Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

STD Risks for Lesbians

FlyJ

• Administrators

Although we have seen that lesbian and bisexual women are at low risk of getting HIV from sex with another woman, many other STDs - such as herpes - are just as common for lesbians as for women who have sex with men.

• Genital warts are painless bumps on the vulva, in the vagina, on the cervix or round the anus. They can be passed through contact with the wart, for example by touching, rubbing or sharing sex toys. It is unlikely non-genital warts, such as on hands, can be transferred to the genitals.
  • Trichomonas vaginalis (TV) gives a frothy, itchy vaginal discharge and is passed on by contact with the vagina only, for example by touching or sharing sex toys.
  • Herpes can cause painful sores on the inside of the vulva/vagina or anus (these are genital herpes) or on the mouth (cold sores). Herpes can be passed on through contact with a sore, for example by touching, fondling or sharing sex toys. Oral sex when a cold sore is present can also transmit the virus. It can be possible to have the herpes virus, be infectious and yet never have had any symptoms. An American study found that the majority of women who have sex with women, who are infected with herpes, are unaware of their infection.
  • Chlamydia and gonorrhea are rare in lesbians but if they are present may be passed on through sharing sex toys or rubbing vulvas together. Often there are no symptoms, though there may be a discharge. The first sign of both infections may be pain in the pelvic region (pelvic inflammatory disease or PID). There is a risk of infertility for women who have had untreated chlamydia.

• Syphilis is very infectious and close skin contact during sex can pass it on. Syphilis causes painless ulcers (or chancres) to appear where the bacteria entered the body. A chancre on the vagina can be almost unnoticeable.
  • Hepatitis refers to viral infections that cause inflammation of the liver. Certain forms of hepatitis can easily be passed on in sex - for example by touching or sharing sex toys. There are often no symptoms, though it can cause jaundice (yellow skin) or nausea.

Treatment is available for all the STDs mentioned above, often with antibiotics, and most can be cleared up quite rapidly. It is vital you seek help as soon as you notice any symptoms and that you do not have sexual contact that could pass on any infection until it has been dealt with.

Source

• Like 1

We can add this to the knowledge we have about getting tested. I think getting tested is the major one here. Dating one person at a time, most times, will do little or nothing in keeping our health intact. This is because we often do not know our partners' sexual history and their attitude towards sex.

No one is sexually superior health wise, thus, anyone can contract a disease. I would suggest partners screen for as many STIs as they can especially HIV before having sexual relations. This will protect you when other methods fail.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

That is why I always have an open and honest with whoever I'm with concerning sex and sexual history. Get tested and have her get tested, together if possible. Wash your toys properly. Monogamy, because dental dams suck! Stop dating sluts, if she's f***king everywhere, she'll probably give you something especially the girls that "I don't eat a girl until I get to know her better, I just finger her", that's dumb shit.

Getting tested together is the best. I'm always wary of catching a disease. It's what comes to mind first when dating someone new, why I always try to have fewer relationships and why I never do friends with benefits. Dating women (specifically), my protection against STDs has been faithfulness only. However, this isn't the safest way. Its only recently I learnt about Dams and Gloves bla bla like that. But I know I'll never use them even.