Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

LGBT Ugandan's Equals to 'Bombastic' 

Calllaris

Edited

Living in a nation that proudly criminalizes LGBT identity would be enough to make most people stay in the closet — but LGBT activists in Uganda refuse to be silenced or ignored. In fact, they’re downright Bombastic!

Led by prominent human rights defender and out lesbian Kasha Jacqueline Nabagesera, LGBT activists in Uganda released the second edition of Bombastic magazine on the International Day of Transgender Visibility.

Fittingly, the cover of the latest edition, which is available in print for free throughout Uganda and online at the outlet’s attendant website, Kuchu Times, features a photo of a transgender man binding his breasts. Billed as “an anthology of stories, poems, and testimonies,” the full-color, 72-page Bombastic looks to serve as “a beacon of hope and a symbol of our resilience,” according to a press release from the publisher, Kuchu Times Media Group.

The word “kuchu” is Ugandan slang for “gay,” and activists have long been working to reclaim the term, much as some U.S. activists have reclaimed the once-defamatory word “queer.” Included with each copy of Bombastic is the award-winning documentary Call Me Kuchu, which documents the life and untimely death of David Kato, often described as the first out gay man in Uganda. Several of the members of Bombastic‘s editorial team knew Kato personally and can be seen in the film mourning his death and fighting back against religious demonstrators who interrupted his 2011 funeral in Kampala.

Launched in December 2014, Bombastic is Uganda’s first and only publication created by and for the beleaguered LGBTI community in the East African nation. Its slogan — “our voices, our stories, our lives” — speaks to the importance its editorial team places on elevating the first-hand experiences and struggles of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and intersex Ugandans living at home and abroad, rather than seeing those stories told through a lens of Western, predominantly white journalists. The first edition of the magazine has been downloaded more than 2 million times, according to Kuchu Times Media Group.

“This publication is a humble call to all Ugandans to understand our plight and not judge us based on the misconceptions told to them,” Nabagesera said in a statement accompanying the latest edition. “We are not calling on Ugandans to become LGBTI nor are we asking for special treatment, we are simply calling on our fellow society to recognize that we are part and parcel of the Ugandan society and any unfair treatment towards us simply because of who we love is an injustice to the whole society.”

Beginning in 2013, Nabagesera was one of a dozen LGBTI Ugandans who worked with The Advocate to compile a photo essay that shared firsthand stories from these diverse individuals. Although the article received several awards — including a 2014 GLAAD Award for Outstanding Digital Journalism, Multimedia — editors with this publication took the story offline after Ugandan tabloid Red Pepper plagiarized the story wholesale, splashing a headline on the front page reading “Uganda’s Top Gays Speak: How We Became Homos.”

I wonder why smaller countries are making bigger leaps in the gay right movement than the alleged giants of Africa. Not as much hypocrites over there perhaps.

I wonder why smaller countries are making bigger leaps in the gay right movement than the alleged giants of Africa. Not as much hypocrites over there perhaps.

Right there is the problem. We're too large. You live in a state that from 2006 census says over 9million people live in. If over 9million people live there, estimates should be that there should be about 500,000 queer people there as well. Now, do you personally know up to 50 queer people in that state alone??? Do you know the names of the leading queer activists in that state?? Are you contributing in cash or kind to any queer movement organisation in that state? Do you even know any queer organisation in that state??

That's why I think that's the problem.....

Another problem is that even if i knew all those people, even if i knew all those organisations, i still wouldnt do peehen. I wouldnt join, and i would definitely not protest. Nigeria is largely an all man for himself or herself kinda place. I'm not saying i dont care about other queer people, i do. But only as much as i care for the next person who isn't queer. However, if i have the oppurtunity to help ANYBODY i would, and it wont be because they belong to the same minority as me.

I dunno why i think like this, but having discussed this movement thing severally with a pal of mine, i have cone to the conclusion that it is because

1) i know how the average Nigerian thinks. Nobody wants to be a scape goat and people will rat you out to save their hide. So right now i have absolutely no faith in any Nigerian based movement.

