Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Okagbare sets World Championships targets

FlyJ

• Administrators

Nigerian sprinter, Blessing Okagbare, has set her targets for the 2015 IAAF World Athletics Championships in China.

The 15th World Championships, which will feature over 17 events, is slated for the National Stadium, Beijing, China, between August 22 and 29.

Okagbare, who has qualified for the event by virtue of her performances in the Diamond Leagues, said she wants to better her present records at the competition.

“I’d like to break the 10.7 seconds mark for the 100 metres and the 22.8 seconds mark for the 200 metres, and I want to jump further than 7.*** meters in the long jump,” she told Nike.com.

“I have goals written up and posted around my room. I write them as soon as I wake, when I’m feeling fresh.”

To achieve the goals, the 2014 Commonwealth 100m gold medallist said she had begun working harder at her training regimen.

She said, “I have started training for both (sprints and jump). I train for both on the same day. For the jump, I practice techniques and afterwards I once switch to the sprints, focusing on my speed work, especially my starts, which is what I battle with.”

“I start at 6am every morning in the gym before I run; you get muscles from explosive training. The power of my runs comes from doing weight training and the speed comes from track running,” she added.

Source

• Like 1