Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Another sexist offence from BIC

Calllaris

743.jpg?w=465&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Link: http://www.theguardi...rica-womens-day

Equality

'Look like a girl … think like a man': Bic causes outrage on national women's day

A South African pen manufacturer has apologised after its “empowering” message to women urging them to look like a girl and think like a man caused outrage on social media.

Bic South Africa posted the ad on its Facebook page to celebrate national women’s day. Showing a smiling woman in a suit with arms folded, it read: “Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a boss #HappyWomensDay.”

The post was eventually deleted as commentators expressed disgust.

“Look like a girl?’ Because the infantilisation of women and the sexualisation of children is exactly the kind of blurred line we need!”, read one, the Sunday Times in Johannesburg reported.

“Why am I expected to look like a child? Why am I expected to see the world through a masculine lens? Why am I expected to ‘think like a man’ but not expected to ‘act like a man’ on my so-called manly thoughts?” wrote another.

— Caroline CriadoPerez (@CCriadoPerez)August 11, 2015what fresh hell is this? pic.twitter.com/KctXjvWAHp

Among those taking to Twitter to condemn the advert, feminist activist Caroline Criado-Perez, who campaigned for a female face on UK banknotes, tweeted: “What fresh hell is this” and “srsly, ‘think like a man’...*stabs eyes out with bic pen*”.

Commentators were swift to point out it was not the first time the company has faced accusations of sexist marketing. Its pink “for her” pens in 2012 “designed to fit comfortably in a woman’s hand” were derided by, among many others, the US comedian Ellen Degeneres.

The company deleted the original ad posted on Sunday and sought to explain that the quotes, taken from a “women in business” blog, and were meant “in the most empowering way possible and in no way derogatory towards women”.

When that failed to appease, it removed that post, too, and replaced it with the apology: “Let’s start out by saying we’re incredibly sorry for offending everybody – that was never our intention, but we completely understand where we’ve gone wrong. This post should never have gone out. The feedback you have given us will help us ensure that something like this will never happen again, and we appreciate that”.

One tweet flipped the equation on Bic:

# Look like a boy. Act like a man. Think like a woman. Work like a boss#.

"I think the litmus test for brands should be would it work if the roles are reversed. #absurd, isn't it? #BIC," JanetBr posted

Ellen DeGeneres had a field day with it in 2012! when BIC introduced a line of Bic for Her writing implements -- pens just for women.

"They have a new line of pens called Bic for Her. This is totally real," she mused. "I know you're thinking, 'It's about damn time. Where have our pens been?'

"Can you believe this? We've been using man pens all these years."

I have a pen collection. I've never collected any kind of BIC pen lines. "Too ordinary for her lines"