2) i am just not moving with the right crowd. Perhaps, some where out there is a group of people who actually care and are passionate about helping out and enacting a change. I haven't met them though so they are naught but wishful thinking to me.

We are large, that's why it's an all man for himself thingy as you put it. Small family units tend to be a lot more closer than larger family units. Understandable. The thing is that too many people are pussies, wimps and raised to be terribly dependent.

As to your numerated concerns,

1. How can they detain you as queer without any concrete evidence?? Did they see you kissing a girl? Do they have a picture of it? Did they catch you making love to a girl? What's the evidence that you are queer??

2. Association does play a big role to be honest. I didn't really care for anything other than getting laid when I joined this forum. I and a couple friends even had a plan to get married, grow old and become sugar mummies to some really young chics, spoil them rotten we'd say and it was a pretty good plan to us. Until I met someone on this forum who was actively involved in the queer activism movement and that really made me start rethinking a lot of things and now i'm truly considering activism on a lot of scales because i've seen her and heard of others doing it.

Haha, you talk like we live in an ideal country, a place where evidence is needed before you can be detained. My sister, if you walk pass a grumpy police man and you don't greet, he can detain you oh. This happened to my friend in Lagos, it was dark, she walked passed a group of policemen, they hollered and she didnt answer. They took her to the police station, said they caught her prostituting (AS IF). Even though she didnt go into holding at all, the embarrassment and harassment she went through... It was long leg that brought her out that day. So my dear...

LOOOL true, i agree. But they don't need evidence to damage your reputation or to make you the target of a homophobic mob.

• Upvote 1

Assuming the comparison to the LGBT progresses in Uganda will be LGBT Nigeria, there are many other reasons apart from internalized homophobia, irregular organizational structures via processes, armature leadership, corruption etc that stands against the LGBT community here.

Chief amongst the reasons is the law.

The draconic law (pardon) against homosexuals in Nigeria is the harshest in the world. The bill, which contains penalties of up to 14 years in prison and bans gay marriage, same-sex “amorous relationships” and membership of gay rights groups also legislates for a much broader crackdown on homosexuals and lesbians, who already live a largely underground existence here.

“Persons who enter into a same-sex marriage contract or civil union commit an offense and are each liable on conviction to a term of 14 years in prison,” the bill says....

“Any person who registers, operates or participates in gay clubs, societies and organizations or directly or indirectly makes public show of same-sex amorous relationship in Nigeria commits an offense and shall each be liable on conviction to a term of 10 years in prison.”

It is a bad thing and there is a danger in lumping all of these groups together, we will then be missing out on the key differences between the situations - Nigeria's and 'others'

Nigeria was the first African country to propose such a bill, and the first to sign it into law. So no other country had done it on the continent of Africa, and I do not think any other country has done it in the modern world. What we have, even in the case of Russia, is banning gay propaganda, not banning same-sex relationships. It's saying that you can be gay, but you can't do it in public. Nigeria's law is actually saying if you are gay, or if you are accused to be, you will be arrested.

The intl and local press and the politicians are being a little cautious about Nigeria's situation, I wonder why? So that Nigeria is actually overshadowed by Russia and Uganda in the global debate over gay rights.

This position of our law begets dehumanization of gay people in Nigeria ie what we see happening everyday in Nigeria, the obsessions of Nigerians with, 'madness' ... That every time a gay person is arrested in Nigeria, the next thing people do is strip them naked, hide their clothes and take their photo's and pass it on... Just take off their clothes and put them out there and in videos. This is like an obsession in Nigeria. Totally dehumanizing.

It is worthy of note that Uganda's anti gay bill had been struck off in December 2013 and nullified by the constitutional court. Reasons being that parliament passed it without the necessary quorum as required by law. (a substantial number of members of parliament chose to be absent on the day the bill was due to be passed so...)

Therefore the LGBT community in Uganda has taken advantage of this golden opportunity. A totally different case from Nigeria.

The LGBT population in Nigeria is not even advocating for same-sex marriage at this point; they are simply asking that their sexualities and identities be decriminalized.

Let the Nigerian LGBT theme remain more of gay rights as human rights. That will be about the only similarity with Uganda

I have so many issues with this thread. From calling people hypocrites to complaining that people aren't doing much.

