Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Forget about being 'Likable'

FlyJ

• Administrators

1a.jpg

Women are taught from a young age to be inoffensive, Adichie explains, which can ultimately stunt our growth as human beings, preventing us from leading fully self-actualized lives.She said:

I think that what our society teaches young girls, and I think it’s also something that’s quite difficult for even older women and self-professed feminists to shrug off, is that idea that likability is an essential part of you, of the space you occupy in the world, that you’re supposed to twist yourself into shapes to make yourself likable, that you’re supposed to hold back sometimes, pull back, don’t quite say, don’t be too pushy, because you have to be likable.

And I say that’s bullshit.

So what I want to say to young girls is forget about likability. If you start thinking about being likable you are not going to tell your story honestly, because you are going to be so concerned with not offending, and that’s going to ruin your story.

I feel like crying right now, everything from this womans mouth is gold and true

*logs out to cry*

Looooooool, sorry

A well written piece, and i agreed 100% with what she said, there's always a *but* which I believe is called *living in reality*. In as much as we want to be of liberal mind and all feminist We should also learn to always be respectful, tactful, talk with caution. There will always be people or someone we look up to, or we want to impress for whatever purpose either to move forward in life or otherwise.

I know how exhausting it is sometimes to remain true to yourself in an environment where everyone expects you to be something else. But truth be told, You can’t control how other people are going to respond to you personally. And you really can’t make people like you, it either comes off as manipulative or desperate; you either like people or not, they like you or not. Either way their lives doesn't begin and ends with yours or does yours begin and ends with their's.

In the end my advice is don't compromise your beliefs just to fit in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2