Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Growing Pain.. Cont'd

moresko

• Moderators

I know this is very late, and I'm sorry.

Writing isn't easy for me, turning the stories in my head into words doesn't come easy for me either.

Sometimes the words come, and the dialogue flows in my head but most times its like watching a silent movie; no words just action.

This continuation is set 10-15 years into the future, there will be some flashbacks and explanations as needed.

Earlier chapters can be found here

Continued

So, are you going to see her? She asked as she knelt beside me to helped me fold my clothes.

"I don't know", I replied

Seyi looked at me with a funny expression on her face, that said she didn't believe me.

" I'm serious, I don't know; Yemisi said she might be at the reunion and she might not. I really don't know, I continued

"Okay o"

"What does that even mean? I didn't want to go that reunion, to spend time with a bunch of people that I don't really know anymore; I'm not even sure that I'm going, but you said I should give it a try"

"I know what I said but I'm allowed to be curious aren't I?

" The truth is I don't know. You could come with me you know, tell your job that you have a family emergency in Nigeria, and come with me, please?" I said while giving her my best imitation of the "puppy eyes" that I could muster.

"You know I can't, I have work and I'm avoiding your mum"

I laughed

"That's not funny, she looks at me as the woman that violates her daughter", she said jokingly

I laughed again "she never said that, in fact she never said anything", I replied

I walked up to her, and took her hands

"Look at me"

She looked at me while those beautiful brown eyes of hers.

"I'm happy, I'm content, I love you and we are going to spend the rest of our lives loving and frustrating the hell of each other".

She laughed

" Now, let's get some rest. I need pampering, I'm not getting any for next 2 weeks"

"And you better not get any"

I laughed.

The heat, o the smoldering heat. I was seated in the car with my mum after a 15 hours flights. I felt sticky, sweaty, and in need of a hot shower.

"How's your roommate?", my mum asked

Really, roommate? So we were going to play this game? A game we had been playing for the past 2 years since she caught Seyi in bed with me. She had come to visit, and had decided to stay with us thereby killing our sex life. One day we had a window of oppotunity, she came back early from a visiting a family friend, we forgot to lock the bedroom door, and the rest is history. It was surreal moment, straight or gay; no one wants to get caught having sex by their parents. I couldn't look her in the eyes for days afterwards, and we never talked about what she had seen, but that day Seyi became " roommate " instead of "friend", and my mum never asked about my " boyfriend " again.

"Seyi is fine, she sends her regards to you and everyone", I replied

"Why didn't she come with you?"

"Work, and we are planning a vacation to Bahamas later in the year; so she's saving her vacation time for that"

Another thing that changed that day, I started to refer Seyi and I as "we" to my mum, if she noticed she never said anythin or maybe she just refused to acknowledge it.

"Okay, that's nice. Hope you enjoy the Bahamas", she replied

I was really worried about coming home, for all I know there could be a prophet waiting for me when I get to the house, and since I hadn't received a call from my dad rejecting me as his daughter, I knew my mum hadn't told him about " we".

I loved my family, and I hated that I had to live two lives but it is what it is.

........................ .......................................................

"Grrrrr Grrrrr", " Grrrrr, Grrrr"

I listened to the phone ring as I waited for Seyi to pick up her phone

"Hello"

"Hi, how are you doing?"

"Not fine, I missed you so much. How was your flight?"

"Too long, but I was fine. I missed you too, waking up without you here sucks"

"I know"

"Hearing your voice touches my soul, and brings me joy"

She laughed, I love to hear her laugh.

"Where did get that line from?", She asked jokingly

"Me ke? What line? I'm offended" , I replied with laughter in my voice

"My voices touches your soul ke, you told me last week that my singing makes the deaf cry, remember?"

"Well, it does but I love you anyway"

"I love you too"

Well, I decided to go to the reunion. It was mostly because of curiosity, I wanted to know and see how everyone was doing, not only "her". Did the bitches remain bitches? Who lost the battle of the bulge? How were the school sluts doing? Like I said, curiosity.

