Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

You’re Gay… So What?

FlyJ

• Administrators

black-lesbian-women.jpg

Perhaps one of the most trending things right now is the ‘gay’ phenomenon. Just take three steps in the online world and you’re sure to come across some article, post or news on being gay and other related stories. Even series and movies are not left out, as scripts are being rewritten to include gay characters and contexts. People in influential positions are ‘coming out of the closet’ at rates that make you wonder if being gay is the 21st century equivalent of the cigarette smoking pandemic.

The question that really begs to be asked is ‘What’s all the hoopla about being gay?’ Why is it attracting unusual, and if I might add, unnecessary media attention?

For one, most people in the gay community have claims akin to those of about-to-be-extinct species – the cry of being persecuted in a society that just isn’t ready for their existence. And I agree, any species at the risk of extinction normally would cry out for help and protection from the predator. What beats me, however, is the turn that this plea for help has morphed into some sort of evangelism, and if you might add, a persecutory movement. Still confused? Let me help you.

The concept of homosexual relations itself isn’t by any means new. It’s been in existence since the beginning of time and for whatever reason, it hasn’t been accepted by those who make up the majority. You see, some products just don’t get accepted by the market no matter how hard the manufacturer tries. As a testimony to its non-acceptance, homosexuality was and is still labelled a punishable crime in many establishments – (Alan Turing’s story readily comes to mind). The fact is if you believe strongly in something the society forbids, there are consequences to face (early Christian missionaries can enlighten you more about this).

The problem, however, arises when societal punishment for a belief includes persecuting or taking the life of the believer as was and is the case in many crude societies. I suppose it was at this point that the 21st Century Gay Movement began – as a campaign for both recognition and the freedom to exercise their human right of choice.

Under the circumstances of persecution, it makes sense to cry for help as I earlier pointed out. However, when the campaign for emancipation transforms into a persecutory tool, then you wonder if the movement isn’t becoming some sort of fanaticism.

This brings me to the next point I’m about to make: we all have different beliefs – it is part of our freedom as human beings – and those beliefs ought to be respected by those with whom we coexist. So it follows that a belief in homosexuality ought to be respected as that person’s belief. Note, the keyword ‘Respect’. I didn’t say approve or endorse. If you neither drink (alcohol) nor smoke but have a couple of friends who drink and smoke. Does that mean you cannot relate with them? No. Does the fact that you relate with them mean that you approve of or endorse smoking? Again the answer is No. You see, the fact that I have accepted someone as who he is doesn’t mean I approve of everything he does. And it is at this point exactly that the Gay Movement is missing it – rather than focus on acceptance and coexistence in the society, the campaign takes it a step further and attempts to shove the whole concept down our throats.

Through various media influences (TV, Soap Operas, Series, PR slants), the gay concept is being touted as the in-thing – like some sort of fashion trend; and at some point you begin to wonder if the whole theory of genetic influences on homosexuality holds water as it seems that people now become gay on purpose in order to belong.

If you speak against being gay (which also is your right as much as it is to be gay), the gay community backed up by the media and influential persons (and countries) immediately descend on you like a pack of wolves – to the extent that those who oppose the gay concept are now afraid of airing their opinions for fear of persecution. It makes me wonder who is at the receiving end of restricting human freedom: the gay or the anti-gay. If in the quest to liberate yourself you put other people under restrictions, then I wonder if you’re truly fighting for freedom or you’re just being a fanatic.

The truth is nobody has to like you as a gay person if it is against their beliefs. Period. The fact that you’re gay doesn’t change the fact that you’re a human being and it doesn’t make you special in any way. You’re gay. That’s all. It’s just another fact in the universe and you don’t deserve an extra like for that. Nobody owes you an apology for not liking your belief or sexual orientation. They’re simply exercising their freedom of choice… and expression. The only thing they are not allowed to do is persecute, maim or kill you. In which case, that should be the focus of the gay movement.

What do you think ladies?

Source

The problem is goes beyond this. Some people think it's a whim, or some sort of fashion trending or a choice. It's not like you are bored with the opposite sex and decided to look the other way.. it's not an influence like some many people believed it is. Rhetorically Who wants to be bullied , punished, rejected, imprisoned over some whimsical act? I think that people need to realize that we are human at the end of it all and we love who we love. The question tho is, does it affect your growth what people say about you being gay, or not? Does their likeness or not change your perceptions or utter your sense of reasoning in anyway. Does it make one less special? It just bunch of people with different opinions. It not something you can just shut down because people think you should. your sexual orientation shouldn't restricted, it's who you are. Every other person who think otherwise is playing God. And that is wrong. we leave the judgment to God alone.. If you are gay, you are gay.. no explanation needed.. I believe the gay community should focus on that, no body has the right to take the life of others not the government and the so called fanatics just because they are gay. .

Again, u have said all that is to say, one thing I know is that nobody needs to apologise for being who they are and whether u are a lesbian,bi or transgender, its your choice, live your life

P.S. Its even funny how some girls just think people are lesbians cos they had a bad homophobic relationships or because they haven't met the right d**k

Writer sounds a little right winged.

Gay people are still focussing their attention and agenda on fighting for equality and freedom. This is very important and can't be derailed. This mission may be achieved through various means; tv, showbiz,etc, to bridge the huge divide.

In discrimination, and being judgemental, homophobes are way more active than the heterophobes. I ve never heard gay persons trying to change straight people or speaking against heterosexuals but the reverse is their case. It is one thing to be gay and proud, while its another to force your gayness down other peoples throat?? Who has time for that?

The clamour by gay people seems to be on the rise because of all the harsh policies and laws mete on them recently, every where around the globe. An instance is the most recent agitation for repeal on gay marriage and the pressure on SCOTUS on these same issues. With opponents of gay marriage redoubling their resistance, gay rights groups are recognising that they have more battles to fight on this front, who wouldn't fight harder? You also need to check out some religious bigots and the venom they speak (in the US, pastor Scott Lively; encourages every believer to hold a personal Vigil for Marriage at the Supreme Court or their closest federal courthouse.  "Just go there to stand on the public sidewalk to pray and hold a sign as often as you can until the final ruling comes down.  I may see you there", Rev. John Lindell; urged 9000 congregants to repeal Springfield's sexual orientation and gender identity law on April 7,2015). If you read these people up, you ll marvel at the derogatory name calling unto gay people.

This is probably unconstitutional as it is

unconstitutional for states in the USA to limit marriage to a man and a woman. In Nigeria, the story is no different, you are treated as a criminal. Gay people has every reason to continue fighting.