Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Gay activist Bisi reveals how he lost his family because of his sexual preference

FlyJ

• Administrators

Bisi shares his story of how his family members deserted him because of his sexual orientation. This is the price one pays for being gay in Nigeria.

2.png

*** years ago I lost my family completely after this Facebook post (above) from my elder sister. She posted this knowing well that I am gay and she did it to spite me. That day I replied her after which she blocked me on Facebook and that led to a big family fight which led to me blocking them from my life. Today I am happy for friends who are my family, the people I can speak to any time of the day, cry to without judging me and even bare my pains too."

03.png

03..png

• Like 1

Taking it personal by either parties are wrong. Gay people shouldn't reciprocate the wrong attitude they receive from straight people. Somebody has to be sane here. You are being judged because of your sexuality, - yes you have to continue your call in life - but you don't want to be estranged from your family because of your sexuality??, so you' ll just play things down, (personally now) separating my human/gay rights activities from my family relationships- both are very important to me. I mustn't respond to everything and I ll continually make you see reasons or we both just ignore who I sleep/ wake up beside. These things are simple; there are simple words you could tell a person to make them think deep- even from the bible; "judge not that you be not judged", it speaks volumes. For the other person; "as much as it lieth within you, live peaceable with all men", "if your eyes will make you sin, pluck it off". When you look at these things you find out that they could keep doing their thing, while you do yours- and we all remain family. I could harass a neutral person for even taking an interest in my sexual orientation, not to speak of judging me; that is in a country where I am allowed to be openly gay but I will tolerate any family member, I need them. I am "out" in a deep root, christian family, parents and siblings wouldn't take it personal, because family MUST bond, also the principles in the bible wouldn't allow that except they aren't practising christians. Christianity is very practical. Then they'll keep praying for me while I keep praying for them.