Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Buhari wins presidential election, floors Jonathan

FlyJ

• Administrators

2065039_2_jpegea571676ce9b75b0730a5d56350ae93e-360x240.jpg

The Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari(retd.), has won the March 28 presidential election.

Buhari, contesting the office for the fourth time, polled 15,424,921 votes against incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan, of the Peoples democratic Party to clinch the presidential seat.

Jonathan scored 12,853,162 votes.

The President-elect, a Head of State between 1984 and August 1985, won the contest in 21 states of the federation, leaving Jonathan with victories in 15 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

Buhari won the election in 16 northern states and five south western states while Jonathan won the poll in three northern states, the FCT and 12 South-South and South-East states.

The highest number of votes was recorded in Kano, where Buhari scored 1,903,999 votes while Jonathan recorded his biggest victory in a controversial election in Rivers, garnering 1,487,075 votes in the state, where a large scale protest had attempted to stop the huge vote.

Source

• Like 1

I'm not as happy as I was before the results were announced. The real joy was seeing 'the majority' participate actively in the vote count, all in anticipation that Buhari would win. Posts were shared, tweets were retweeted, PMs were voraciously updated and comments were liked. I calmly observed, wondering where these people where when we asked them not to vote Jonathan in 2011.

People take politics personal. Politics is not personal. Is Jonathan your father, why do you want to die there?

Buhari has 4 years to defend his new office. 4 years is colossal. If in 2 years we don't begin to experience positive transformation, the campaign against him would start! It is believed that Nigerians have learnt a lesson from the elections and Jonathan's ascension to power. That good luck isn't peculiar to one person. If you are born of God, you are bound to have good luck. This is the common sense revolution. It began a few years back and manifested in 2015. Hopefully, we as a people can sustain this ability to vote wisely every 4 years.

I agree with you but I think right now, we are still failing to realise that one man(the president) does not make up the whole government. He might be a good man with good intentions but if he is not surrounded by like minded people, all of his good intentions will come to naught (I personally think this was what went wrong with GEJ's regime). Infact, just this afternoon, i over heard a man say that the Lord (LOL) told him that we should all pray (LOLx2) that Tinubu dies soon or else GMB's tenure will be rife with issues and im just there like : |. And btw, while we were sooooo focused on the presidential elections, our favourite criminals snuck back into the senate and house of reps.

• Administrators

Personally, I do not care for either one of them because i know we can do better.Now Buhari has won, reality sinks in and I think my biggest fear is him not performing. Even though majority didn't come out to vote , most did with the hope that Buhari is the much needed change we need.While this may be true I will like for us to tread with caution knowing that one of Buhari’s main men is Tinubu who is known to be a notorious thief.Having said that, my perception of Buhari will start to build when his cabinet his formed and moreso how he deals with Tinubu. Like Llyn said, he may be a good man but it is who he surrounds himself with that counts. I also think GEJ needs to be commended for being a true democrat! God bless the FGN.

• Like 1

Wonderfully said.

Personally, I do not care for either one of them because i know we can do better.Now Buhari has won, reality sinks in and I think my biggest fear is him not performing. Even though majority didn't come out to vote , most did with the hope that Buhari is the much needed change we need.Now, while this may be true I will like for us to tread with caution knowing that one of Buhari’s main men is Tinubu who is known to be a notorious thief.Having said that, my perception of Buhari will start to build when his cabinet his formed and moreso how he deals with Tinubu. Like Llyn said, he may be a good man but it is who he surrounds himself with that counts. I also think GEJ needs to be commended for being a true democrat! God bless the FGN.

I'm not as happy as I was before the results were announced. The real joy was seeing 'the majority' participate actively in the vote count, all in anticipation that Buhari would win. Posts were shared, tweets were retweeted, PMs were voraciously updated and comments were liked. I calmly observed, wondering where these people where when we asked them not to vote Jonathan in 2011.

People take politics personal. Politics is not personal. Is Jonathan your father, why do you want to die there?

Buhari has 4 years to defend his new office. 4 years is colossal. If in 2 years we don't begin to experience positive transformation, the campaign against him would start! It is believed that Nigerians have learnt a lesson from the elections and Jonathan's ascension to power. That good luck isn't peculiar to one person. If you are born of God, you are bound to have good luck. This is the common sense revolution. It began a few years back and manifested in 2015. Hopefully, we as a people can sustain this ability to vote wisely every 4 years.

Wish there was a like Button here, this piece gave me goosebumps.

Wish there was a like Button here, this piece gave me goosebumps.

There is a like button. the green with a plus "+" sign on it. that's the like button.

Now we have a new president whose agenda is change and fighting corruption and yet since this result was announced all I see especially on social media is attacks and counter attacks, sacarsm, verbally bullying, insults and all manner of battle with words between different groups. I expected the atmosphere calm, a moment of reflection from every nigeria regardless of who you support on how we can help achieve this change and fight the corruption. The corruption is you and I, even in the little position we hold. the change can only start from us. If an incumbent president with all the power at his disposal refuses to rig the election and accepted defeat from his opponent? That is a definition of a man who wants change, who has decided that the fight of corruption should start from him. He meant it when he said his ambition is not worth the blood of any nigeria. While in the office he was constantly abused, now he is officially out, yet some people will not still rest. Why not channel the energy you are using to speak English on social media abusing a true hero a Democrat and each other to the pursuit of this change we have been screaming about.

I think the major thing I note about the 2015 polls is that president Jonathan allowed the polls to be free and fair. Fair being whatever INEC ruled. Nowhere else have I seen, especially in Africa, not even in the US- a nation where billionaires directly sponsor polls, has a sitting president refused to directly or indirectly manipulate polls. He had every machinery to do that but didn't. It is admirable and to many incomprehensible. What he has done is a true sacrifice for democracy and credibility. A model. I hope in four years like Buhari has asked for, even if it ends up being eight years, it will remain sacrosanct that free and fair election/ peaceful transitioning will be seen from the president elect and his party. It is a high stake.