Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Give a title to this.

fairy

Tufia! My mom spat.

This cannot happen. You cannot bring shame to this family. I didn't do it to my mother and you wouldn't do it to me.

She shook her head and cast her face downward. Silence.

I looked at her feeling sorry for her. She was a good woman and did not deserve this. I took in her shaved head, black cloth and white pearls. This woman had known pains. I felt pity surge through me and a certain sourness in my stomach. I swallowed. My throat was dry.

As if to escape her pains which was now enveloping me, I looked away from her and gazed instead at my better half.

Breathtaking and then beautiful were the only words I deemed fit at that moment. Breathtakingly beautiful.

Kelly and I had met at a pride conference in Abuja. Dark skinned with full lips that opened into a smile revealing white teeth that flashed. These features captivated me. Her strides were carried out by slender long legs, evenly toned and she walked with an air of certainty - an assuredness as if she knew for sure she was the most beautiful, most alluring and most charming woman in the entire hall.

Her voice invaded my ears for the first time. It was melody.

"God forbid I let this happen!" "Over my dead body!"

No. That wasn't her speaking. That was my mom.

Mother was up now. standing, looking down at us. She was overbearing. All signs of pains had vanished and in its wake was anger. Hot red anger.

"Mom..." I tried to say. I had lost my words. My night of prepping couldn't do justice. I felt small.

"There is no wrong in loving another woman. I do not understand how a woman of your intellect cannot understand this." I cleared my throat for even I couldn't hear myself. "Love is..." My voice trailed. I was defeated.

There was no use trying to make a woman of such spiritual upbringing understand that love is love. Man and woman. Man and man. Woman and woman. Dog and Cat. Love is love.

Kelly stood up. She was in tears. I turned to give mom a pained look. That brief silence was all Kelly needed. She made for the door.

Thanks mom I said and quickly ran after Kelly yelling her name. She paid no attention. I could hear my mom laugh wryly. A train of cusses and then prayers followed suit. I couldn't hear her. I didn't want to.

The bang of the gate, the start of the engine and the screech of tires were all I heard. They are all that is in my head now.

I remember running after Kelly. I remember screaming her name. I remember the red car. The collision. I closed my eyes and I could see it again like I do every night and every day. Smoke. Smell of petrol. Shouts.

The noose was ready and so was the note. I closed my eyes and I could see her. Calling and beckoning. I smiled even in my hour of death. I tightened the noose and pushed away the stool on which I stood as I called...

"Kelly."

_Blackfairy

• Moderators

Very impressive I must 'write'. Reads very Chimamanda Adichie like.

Well done newbie! Well done!

...for title, what about: Don't cry for me mama! Or Kelly my love

:D hahahahaha

• Moderators

The mother for the loss of a dream in a daughter who would never be the woman she had hoped

Kelly's death in itself brought death to her lover. A heart that bleeds is death bound isn't it :)

Kelly's death. A suicide however unintentional.

Impressive title. Out of the box kind of thinking... *applauds*

I still prefer *in Igbo accent* "don't cry for me mama!" hahahaha

The mother for the loss of a dream in a daughter who would never be the woman she had hoped

Kelly's death in itself brought death to her lover's. A heart that bleeds is death bound isn't it :)/>

hahahaha!!! You're the smarty!

Kelly's death in itself brought death to her lover. A heart that bleeds is death bound isn't it :)/>

I still prefer *in Igbo accent* "don't cry for me mama!" hahahaha

lmao Igbo accent! nnem don't cly for me o. adim orkey.(okay)