Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

My Heart

dequeen

I looked to the sky tonight and it was without stars. Is the sky my heart? I asked in wonder feeling the emptiness within me, the lack of laughter, and smiles.

I looked to the sky again and the moon stood shining brightly in the shape of a scar, just the way I remember it drawn from those early story books. it stood proud like a scar, the scar in my heart, the scar of the pains I had survived, the scar that reminded me of my testimonies, the scar that was a marking of me as a warrior.

I looked to the sky again, and it was a darkish blue, is the sky my heart? I asked. Cause that was the very colour of my heart lately, blue but not just blue, a darkish blue, a colour that seeked to soak everything in its path, a colour that threatened to drawn even the brightest yellow, a colour that would not let a rainbow shine through it.

Then I listened, all was quiet. It is my heart, I said. All of life shows me and reflects to me my heart. The quietness was my blankness, the quietness was the drowning of my soul, the quietness was my battle to hope against hope.

My heart scared me so I sought out noise, I sought out fights, I cussed and I fought. I blew and I was blown, we were tossing on the floor, and kicking and slapping and biting and pinching and people around us were shouting, in that moment I felt peace because I wasn't facing my heart, I was facing someone I could see, I saw the blood running down her lips and felt the salty taste of blood in my mouth, it felt good. And then my heart spoke, "it is your heart", the fighting only betrays the confusion you feel, the pain suppressed,the instability you dread. I limped home thinking, "why run away from your heart? It will always be with you."

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Wow...

I'm just seeing this.

Ingenious! How you've likened the elements to the state of the heart/mind. It's a beautiful read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. For some reason, my heart ached as I read through.

• 2 weeks later...