Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Monsters Within

kimi

• Moderators

I thought to share this; something we all know about but perhaps need to be reminded of often.

Negative emotions are like monsters (I prefer that term to 'seeds'). As long as you aren't making a deliberate effort at improving upon them, they grow bigger and they get worse. Those emotions rarely stay dormant. Examples would be the likes of anger, greed, jealousy and ofcourse, a foul mouth.

You'd agree with me that, let's take anger as a case study, it only gets worse when unchecked. It graduates to something worse and grimmer each time. Say, I am one who easily takes to offence and I have had such a crappy day at work. Naturally, I would get moody and lash out at the first person (usually those closest/dear to me) that doesn't do a thing the way I would like. These people who have now become victims of my outbursts will begin to 'manage' me by walking on eggshells when around me. That behaviour, although very counterproductive, is their defence against any further hurt from me.

...and so, because I am 'used' to people 'accepting/managing' or being careful when around me, never reprimanding me, I tend to feel justified and in my selfish and myopic view, never 'see' the hurt I inflict on another. On and on, and that's how anger develops into fury, rage and then you go kick the cat, or throw an object, or, the worst of them all, hit your woman.

Let's check those monsters, we all have 'em

Best wishes

xx

I realized that if my thoughts immediately affect my body, I should be careful about what I think. Now if I get angry, I ask myself why I feel that way. If I can find the source of my anger, I can turn that negative energy into something positive.

-Yoko Ono

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...