Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Can you date someone who is HIV positive.

dreamgal

lets say you are already in love with her, yet to have sex tho. she wakes you up one night to reveal she is HIV positive, and didn't tell you earlier cause she was scared you will leave her. will you go on with the relationship or break up?

Thank God we never have sex but she wild have told me from the beginning before I fall in will not leave her but will pray for miracle of healing

hmmm, una get mind.

I am going to be a good friend to her, but the relationship part can't work anymore.

no preventive measure is 100%, can't risk it

Lol good friend. Anyway, well...nobody said they would date an HIV infected person. I’m talking from a "Married Couple-'ONLY' one of them is Positive-Child is Negative " perspective. I know there are recorded stats.

(This is why screening before any kind of 'deep' investment is the safest option).

Lol good friend. Anyway, well...nobody said they would date an HIV infected person. I’m talking from a "Married Couple-'ONLY' one of them is Positive-Child is Negative " perspective. I know there are recorded stats.

(This is why screening before any kind of 'deep' investment is the safest option).

the last part (tho not too popular in nigeria) is very true and necessary.

if someone is honest to me about their status and if I am into them then I would date that person.. And be grateful to them because These days most people don't reveal their status anyways, some do not even know..

if someone is honest to me about their status and if I am into them then I would date that person.. And be grateful to them because These days most people don't reveal their status anyways, some do not even know..

hmmm nice point.

I didn't see it that way initially.

HELL NO! I won't bear the consequences of any bodies actions with them. I can be your friend though but I have the inclination for stigmatization.

Truth be told,doubt I'd be able to bring myself to go on with the relationship and what's the point of holding on to something if you both ain't happy cos blieve you me id just be pretending to be happy...although being Hiv positive ain't the end of the world and I'd tell her i appreciate the fact that she trusted me enough with such secrete but then naaaaaaaa i won't be able to bring myself to do anything sexual with her

Well that's a hard one.... Honestly I don't know what I'll do, I doubt if I'll want to continue with the relationship and Even if I continue with it, there would be nothing sexual between us, there are so many risks involved. However, I won't leave her as am already in love with her its not like I can jump out of fall with her so I'll still care for her, love her n be there for her as a super close friend n all... Though to be sincere, I would feel hurt finding out about her status after investing so much in our relationship/falling in love with her NO not because she is HIV positive but because she had to wait that long to tell me, I know its not something that's that easy to share but I hate secrets, if its important to you, pls tell me before we start a relationship, that's why its a good idea to be friends first and yeah I'll forgive her and understand how hard it must have been for her but I feel its kinda wrong to hide something that important from someone you are in love with.. Being Hiv positive isn't the end of the world, she deserves to be with someone who knows her status and loves her nevertheless...

"And be grateful to them because These days most people don't reveal their status anyways, some do not even know..". Wise. There's absolutely no ambiguity about d fact that she told you for the sole reason that she cares to.

Not every positive person is/was promiscuous. If you want to challenge that fact, go for a test today.

If you want to make a difference, if you'd rather not be in this situation at all, then screening before dating at all is important.

I will say though that d best bet for an HIV infected person is to deal with her issue first (by praying to God) and look forward to a time God will heal her as d best time for meeting women.

This is very true, most people don't even know their status @all, lol....

This is very true, most people don't even know their status @all, lol....

I pray o

Na to ferege sure pass

Nt putting my self at risk biko

Friendship tins

Ya'll aint being truthful to ur selves

Wen ebola dey country hmmm most of ya'll stopped hugging

Heheh

I pray o

Na to ferege sure pass

Friendship tins

Wen ebola dey country hmmm most of ya'll stopped hugging

Heheh

Lol....

I honestly don't know what my reactions would be. No one ever knows until you are faced with such challenges. Those saying they will quit the relationship because you don't want to get infected,have you thought of the fact that you are prolly infected already. Assuming you in a relationship with that person and she didn't disclose from the onset that she's infected, then you are sexually involved with her, isn't there a chance that you are infected already. I think people would know what to do when in such predicaments but I'm sure I'll be a great friend. I don't know how. Much of a lover I'll be

• 4 weeks later...

I pray o

Na to ferege sure pass

Friendship tins

Wen ebola dey country hmmm most of ya'll stopped hugging...

I toyally agree!!! Esp. The hugging

Heheh

Stigmatization is dangerous and leads people to conceal which is why I am against it. But whats equally dangerous is people being too selfish to disclose their situation early on. Granted you dont want to disclose to early, like upon meeting someone, but if you see someone is showing genuine interest in you then you need to disclose. Manipulating others feelings to make them fall for you knowing full well it wont go anywhere is playing games.

Personally, if I were infected I wouldn't seek out non-infected people as mates, simply bc we don't yet have the capability to assure safety. So many lives can be affected and I am not that selfish. P.S. if you are a gold star lesbian this shouldn't even be an issue, hence my dating only lesbians who date only other lesbian. Sure can they lie yes, but that's what clinical tests are for. Get a full spectrum std profile lol

• 4 years later...

It would depend on whether I feel she is truly made for me. If so, there's not much that would make me consider walking away from her.