Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Who really is society?

Charlie

Someone once asked me, 'why do you like girls? I know you also like boys so why don't you just stick with them, at least it's normal.'

Everything in me was about to go on the defence, but I decided against it and thought to myself, why though?

Do I like girls because I think it's a way of rebelling against the norm that girls shouldn't be together? Or do I like girls because guys are dicks? Or perhaps maybe cause girls give life changing head? Or maybe for once, I want to not be submissive in a relationship?

I asked myself these questions amongst others and came to the conclusion that none were the reasons.

I feel like I've rebelled against society already by getting a tattoo - albeit that wasn't the reason I got it - but still, I dress in a manner that's not quite ‘girly’, I'm in the most male dominated engineering field, so surely my rebellion is complete.

Girls as much as any guy can be total dicks, sadly I learnt this from experience, that clearly wasn't my reason.

Guys with enough guidance can give good head too so obviously not my reason and finally, I would never be in a relationship where I felt unreasonably dominated so it had nothing to do with gender.

After going through the remaining questions and answering them in my head, I realised, I like girls cause I just do. I have no reason, I honestly can't come up with any. The same way I almost drove into a roundabout while looking at a very attractive girl is the same way I almost walked into a pole for an attractive guy. Why then should I deprive myself of such intense feelings just because I don't want to be different?

In secondary school, my reverend sister principal always said, ‘Dare to be different!’, I'm pretty sure she had no idea what spark she was igniting.

PS: who really is society and who makes these rules?

• Moderators

You and I both. We all are 'society'.

Tradition is useful for one thing -preservation of culture. