Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Confusion as Saraki emerges Senate President

FlyJ

• Administrators

The-Chairman-of-Senate-Committee-on-Environment-and-Ecology-Dr.-Bukola-Saraki-360x225.jpg

Senator Bukola Saraki (APC-Kwara Central) has been elected unopposed as President of 8th Senate by 57 of 108 senators, with 51 senators, including Senator Ahmed Lawan, absent.

The other senators were at the International Conference Centre, holdinga meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, to resolve the National Assembly leadership crisis, at the time Saraki was declared President.

Saraki and Lawan have been engaged in a fierce contest to clinch the Senate top job.

APC leadership held a mock election on Saturday to determine which of the aspirants would represent the party to fill the Senate President’s seat.

The former Kwara State governor boycotted the ‘primary’ while he also shunned a meeting convened by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and the one convened by Buhari on Tuesday(today).

Senator Ike Ikweremadu (Enugu West) emerged as the Deputy President by beating Senator Ali Ndume(Borno) 54-20 votes.

Source

• Like 1

@

Abstacy, for all intent and purposes. I ll would like to know wat drama u expect to unfold. I have read several of your post and u sound like an APC partisan but since this National Assembly issue arose u seem to have switched to the opposing party P.D.P. We all know that no member can work outside it's party manifesto. If saraki can't accept lawan as the party choice for senate president. Then saraki is carrying out anti party act and can be suspended. This is a new government and it is too early for anybody to be trying to split up the house for his personal gain. live and let's live

So very funny. I'm actually trying not to laugh. My opinion belongs to nobody but myself. When I talk politics I talk politics because that's politics. So continue reading several of my post. I'm sure you will be very well entertained or maybe not. I'm going to bed...night night

@

Abstacy, for all intent and purposes. I ll would like to know wat drama u expect to unfold. I have read several of your post and u sound like an APC partisan but since this National Assembly issue arose u seem to have switched to the opposing party P.D.P. We all know that no member can work outside it's party manifesto. If saraki can't accept lawan as the party choice for senate president. Then saraki is carrying out anti party act and can be suspended. This is a new government and it is too early for anybody to be trying to split up the house for his personal gain. live and let's live

@

@benumbed Actually this is not a party issue but a senate issue. Senators decide who their senate president is not a party. If it was a party issue, then only the party with majority would be allowed to vote. As far as we know, Saraki got votes from APC and PDP senators so which one is party manifesto? If Lawan had sense, he would have been at his job (i.e the senate red chambers) at 10am instead of running somewhere for another meeting...

Finally someone that knows politics and how it works. Some people just open mouth and blab nonsense and couldn't even read between the lines. Party Manifesto indeed!