Errr, didn't I just put the trailer to the gay movie a few weeks back?

Just FYI I was on NL a few months back asking if anyone wanted to speak about their experiences anonymously for a book about queer women. Not ONE person on NL agreed to.

Also, it is very unfair to say there is no activism. Off the top of my head, we have OUT LGBTI people like Rashidi Williams, Dr. Otibho, Ifeanyi Orazulike, Micheal Akanji, Spectra, Olumide Makajuola, Pamela Adie and co...living and working to make a difference for LGBTI people in Nigeria. Just cos some of us are in a bubble and haven't branched out doesn't mean people aren't out there putting their necks on the line

For example, how many of us here know that the Same Sex Prohibition Act is being challenged in the Lagos & Abuja fed high court by some of the individuals I just mentioned above? Anyone?!

I constantly put up lists of LGBTI organisations, their websites and their numbers here. There is activism, community, counselling, legal help, free books, movies, series, couple conflict resolution....anything you need but if no one here uses it, that is on us, not on the people out there providing that service. I mean even the people who set up this website are doing their bit for the community!

*takes a deep breath*

A little less complaining and a little more action as Elvis will say. This is something I am very passionate about and it rubs me the wrong way when I read stuff like this. Yes Uganda is making headway with their magazine, but Nigerians are out there doing their best too.

• Upvote 1

I'm loving this Althena o. Like silently, slowly, growing love. I think I have been struck by cupid!

Yea, she is right. I know about one LGBTI organization here in Lagos (I no come Lagos to come carry last). I've been there couple of times. First time I walked in there, my jaw never left the ground. Felt like stepping into another planet. Never felt that way before... walking into a place and been recognized and appreciated for my sexual preference. Infact, hearing another person that could pass as straight but is gay, asking me questions like "How's your girlfriend?" Or listen to them talk about their boyfriends. A place you can go to and solve conflict between you and your partner.

We don't have much of the ladies turning up. Just the dudes, some of who, I must say are quite sexy! They turn me on in a kind of way. And I feel like asking them out. Too bad we can't make out. Maybe we can kiss? Awww... there is this chicky, fine dark guy... oh to see them twerk! Yea. I'm drifting.

So, if you're in Lagos and want to visit there sometime, pm me? I and another member here thought about talking about it so peeps here in Lag could visit or know about it... we just didn't know how to get about it

I totally get you @Teejay , Althenas fever caught one time like that. I think its even still catching me sef :D/>

#Derailer!!!

The name of the organisation Teejay is talking abt is TIERS funny we were d only gals arund dt day buh we cn fun watching those guys b free and do der tin so let's us knw if any1 wants to check d place out. Its vewi coded 4 those dt love privacy

I have so many issues with this thread. From calling people hypocrites to complaining that people aren't doing much.

Errr, didn't I just put the trailer to the gay movie a few weeks back?

Just FYI I was on NL a few months back asking if anyone wanted to speak about their experiences anonymously for a book about queer women. Not ONE person on NL agreed to.

Also, it is very unfair to say there is no activism. Off the top of my head, we have OUT LGBTI people like Rashidi Williams, Dr. Otibho, Ifeanyi Orazulike, Micheal Akanji, Spectra, Olumide Makajuola, Pamela Adie and co...living and working to make a difference for LGBTI people in Nigeria. Just cos some of us are in a bubble and haven't branched out doesn't mean people aren't out there putting their necks on the line

For example, how many of us here know that the Same Sex Prohibition Act is being challenged in the Lagos & Abuja fed high court by some of the individuals I just mentioned above? Anyone?!

I constantly put up lists of LGBTI organisations, their websites and their numbers here. There is activism, community, counselling, legal help, free books, movies, series, couple conflict resolution....anything you need but if no one here uses it, that is on us, not on the people out there providing that service. I mean even the people who set up this website are doing their bit for the community!

*takes a deep breath*

A little less complaining and a little more action as Elvis will say. This is something I am very passionate about and it rubs me the wrong way when I read stuff like this. Yes Uganda is making headway with their magazine, but Nigerians are out there doing their best too.

Well said...