Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

First date, first chance

FlyJ

• Administrators

The secret to getting a second date is making sure the first date goes well. To get date number two, here are some tips

Don’t be too serious

Though there is the need to talk about serious topics but on the first date, it’s important to keep the conversation pleasant and positive. Ask about hobbies and passions but leave out religion, politics, or money. Keep a sense of humour.

Don’t drink too much

Never feel you become funnier, more charming, and better looking when you have had a little bit to drink. Let your date know the real you and don’t hide behind a cocktail glass instead.

Avoid sleepovers

If the chemistry is right and sparks are flying, you may be tempted to make that first date a sleepover. If you are really interested in your date, control your libido and date smart. Get to know her better before hopping into bed with her.

Be honest

Do not misrepresent yourself by telling lies to appear more fascinating. This doesn’t mean you need to tell them everything about you but maintain some mystery. If you are interested in a second date, you need not reveal everything during the first one.

Ask questions

It’s important to keep things pleasant, but never avoid meaningful conversation. Go ahead and ask some compelling but positive questions such as, ‘what things make you happiest? What do you love about your work? What are the most important things in your life?’

Listen

When getting to know your date, don’t be prepping the next thing to say while she is talking. Ask her question to get her to expand on what she just told you. This makes them know two things: that you were paying attention and that you are interested. Try to keep the listening to talking ratio more or less 50/50.

Display positive body language

If you want a second date, work those angles and show some encouraging body language. Lean towards your date when discussing, make eye contact and smile occasionally. If you really like her you will probably do these things without thinking anyway.

No unrealistic expectations

Sometimes, we can get ahead of ourselves and envision the next 50 years of our lives with the date in question, especially if there’s a lingering infatuation. With high hopes come big disappointments; why not aim to only have an enjoyable night out instead?

Offer to pay

Do bring cash; there is nothing wrong with offering to share the bill or pick up popcorn while your date buys movie tickets. Even if you don’t end up paying, the offer makes the date lighter and you both feel equally in charge.

Light conversation

Avoid topics on past relationships and keep the conversation light. Ask follow-up questions. If you are a great communicator, use chats about travel, cinema, sport and school to try and detect the possibility of a criminal record, addiction or a string of illegitimate children.

Dress to impress

When you are wearing your favourite outfit with your favourite shoes, you feel bold and confident and know you are quite a catch. When you feel fabulous, you radiate.

Source

• Like 1

First date....first chance..

Great creative piece.

What kills it for me is my date constant small talks about her exes or looking gloomy!!!!!

...smile as often as you can and pay attention to me n not always looking for something that s not there..

Please please please!! Don't show up on your first date 30 mins or more late...

First date....first chance..

Great creative piece.

What kills it for me is my date constant small talks about her exes or looking gloomy!!!!!

...smile as often as you can and pay attention to me n not always looking for something that s not there..

Please please please!! Don't show up on your first date 30 mins or more late...

hahahahaha!!!! noted...

Wonderful article. However I think making a good first impression is not always the problem but maintaining that good impression.

you took the words right out of my mouth....maintainance is what works for me...after 2/***, weeks I notice stuff...I bail!..lol. :)