Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Ireland Votes to Approve Gay Marriage

FlyJ

• Administrators

20150524_IRELAND-slide-U9EL-jumbo-v2.jpg

Ireland became the first nation to approve same-sex marriage by a popular vote, sweeping aside the opposition of the Roman Catholic Church in a resounding victory Saturday for the gay rights movement and placing the country at the vanguard of social change.

With the final ballots counted, the vote was 62 percent in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage, and 38 percent opposed.

The turnout was large — more than 60 percent of the ***.2 million eligible voters cast ballots, and only one district out of 43 voted the measure down. Cheers broke out among the crowd of supporters who had gathered in the courtyard of Dublin Castle when Returning Officer Riona Ni Fhlanghaile announced around 7 p.m. that the ballot had passed, 1,201,607 votes to 734,300.

Not long ago, the vote would have been unthinkable. Ireland decriminalized homosexuality only in 1993, the church dominates the education system, and abortion remains illegal except when a mother’s life is at risk. But the influence of the church has waned amid scandals in recent years, while attitudes, particularly among the young, have shifted.

JP-IRELAND1-articleLarge.jpg

“Today Ireland made history,” Prime Minister Enda Kenny said at a news conference, adding that “in the privacy of the ballot box, the people made a public statement.”

“This decision makes every citizen equal and I believe it will strengthen the institution of marriage,” Mr. Kenny said.

Source

• Like 1

The LGBT (Nigeria) community is invisible, mute, that's when.

[/quote

Well isn't it better to be mute than dead? The gay community fighting for their rights abroad do so because to an extent they know they will get support and are safe to a large extent... fiight for your right here? Now? Like really now? Lol, Nigeria is so not ready for that,. Nigerians are hypocritical in nature, you will be surprised at the reaction okay maybe not really surprised but really nothing can be done now except anyone is ready to lose his/her life and that might not even change anything. The gay community sef will deny you and support the homophobes because they don't want to be violated or suspected . Till Nigeria is ready, you can always travel out with your woman to get married. Better safe than sorry

Is there an LGBT 'community' in Nigeria? Or people who are gay, lesbians-mostly biphobic, bisexuals....? Is that a typical community?

Is there an LGBT 'community' in Nigeria? Or people who are gay, lesbians-mostly biphobic, bisexuals....? Is that a typical community?

Talking about biphobic lesbians. Am not really sure I can blame them. People just use the word bisexual anyhow, most bicurious, I don't even know where I stand ladies, straight ladies who just wants to have fun will just claim to be bisexuals . Most biphobic lesbians has probably had their hearts broken by this set of bisexuals severally hence their decision not to ever date a bisexual lady. Dating only lesbians doesn't mean one won't get hurt but somehow they feel safer with only lesbians. I am not a biphobic lesbian, but I have some of them as friends and I know what they went through . All I know is we can't have a strong LGBT society if this goes on, we can't fight against homophobic people if we have biphobic people or even gay-phobic people amongst us . Yeah some lesbians actually hates gay men, loool really

I didn't say they should be blamed, I pointed out one of the challenges of having a community in Nigeria.

By dating lesbians only, lesbians would have filtered out, to a certain degree, the women who would have had their hearts broken.

Was just trying to explain what I feel might be the resaon for the existence of biphobic lesbians and I also agreed about it being a problem . I know you didn't say they should be blamed

I'm gonna chip in here even tho we are diverting from the conversation, Lesbians hating lesbians? That am yet to see or hear. Although hate is such a strong word to use. Gays and Lesbians sometimes have difficulty existing because people unjustly lump the two together. Gays and lesbians don’t want the same thing. Gays want men, lesbians want women. Maybe that’s why gay men and straight women get along so well. Gays and straight women can spend their time gossipping about the hot guy at the office or at the club, which is something they can’t do with lesbians and vice versa. And thus that's where I can say the dislike comes in, although it's just a few. In general I believe it's bisexuals that actually dislike Gay men. If truth be told half of the bisexuals in here really really dislike gay guys. They can't even stand them for whatever reason I can't explain. Lesbians don't hate lesbians, do they dislike bisexuals? Yes some of them do, some can't date bisexuals. Either way, it's just an individual thing.

I think we need to remember that sexuality is fluid and anyone (bicurious or bisexual) has a right to their sexuality-just like the rest of us.

Now as for anyone disliking or hating another person cos if how they identify (straight, gay, bisexual, queer, asexual, intersex undecided, lesbian, pansexual) we need to stomp that out cos it is not okay. I get if you don't want to spend all your time hanging out with a certain group but hate or dislike is unnecessary. Spread love. A whole lot of love....!!!

Am not even sure about the meaning of bi-phobic lesbians . What does it actually mean? Does it mean lesbians hating bisexual women or lesbians totally refusing to date bisexual women?

If it means the former then I agree it's totally wrong but is the latter really bi-phobic. I do not think it's homophobic when my straight friends says they will never date a girl/lesbian because it's their choice and they can date whoever they want to date, I'll only get offended if they criticize or demean lesbians and their way of life . Is it really bi-phobic if a lesbian decides to never ever date bisexual women for whatever reasons? We all have our preferences and I don't see anything wrong with a lesbian refusing to date bisexual women . We all can't want the same thing, if a particular lesbian doesn't want to date a bisexual woman there are several other lesbians who would date her . My question is should it be wrong? Am a lesbian and I have dated several bisexuals and if I see a really cool bisexual who is on the same page with me and who can be monogamous then yeah am okay with it but I know lesbians who will not date bisexuals and I don't think they are bi-phobic