) Nursery and Primary school in the estate where i grew up in Satellite town. I know it's very expensive because some of my nephews passed through the school. Today as an adult, i tried to reflect on it. What they do every morning between 7:30 am to 9am is sing praises and pray. Yes, they use the high mechanised PA system. The megaphone pierces into the remotest corners of the big Prototype Estate and they sing and pray *** hours everyday for the whole week, month, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Terms! 

Now, the content of the singing and praying is what bothers me. During this period of the day on the assembly, these young naïve innocent little minds are fed with over 200 "In the name of Jeeesus" to which the kids respond a chorusing "aaAmeeen!" 200 times over. The prayer teachers (I don't really know what to call them) say things like "May your enemies never see your families iiiinnn da naaaaaame of Jeeeesus!" And then the "Eemeeeeehn!" No, the school isn't owned by the Mountain of Fire Church... (Am not sure anyway) but they also say "holy ghoooooooost FIRE!" over 50times! And then comes the preaching 30 minutes... And then comes the just 2 minutes national anthem and their PMS anthem. Just 2 minutes! 

These little innocent children will one day become leaders of our society for good stuffs' sake. Yet they are being stewed in this type of religious abuse? (Or bondage!) The psychological implication of this system of education (which I know is happening in over 90% of our especially primary and secondary schools and even the creches) is glaringly scaring. When you fed little kids with such religious craps as early as possible everyday, exhausting and sapping all the energy in their little porous brains, what other room is left in their little faculties to assimilate normal intelligence and education for the rest of the day? You see this when as soon as the classes commences for the day, the very little ones in creches or nurseries start crying and hooting in innocent protest and of course the tired impatient teachers snapping and shouting them down, or even using whips to get the kids attention. Some would start sleeping out of tiredness or struggling to stay awake. Every little move or un-orderliness triggers provocation and snappy nags from the grade teacher to the pupils and among the pupils themselves. Why would they not be tired when their early morning assimilating faculties have been drenched with over -zealous religious abracadabra... 

Today as I was getting ready to rush out for the day, I couldn't but notice that we are not only being stagnant as a nation but doomed if these apparently overlooked traditions were not brought to strict re-evaluationing and adjusting. Our ministry of education has to take into consideration most of these 'ofnly' ignored excesses. They go way down into the future with us and make us stuck and 'fumble' in confusion.

Religion should be re- defined in nigeria to serve the nation and not the other way round. Recently I saw photos of our dear president kneeling down in the mist of over 30 top influential and rich pastors while they pour jargon of prayers with hands stretched on the president... That was absolutely ridiculous (and of course, such pastors got the government back-up in their dubious pastoring businesses). 

I'm not saying that we should do away with religions. That would be practically impossible as religion could be someone else's personal right which could be fundamental as well, but we must give a voice out to control the obnoxious excesses of religions in Nigeria. It has been the cause of our backwardness and the root of all the evil we blame on politics and money in this country. If we set ourselves free from religious shackles, leaders will emerge who will make policies base on common sense and not base on bibles and qurans 

Have good week every one.

Not happening anytime soon. Religion is the opium of the masses and Nigeria has got too many masses. However in the next *** to 4 generations, serious consideration will be given to this issue.

Well From all indications in Nigeria especially, man has become a slave to religion & being more catholic than the Pope.

we've got a long way to go but with the increasing number of atheists and free thinkers in Nigeria, we'll get there. I for one have vowed to not put my kids in such religious schools. Reminds me of when my mom accused me of being an atheist because I said you got the promised mansion when you were dead. Lol.....

Religion,politics,tribalism and greed are the biggest problems we have in this country. Christians and Muslims have turned Nigeria into a religious nation, we need to start making decisions that are best for our us as a nation and not best for our religion.

Imagine a country that supports paedophiles and condemns homosexuals,just because the major religions permits the former and condemns the latter.

laws are no more made to protect citizens esp the minority.

although religion has its good side(cause many ppl are good today because of religion),so far it has caused more harm than good. esp these Muslim extremist

The situation is worse in the Horn of Africa. You dont need religion to be a decent person; morality is falsely attributed to religion when it has a social, evolutionary foundation.

Please dont get me started I have spent the better part of my early twenties digging myself out of Islamic indoctrination and now just thinking about it makes me angry of what it stole from my life. That's what religion does it steals time, it tells you that you have time, ever lasting time when really stealing your time.

Imagine an employer that hires you but only under the condition that you receive payment for your services after you're dead. How many of you would take that deal? But so many of our ppl every Sunday and Friday not only make that deal but go back to "strengthen their Iman (faith) to this nonsense, some pay for the privilege. Sickening

The situation is worse in the Horn of Africa. You dont need religion to be a decent person; morality is falsely attributed to religion when it has a social, evolutionary foundation.

Please dont get me started I have spent the better part of my early twenties digging myself out of Islamic indoctrination and now just thinking about it makes me angry of what it stole from my life. That's what religion does it steals time, it tells you that you have time, ever lasting time when really stealing your time.

Imagine an employer that hires you but only under the condition that you receive payment for your services after you're dead. How many of you would take that deal? But so many of our ppl every Sunday and Friday not only make that deal but go back to "strengthen their Iman (faith) to this nonsense, some pay for the privilege. Sickening

well said...