Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Activists gather to protest the repeal of Nigerian Anti gay law in the Uk.

Calllaris

Pic: http://static4.demot...ria_8691926.jpg

Pic: https://m.facebook.c...unt=7&source=48

Pic: https://m.facebook.c...unt=9&source=48

Over 100 freedom lovers turned out enmass to demand #‎RepealNigeriaAntiGayLaw at the #‎NigeriaEmbassy! The rally held on 30th September 2015, between 1-2pm, outside the Nigerian High Commission, 9 Northumberland Avenue, London WC2N 5BX

A petition with over 70,000 petition signatures was delivered to President #‎Muhammadu Buhari to #RepealNigeriaAntiGayLawThe rally aimed to put pressure on the Nigerian President to uphold LGBTI human rights, urging the repeal of all Nigeria’s anti-LGBT laws.

The petition circulated several weeks before the rally as signatures were collated both live and online.

The event was organised by Lesbian activist, Aderonke Apata, and supported by African LGBTI organisation, Out and Proud Diamond Group, and the Peter Tatchell Foundation.

A lot of LGBTIQ supporters were seen grabbing their rainbow flag and headed down to Northumberland Avenue, on Wednesday to rally for the repeal of Nigeria's anti-LGBTI laws.

Apata said: "Growing up in Nigeria, I was unable to disclose my sexuality, yet unable to hide it. The culture in Nigeria makes it clear that being gay or transgender is a sin, a sentiment that is fuelled by homophobic messages from faith communities, political leaders, families, and schools. I took these messages in, identified with them, and carried the shame of being a lesbian woman in Nigeria. I was arrested, tortured and extorted by the Nigerian police. I demand a repeal of this toxic law."

Under a nineteenth century law imposed by the British colonial administration, male homosexuality is punishable in Nigeria by a sentence of 14 years imprisonment.

More recently, a draconian new anti-LGBTI law - the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill - was signed into law in January 2014 by the then president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. It is one of the harshest and most punitive of the many laws in nearly 80 countries that criminalise Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people.

This draconian anti-LGBTI law prohibits same-sex marriage with a penalty of up to 14 years in prison. It also stipulates10 years jail for public displays of same-sex affection and 10 years for membership or support of LGBTI equality and advocacy groups.

“These two repressive laws are a toxic abuse of the human rights of Nigerian LGBTI people. They violate the non-discrimination clause (Article 42) of the Nigerian Constitution, Articles 2 and *** of the African Charter on Human and People's Rights, and the equality provisions of the Commonwealth Charter, to which Nigeria is a signatory and which the country has pledged to uphold and respect,” said Mr Tatchell.

- C

(culled from various)