Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Outing your fears

kimi

• Moderators

Philosophical Sunday

Everyone has something they are afraid of. For some it's heights, others, it is commitment or even the fear of sex. Any type of sex at all, be it hetero or homo.

I've had my share of fears and still have 'em. Recently, I outed one of such fears. Believe or not, I used to be terrified of heavy rainfall. I would dread going to work, my heart would not stop pounding and when at home, I would cover my entire body in sheets curled up in bed. Thunders were the worst!LOL.

For a long time, I actually thought it was a normal phenomenon and everyone was afraid of heavy rainfall. Then I told a friend and she laughed for days!LOL.

Here's how I outed mine:

1. I made a decision to face the fear squarely. It wasn't good for my rep :rolleyes:
  2. I asked myself why I felt the way I did (usually this is the last question you get answered because it can only be determined when other questions have been answered.
  3. Try to describe the fear and how it makes you feel. Give accurate descriptions to the emotions it stirs up (e.g. anger, trepidation, distress etc...)
  4. Next, you ask yourself what other situations make you feel that exact same way.
  5. It is from answering *** and 4 above that you are able to start understanding the fear better and the possible root cause.

I realized I was scared of rain because I associated it with violence, very ferocious arguments and the possibility of the roof caving in on me. The last question I asked myself then was: "but why would you associate it with all that?" Tracing it all back, I realized, the only memories I had of such nights were the nights it rained heavily.LOL.

Don't be a victim of your mind. You are and should always remain the boss of it.

Not sure who this will be useful for. Sunday morning ramblings.

xx

• Upvote 1