Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Blind Date

fairy

I sank deeper into the comfortable chair of the near empty lounge. The conditioning was just right and the poor lighting gave it an air of romance. Soft music purred from a hidden speaker and I stared at the many paintings that covered the marble walls. A picture caught my attention. It was a fine reproduction of The Mona Lisa. Staring at her made me think of women. What beautiful creatures they are. Well, most of them.

For the umpteenth time, I glanced at my watch. A dim red glow covered the screen as I pushed the little button at the right corner. It was a beautiful watch. A gift from last Christmas. I smiled as I remembered that Christmas morning and the smell of turkey filled my nostrils as though I was back in the kitchen, with my siblings getting ready Christmas lunch. It was a fun Christmas.

Sitting here alone waiting wasn't fun though. I curled my fingers around the glass of dry Martini I had previously ordered. Lifting the glass, I smelt it's contents. I let the smell of vodka linger for a little while and then, I took a sip. This was a joke. It ought to be or why else would I be seated here waiting? The uncertainty overwhelmed me.

I tried to convince myself that I wasn't stupid for accepting to do this. It was my first blind date and I didn't know how it would turn out. My mind flirted on a lot of ideas that developed into theories. What if this turned into a rough bad night with I playing victim? I shuddered at the thought of myself lying hands bound in a pool of my own blood and of course excrement. I wondered what it felt like to die. Thinking of death got me awfully nervous. I stared at my watch again and shook my head. Thirty minutes had turned into an hour.

"I'll be there in thirty hun" she had said. Her voice sounded like lullaby and I had become drunk by that voice.

It all began on Saturday night. My best friend had come in straight from work. She had to talk to me. An intervention was what she called it.

"Girl you've been single for too long" she said as she sank her teeth into a slice of pizza she had ordered. I stared at her silently as I chewed on my own piece. This wasn't happening. Of course I knew how it was going to end.

Sheila yapped on and on about how I needed to get my groove back because according to her, I reeked of loneliness and would have long died save for her constant visits. "What are friends for?" I murmured.

Sheila shook her head. She was stubborn like that and wouldn't stop until she got her prize. In this case, her prize was getting me boo'ed up.

She had dialed her cousin and he in turn had dialed numbers and in less than an hour, I had found myself a date. "Yippe!" sheila screamed and did a little dance. It was a bit of salsa or was it tango? I couldn't tell. My mind was drenched in that voice. It was a song-like voice that got stuck in my psyche.

Annabel was her name. We didn't talk much. "Toby" I had said in response when she said her name. Annabel had called the very next day asking to meet and here I was, seated in this now empty lounge wondering if my choices were right.

I grabbed my phone and hit "call log" but stopped myself almost immediately. There had to be a sign in this. Putting the phone away, I beckoned on the waitress. All I wanted was to pay my bill and get out of there as fast as I could.

"Going somewhere?"

I recognized that voice almost immediately. It was music. Same voice that had haunted me and intruded my thinking. Annabel's voice.

I looked, up toward the voice. It was the Mona Lisa staring down at me. Annabel's beauty struck me. I shivered. "Ow you are here?" I heard myself say. My voice sounded dry, unsure and small. I hated that. I cussed myself silently. "Ow you are here?" "What was that?" "That line was lame" my mind probed me. I shunned the incessant probing and gave Annabel a weak smile. She sat opposite me and gave me a knowing look. Her smile was infectious. I was lost in her eyes. Big beautiful eyes that made me forget how long I had waited. "The traffic along Isolo was terrible" she said cutting through my lust. "Ow!" was my simple reply. It seemed my vocabulary had disappeared and no matter how I searched for words, "ow" was the only word I found. Is that even a word? I thought to myself.

Annabel and I picked up conversation. We talked about random unimportant things. Career, hobbies, even sports but somehow, we avoided bringing up relationships. I was thrown off balance when flashing a flirty smile, she said "I hear you want to get your groove back?" "How about we get started?"

How the hell did she know that? "Sheila!" I felt like killing Sheila. She was a witch for hanging my ass out to dry like this. I was going to kill her later.

I stared at Annabel smiling sheepishly, unsure how to answer her question. I concluded that it was rhetoric so I remained silent.

"Come on" she said taking my hands. "I want to show you something."

I followed cautiously behind her. I remembered all the serial killer movies I had seen and though none of the sociopaths were women, I couldn't help but think "there's always a first right?"

Annabel stopped inches from her car. It was a white Toyota car. I couldn't tell the model. Cars aren't my thing. "Let's go for a ride" Annabel said.

"A ride?" "errmm..." I patted my hair, "I'm not so sure about that".

She laughed. Her laughter was the verse two of the song her voice had been singing.

"Don't be a bore now." "I trust you ain't a boring pretty cutie."

"Boring pretty cutie?" I asked raising a brow. I had to show her I wasn't anything near boring and words couldn't work it. "What has she got up her sleeves even?" I had to see the end of her little game. I couldn't deny it. A part of me was enjoying every bit of it. My fear was lifted as curiosity washed over me. A gush of wind swept past us playing with Annabel's hair. My God! She was beautiful. 

"Come now" she said opening the car. She slid behind the wheels. "O well, you only live once" I said underneath my breath and slid in beside her.

_Blackfairy

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Oh wow! You my dear write ever so beautifully!

Brilliant piece of writing _Blackfairy. Your mind is indeed a work of 'art' in itself .

You should consider publishing someday. Well done!

Oh wow! You my dear write ever so beautifully!

Brilliant piece of writing _Blackfairy. Your mind is indeed a work of 'art' in itself .

You should consider publishing someday. Well done!

merci. I'll consider it though I don't feel I'm ready.

• Moderators

This is so nice...

Hawken Hawken! Hey pal! Been a minute! Missed ya! -especially your precise and humorous one liners.LOL.

Hawken Hawken! Hey pal! Been a minute! Missed ya! -especially your precise and humorous one liners.LOL.

Haha being a bit down but i'm way better now :D

• Moderators

Haha being a bit down but i'm way better now :D/>

Awwwh... *sad face* glad you're gradually coming out of it. Get well soon mate *wink* Good to have you back!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...