Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Loud Silence

Hipstar

I sit, i stare, i am quiet, ‘thump thump’ heart beats are all i hear. Silence, i call it.

I am thinking, “what have I not done right? Did I fail to cross my ‘T’s and dot my ‘I’s?” I am sprawled on the unsheathed mattress, I have since chided myself into sitting comfortably on the bedbug infested mattress, I bet it has seen better days, like I had a choice? Well of course the alternative would be on the black dirt coated rug less smelly floor. If I am between the devil and the deep blue sea, I sure would oblige the devil than watch myself drained of life with water engulfing me upto my ears, nose, and eyes. So the mattress, I have come to be comfortable in so much that I even allow myself lay carelessly there.

So I am thinking, what forces had conjoined to deprive me of happiness? What devil had possessed me into doing it? I feel a sharp sting on the back of my neck, and I think “oh! I am finally going to be paid in my coin. I am going to die in here. I had released the trigger straight to her neck, even if I didn’t mean to, I had done it, and I had watched her struggle for help, watched her look at me with those fear stricken eyes, like she knew she was about to begin her journey to the after life, I had watched her drop to her knees, and then I had seen him standing behind her. He had looked at me with mouth agape, petrified eyes peering at me like he was beholding a monster. Then he had said “Jesus! Kamsi you shot her” and I had said, “how did you get in here unnoticed” and he had fled before I said anything else. I hadn’t the guts to flee too, and because I felt she was still breathing, I had picked up the phone to call for help, then he had returned with the police”.

Yes. The sharp sting on my neck snapped me out of my reverie. If it was a gun shot, I should be dead now or very much unconscious, right? But I am still breathing so what could be this sharp edged thing causing me such discomfort? Out of its own will, my right hand starts to move up to my neck and i felt it. The cold sharp edged steel. ‘a knife?’ I want to turn, but I am stopped by the voice “move and I drive it in”

Yes still, I am right after all, I am going to be killed in here and nobody will care, after all, I am a murderer. The police around here will not as much as bat an eye if I die. The one who arrested me told me so. But how in hell do people get past the police at the counter with weapons as this? Why does this woman want to kill me? Does she know Joan? Has she been hired to end me here as a boomerang for my action? But isn’t this stupid? Am I not already reaping the fruit of my abominable venture? A murderer, if found guilty gets executed or imprisoned for life, isn’t that what the law says? So why the quick quest to end me?

Seeing me sitting there unresponsive makes me realize that silence has a sound. So I have to speak my first words since my arrest “why do you want to kill me? What wrong have I done you?”

She laughs “hahahahha… who says I want to kill you? I only want to torture you mademoiselle”

I have broken the silence, so my mouth won’t stop running “torture me? But I’m already getting the repercussion for my action. Please you should know that it was not my intention to kill Joan, I didn’t even remember releasing the trigger. I just dunno how it happened, the devil must have anesthetized my conscience and taken away my memory thereafter. Please I beg you, let the law run its course, let them find me guilty and pass me my sentence. Let them…….”

“shut up.. I didn’t ask you all of these. Besides, I don’t even know what you are talking about.”

Wtf? I have just told a stranger my sins “so why do you want to torture me?”

“It’s the way it is done to newbies. You get to be put in your place and learn to concur to every whims and caprices of the older members of this prison.”

“yea?”

“So your crime is murder huh?” she takes the knife off my neck and that’s when I turned to behold the bluest of eyes ever seen.

I stare, I am mute, my lips are suddenly dry so I lick them, she stares too, she is mute, I am still staring, her lips part slightly, I see the gap between the first two teeth. She is still staring, I smile and she say “why did you kill her?”

I take back my smile, “I didn’t kill her” I reply

“But you just said you did”

“I don’t remember pulling the trigger. I didn’t kill her”

“You are in jail, you are mentally retarded and you are going to die here. Who beats such?”

“She hit me, she said she would kill Phillip, the gun was lying on the bed, she was going to pick it up and go over to Phillip’s house. I couldn’t have that, so I dove for the gun before she did, and I pointed it at her, I did not even wrap my finger round the trigger, then I hear a shot, she falls to the ground and I see Phillip standing behind where she had stood. I think I saw him putting his right hand in his jacket pocket. But I didn’t think about it at the moment, his face exuded shock and he asked why I shot her, then he fled and returned with the police. I did not shoot Joan”.

She is frowning. I see sympathy in her eyes, I see disbelief. She is mute, she stares, I wonder if she believes me.

“Are you going to give her the orientation or not?” an older voice asks. I forgot there are others in the room. Two much younger ladies lay sleeping on a mattress like mine at the far end of the large enough room. At the other end is an older lady matting the hair of another within same age range. Plus me and my supposed torturer, that makes six of us in the room.

‘Thwack!’ a slap on my face ‘thwack! Thwack!’ another. She is finally torturing me, and for me to think I have found a friend in this lonely cell ‘thwack!’ and another slap. Am I supposed to retaliate? I don’t know, and even though I am expected to, I will not. I am already in for a crime I am not sure I committed; I would never raise my hand on another person, and not one with such beautiful eyes at that.

My cheeks hurt; I rub my palm on it and close my eyes, waiting for the next hit. “That’s enough orientation already” my torturer bellows.

“Are you kidding me right now? Do you need me to show you the bruises I got from my orientation?” the lady matting the hair reproves

“I will hit her no more. You don’t like it? Bite me”

She stands, that’s when I saw her for real. She is tall in what I assumed to be 5ft 9”, light skinned, skinny you might say, but curvy I’d say.

Joan was beautiful, but my torturer is a cynosure. I must be really sick in the head like she had said, I am in jail where I’d probably pine away until my dying day, but here I am, having tingles in my tits.

She walks to the woman matting the hair, “so whats it gonna be? Huh? Are you gonna take on me? Or should we say it is enough for an orientation?”

She must be the jail leader, lord, president, whatever they call it, because the woman coos “it is enough for an orientation”

“Now that’s what I thought”

She walks back to me and sits on the bed beside me. Did I mention she is my bed mate?

“Thank you” I coo

“You are a dyke”

Was that a question? I dunno, but I think she expects an answer so I say “I’m not straight”

She scoffs and I smile.

NEED MORE? SEND ME RECHARGE CARD…… #flipshairretrievesastickofcigarettelightsitandstartstosmoke#

Lmao.. sleeky u want recharge card for reading? U should change profession and join Nigerian Police..

Thnx Dequeen.. and Aby, you must be feeling ticklish, bcoz I no knw y u dey laf

• 2 years later...