Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

BIG BROTHER- not the IGBOS

Abystacy

Vehemently my NigerDeltan friends have rejected the idea of counting them into Biafra. We are not Biafra they declared over and over. We have no intention of changing masters; if we must be free then we must be free indeed. The Igbos are cunning, cheat, fraudsters and thieves. They are mad, greedy and foolish some blasted, “abeg make them carry their 419 Biafra and blood money waka”. They are only gunning for our oil, some say, let them go and sit down at their main markets.

I too would be afraid of Ndi Igbo if I was not from Igboland. I would hold them suspect and trust them little. They have this knack to ransack any region they enter legitimately and tap into every economic opportunity resident, often leaving the landlords standing barely on their toes. They settle and bring in their kits and kin Okeke and Okafor to drill crude, refine oil, trade oil, drive tankers, do conductors, sell black market, become the policemen at oil facilities and eventually see to the dryness of the superfluously gifted land. If only they would stop there; but they won’t stop there, they will keep going. They would start running Calabar Kitchen with an edge, they will sack the fishermen and start fishing even in the restricted zones, where deities and demons reside. They won’t contest in your elections or demand a Commissioner slot, but somehow they will grow to become an economic strong force sine qua non in the running of the state.

So far only one NigerDeltan has impressed me. His name is Ena Ofugara-some fiery Warri boy with a boiling ink based in the United States. He asserts categorically his right to be who he is, to be an Urhobo man from South South without being counted into Biafra by force. Let’s assume the land of the rising sun becomes reality, he reserves the right to be consulted. To be told his stakes and benefits and be assured that the future of his generation is secured. That he did not readily carve his territory into Biafra is no crime. He has not insulted or disappointed anybody; rather he had made his father proud by asking before eating. He supports Biafra but prefers at least for now to remain Urhobo man till he understands the stakes in Biafra. Not that I care nevertheless about Biafra shit...

Whatever gives, I make bold to assert still, that while it would be sweet to share a country with the oil decorated NigerDelta, no one will die if we don’t. Every man has a right to decide his own destiny. I will only take exception to the demonization of the Igbo tribe. Ndi Igbo are not the problem of the South South.

The South South should look in the mirror and see who holds the whips of the retrogression; It is not Emeka or Obinna or Okafor. It is Amechi, Oshiomole, Clark, Alaibe etc all from NigerDelta. Ours is to tap into the economic opportunities afforded to us, whoever rules is not our concern. What smells in the body of a he-goat is in its body. The Amazon of NigerDelta Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was most vilified not by an Igbo man, it was by a citizen of NigerDelta, Oshiomole. President Jonathan had hardly taken his bow of honour and his erstwhile political father Edwin Clark from the same tribe has forsaken him already, calling him a weakling. Need I discuss Amechi versus President Jonathan and by extension the whole NigerDelta?

I think the north is having a field day watching the wannabes disagreeing on what exactly to be. A portion of the NigerDelta is already in Cameroon. Ceded by a northerner and affirmed by a South westerner. Consent engineering was not called upon in that regard. I heard a former senator Florence Ita Giwa hails from that side. What did she do? Nothing, because she could do nothing than enjoy her plush Ankaras, glitzy pancakes and lipsticks, while her kinsmen moved into camps and settlements. To punish Biafra, Bakassi was sacrificed and nothing would happen if Cameroon extends its borders to Benin, Warri and Ugep. Ndi Igbo would be happy to do business with the government of Cameroon which hopefully would be relinquished to NigerDelta because they brought oil. Who knows Jonathan may soon break history and get lucky and become the only man to rule in two countries? I will now need visa to see my Ekaette, well all is well.

My point is simple, let Ijaw and Urhobo, Ibibio and Efik, Esan and Bini, Ikwerre and Okrika agree to live together before bothering about Ndi Igbo......