Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The Journey

Abystacy

Life is what you make of it, we tends to design our lives, in parts, by the stories we tell. One of the things in life i have control over is how I tell my story , how I interpret my experiences and make sense of them.

It's two more days before the year 2014 ends, before moving forward, have you taking time to reflect on who you are now? How your experiences in the last 365 days has shaped you? have you taking out time to look at yourself, your achievements, your hopes, your pains, your regrets, with much objectivity as you can, just like a biographer would?

The way you see your self is very Important, be confident in yourself. You may have experienced more happiness, sadness, success more than others but all these things compounds into thirteen letter words called *Journey of life*

Towards the beginning of this mouth, Something happened, and my life was shattered, i felt like I have exhausted all my energy , strength, I couldn't find the zeal to move on.. To say I was depressed would be an understatement! One thing kept me moving "MIRROR" I woke up with some bags under my eyes, I stood stark naked in front of my mirror. looking at the mirror that morning was my turning point, I wondered on bunch of things pains, disappointments, regrets, happiness; I couldn't help but be thankful of being alive. yes what a precious privilege it is to be alive, to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to stand in front of the mirror; What a grace. We have seen this year registered a number of deaths, what of millions of people struggling to feed themselves, some hospitalised due to health issues, many need more than I do, at that very moment my problems became insignificant. I had to reflect on what really is important? and what should be priority in my life! I had to let go of all the anger,frustrations, hurts, pains. It may appear foolish to let go of the those anger and hurt but holding on to it is foolishness. I had to let go of all the negative emotions which springs up when I lose sight of what is really important. what really matters. whatever that had been going on in my life, I have survived good and bad regardless. All these gave me new insight on how to look at things differently and a better understanding to things around me.

It's high time we turned all the negative thoughts in our mind. It's totally true that the experiences in our life affects our thinking but they do not define who we are, or who we choose to be, our past doesn't define us neither does it define our future unless we choose to allow it. We are not in bondage of our past, however, but we are responsible for what we do today!.

As you reflect on what is left of the year, start to visualise yourself positively with no judgement in other to develop your true potential. You are solely responsible for your emotional health and well being. that means that what you say to yourself over and over and over again has a definite dramatic effect, whatever your mind conceives, your body respond to it. It's like listening to an old school songs and even after many years, you could still song along to the lyrics as if it were yesterday anytime the songs comes up. Why? simply because we are conditioned by them

it's never to late as 'Rita Schulte said "It's never too late to start over, if you weren't happy with yesterday, try something different today, don't stay stuck:,do better".

Remember the only key of moving forward is by learning to forgive those that have hurt you, and ask forgiveness for those you have offended. for each act of forgiveness whether small or great is a vital tool for happiness.

Do not align yourself to the limiting mentalities of this world by allowing your present external state to define and hunt you.. We are all uniquely different. do not settle at any level, keep pushing forward. let all that you have learned, achieved, accomplished, accepted, rejected, denied, challenges, roadblocks, success, breakthrough and that which your ere so most grateful for be your guide to a new year.

It's now left for you to decide if all that you have learnt this year would be useful in the coming year. If you have a story to tell in the end it has to be something beautiful.

Compliment of the season beautifully people and may the new year bring more success to us. Always remember that there's a gift no one can be able to take away from you. The gift of patience and hope.

• Upvote 1

I didn't stand "stark naked in front of my mirror"....maybe because I didn't cry as much as you :)/>. :). I'm joking. It’s good you’ve been getting on with life, that’s a positive that you must continue.

The only way to move forward is to move forward in life. We all change a little each day, imperceptibly. And therefore, people change as we change.

Thank you for the post. :) Couple things I learned this year. 1) I am smarter than I thought 2) I am not as smart as I thought :D

Thank you for the post. :)/> Couple things I learned this year. 1) I am smarter than I thought 2) I am not as smart as I thought :D/>

Hehehehe, lol

Thank you so much for this, just what I needed to read.... Made some mistakes in 2014 n am just grateful it didn't destroy me, it just made me stronger and my skin thicker.. My priorities are crystal clear now, I know exactly what I want and where I need to be..