Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Protect your health, avoid generator fumes!!!

FlyJ

• Administrators

Generator-Fumes-612x300.jpg

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless, non-irritating gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of carbon fuels. Common sources of carbon monoxide are unventilated kerosene, gasoline engines, automobile exhaust, or fumes from generators.

When you breathe in too much carbon monoxide, it replaces the oxygen in your blood. Without oxygen, cells throughout the body die, and the organs stop working.

Among all the potential sources of carbon monoxide, the most common in our country today are the fumes of generators. Inhalation of the fumes emitted by our generators may be long-term hazards or even result in death.

Reports of death through generator-related accidents have, indeed, become more common in Nigeria due to the epileptic power supply by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria.

Many people have had to rely on generators of different kinds, with all the dire implications. In some cases, an entire family has been wiped out as a result of inhaling dangerous fumes from their generators.

A few years ago, I remember the story of a tragedy that left seven family members dead. Mr. Samuel Udeh lost his pregnant wife, their five children aged between one and 10 years, and a ward to exhaust fumes from generator.

I also remember another newspaper report about a place called Urum in Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State where four persons, including a 95-year-old man, died in their rooms as a result of suspected fumes from a generator. Most of the deaths recorded were as a result of unsafe generator use in badly ventilated environments.

Like earlier reiterated, the great danger with this gas called carbon monoxide is that you cannot see, smell, or taste it.

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness and nausea. As carbon monoxide builds up in the blood, symptoms get worse and may include confusion and drowsiness, increased respiratory rate, increased heart rate or chest pain, vision problems and seizures.

Pets also affected

It is also quite interesting to note that carbon monoxide toxicity is not limited to humans. Pets can also be affected if your generator is close to where the pet house is.

The warning signs of carbon monoxide in your pets include drowsiness, lethargy, weakness in coordination, bright red colour to skin and gums, dyspnoea (trouble breathing), coma, abrupt death and, occasionally, chronic (low-grade, long-term) exposure may cause exercise intolerance, changes in gait (walking) and disturbances of normal reflexes.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in your pet, it may be an early indicator that your environment contains these deadly fumes, and you and your family may be at risk.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in your pet, please see your veterinarian and remember, this is a warning sign that you and your family are at risk. Pets and small children are always the first to be affected.

The only antidote to the poison is oxygen therapy, which allows the body to get rid of the gas. First aid, followed by immediate medical care, may save your pet’s life.

Remove your pet from the source of the carbon monoxide, get him into the fresh outside air. When only a small amount of blood has been contaminated (less than 10 percent), pets recover simply by breathing clean air. Most of the time, affected dogs and cats may act sleepy and drowsy, but they remain conscious and return to normal within a day.

A blood gas level of 25 percent carbon monoxide is potentially deadly. Pets often lose consciousness or stop breathing. Pets that stop breathing need oxygenated air immediately.

If your pet displays any of these symptoms, or you suspect carbon monoxide toxicity, please consult your veterinary doctor immediately.

To prevent exposure to this deadly gas in humans and in pets, please ensure that you put the generators outside and away from a window. Never use generators indoors, or in any area where ventilation is limited and people or animals are present.

Your generator should be far away from your windows or doors.

In conclusion, I implore every relevant agency to please enlighten the general public on the danger of using generators, and how they can be safely used. They should also be orientated on the likely causes, signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide toxicity.

Have a splendid weekend.

Source

• Like 1

We all know how bad it can be.. even the noise gets to me but that doesnt mean i dont use one..but it's always good to be enlightened so as to take more healthy precautions

Toh as my neighbour likes putting his "I pass my neighbour" generator at my window nko? They said I should pour salt in the gen but what if rapture happen as I dey pour the salt? :s