Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

"21st June, 2015 Home I never imagined my three friends could gang rape me

Calllaris

Ogundimu-and-Aderinoye-360x228.jpg

Link: http://www.punchng.c...-by-neighbours/

In an act, which has shocked residents of a neighbourhood in Iju area of Lagos, three friends – Habeeb Adisa (25), Kehinde Aderinoye (25) and Ilyas Ogundimu (27) – have raped one of their female neighbours, a young woman,who is their close friend in the neighbourhood.

The victim, 19-year-old Adenike (not real name), a hair stylist, volunteered to speak with Saturday PUNCH, saying she summoned the courage to speak about her ordeal because she did not want them to go free and do the same to someone else.

Narrating how she was violated by the three men whom she trusted most in their neighbourhood, Adenike told our correspondent that not once did she suspect within the two years she knew them that they had such a heinous plan for her.

Calmly, but with a lot of anger and pain showing in her eyes, Adenike said, “I became friends with them as neighbours two years ago when my mother first rented an apartment in the area.

“Kehinde began to make advances to me. But I told him we were friends and did not want to be in a relationship with him. I have always rejected his advances.

“Later he would tell Habeeb and Ilyas to approach me to appeal on his behalf to accept his proposal, but I made them to understand that I could not go out with him. But we still talked and sat together in the neighbourhood as friends.”

Unknown to Adenike, the gentle disposition of her three friends was just a façade for the plan they had hatched on how to sexually assault her.

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015, an opportunity presented itself for the rapist friends to put their plan to work.

Adenike said, “In the morning of that day, around 9.30am, I went over Kehinde’s house like I usually did sometimes when I had nothing to do at home. I trusted them completely and usually went there to while away the time.

“Habeeb and Ilyas were there also. We were just talking when Habeeb suddenly came to me and picked me up. He threw me on the bed and I told him that I didn’t like that kind of play. I said, ‘If this is part of your playful habit I am not up for it.’

“But as he threw me on the bed, before I could stand up, he lay on me and pinned me down firmly. Kehinde quickly came over and started to remove my underwear. That was when I knew what they wanted to do. I struggled with them but they pinned me down and took turns to rape me.

Adisa

“When I was screaming, one of them quickly went to the CD player, which was on at the time and turned on the music to maximum volume so that it would drown out my voice.”

When they finished, the three friends smiled in relish, it was learnt. They told their prey to pretend that what happened to her was a mere sexual encounter.

“They told me to just forget what happened and keep it between the four of us. But I realised that if I was afraid of stigma and kept it to myself, they would walk free and even boast to their friends about what they did to me. They would surely do it to someone else,” Adenike said.

Bruised and battered, Adenike summoned the courage to approach someone she trusted in the neighbourhood and narrated what happened to her. She was immediately advised to go to the Iju Police Division and report the incident.

As soon as she reported, some landlords in the area rose in the men’s defence.

Adenike’s mother said that because the parents of the rapists are landlords in the area, they first threatened her that if she decided to make the issue a police case, she would lose.

But on Thursday, after the police had arrested the suspects, our correspondent witnessed as families of the culprits and other residents of the area came out to the police station to beg Adenike’s mother.

Adenike’s case highlights the increasing incidence of sexual offences in Nigeria, where majority of sexual offences go unreported.

On Friday, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, Mr. Kenneth Nwosu, told our correspondent that the suspects had been charged to court.

(Culled from Punch Nigeria)

You see what we mean when we say that first the individual has to understand the law?

Bravo to this amazing young woman for coming forward, her mother and all those that supported her. It is not strange to hear such threats and discouragement as from the landlord etc. NPF, I hail too. You guys are working.

It wouldn't have been all possible though without the 19 year old's resolution. She should become an advocate for such victims now. After coming thus far, nothing short of such publicity and bigger projects is expected for her

You rights groups and NGO's involved in issues concerning women and the girl child, step out in an intervention to help stabilise this violated woman and also bring you and your organisation (NGO) further to lime light.

I get upset whenever I read stories like this... Some men deserve to have their balls chopped off. That should be the penalty for rape.

Hilarious for a serious situation: Chopped off.

Headline needs a little editing though. Can one edit a topic?

• Administrators

Hilarious for a serious situation: Chopped off.

Headline needs a little editing though. Can one edit a topic?

Yup you can.

Go back to the thread -- locate the topic (but don't open) -- move your mouse to the right till you see 4 icons -- The first icon should be rename topic...

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

• Administrators

There is never a good excuse for raping a woman, any woman. The boys should be made to face the law, if there is one, but i hope they don't go unpunished.

• Like 1

There is never a good excuse for raping a woman, any woman. The boys should be made to face the law, if there is one, but i hope they don't go unpunished.

Oh definite, there is a law. Time is when do we become 'concious' of it?

The procedure will be; report a matter to the police, police investigates and makes arrests, then police charge matter to court and prosecution starts in the court.

Charges are read and whatever the suspects/ defendants may plead, they are remanded in prison custody yet granted bail meet the gravity of the offences (in like sum and surety)

If the defendants are granted bail, the prosecutor will consider and request appropriate conditions be attached to bail.

To protect the victim from trauma or the risk of danger, threats or pressure, the prosecution may ask that the suspect/ defendant be kept in custody.

Right now the rape suspects (they remain suspects until sentenced) should be in prison custody; for every capital offence like murder, rape, kidnap etc, there is no bail at the police station.

The court can grant bail while prosecution continues until suspects are proven to have committed the crime, then sentence.

I doubt these boys can meet up the condition of their bail though, it will be high with all the publicity? So they remain in Kirikiri as trial continues

But one thing their families' ll definitely be doing at this point will be to approach Adenike's family and plead to settle out of court with some sum of money and offer to pay some bills. This is allowed, but I hope they are refused.