" Oh my gosh, look at you"

I turned around to see a face and voice that I barely recognized, so I just stared at her.

"Its me, Tope Awe", she continued

"Oh, you look so different", I replied even though I barely recognized her

"I have to tell some people you're here", she replied

"Really, why?"

"Because you know after Kemi's engagement, there were rumors that you had a mental breakdown, being taken to " Yaba Left" some people said you became a SU, some said you travelled and so on. Since you didn't reply the RSVP, we thought you were not coming".

"Well, I just decided to come today, and I'm not mentally retarded, I replied trying to be cordial as possible; even though I wanted to punch her face. Tope Awe didn't have an " inside voice", and people were starting to stare at us, so I wanted to end this conversation as soon as possible.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in", I turned to the owner of that voice, and smiled.

Yemisi Baker was the only "kankonian" I had kept in touch with. I hugged her tightly and kissed her cheeks.

"How are you, and I thought you were not coming?"

"I'm fine and I changed my mind. How's your family?"

"We're all good, my husband is somewhere getting wasted since I dragged him with me, and I can't drink because he decided to knock me up again" she replied smiling

I laughed. I knew why she dragged her husband here, he was handsome, rich, took good care of her, and she wanted to flaunt in the face of every heifer that told her she wasn't good enough. It also helped that she aged gracefully, and that couldn't be said for a lot of others.

"She's here, you know?"

"Where?"

"Look at your ***'o clock"

I looked and wow. She was stunning and graceful as always. She sat there nursing her drink while watching us, I wanted to pour that drink over her head and kiss her ass. Yes, I know I have issues.

"I need air, the heat in this room is stifling"

"I understand, text me if you need me", she said as she walked away to find her husband

I knew she understood, because while everyone was spreading rumors about my mental stability afte Kemi's engagement, she was the only one that wrote to ask if I was okay. Even though, I wasn't in Nigeria then, it was good to have someone that listened to me.

I stood outside gathering my thoughts, and getting " my air", when I heard footsteps and knew it was her. Its funny how some things change, and others don't.

"I'm not surprised to find you here, you always did hate parties".

I laughed

"Parties were, and still are not my thing"

"So, how are you?"

"I'm doing good and you?"

"I'm doing well"

She wanted to say something, her nervousness was palatable but it wasn't my job anymore to make her feel comfortable. If she had something important to say, she would say it.

"How long are you here for?"

"Not long, just came to do stuff and leave", I replied

" Okay, maybe we could do lunch sometime while you're still here, you know talk and stuff"

"No, I don't think that's a good idea. Remember what happened that last time we did " lunch?" finally turning around to look at her

"You don't understand", she said

Something snapped inside me when she said that.

"What do you mean by that? I don't understand what?"

"You don't understand, it was so hard for me"

"Hard for you? Are you serious? You think it was a cakewalk for me? I was in the same boat as you. I lived in this country for 23 years, and loved you for 10 of those years. I dealt with stares, gossip, hatred, and comments too. I dealt with all that with you, and for what? Nothing?"

"But I tried...."

"Tried what? All I wanted was for you to pick me, chose me, want me, and love me for once in our lives. I stayed with you despite the other women even the ones you didn't think I knew about".

She stared at me.

"Yes I knew about them and I stayed because I stupidly thought that you loved me. You know I thought we would have been great together. You and me against our culture, but you gave up when all you had to do was come with me".

" I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I know I wasn't the best girlfriend in the world but I just got tired of hiding and..."

"7 f**king years, and that was the best apology you came up with?"

I laughed

"I gave you 10 years of my life, and all I got from you was a " I can't do this anymore"", I said suddenly feeling exhausted but also feeling like I had dropped a huge burden.

"Well, I'm also sorry. I have to go now, please stay away from me", I continued as I walked away.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

it can't end here nau.. pls cook up more. awesome read.

I can't really cook up anything. I've practically finished the story in my mind; but I need the words. I'm not a writer by any stretch of the imagination, the words come, then I put pen to paper. When it comes, its like watching a play, and writing what the actors are saying.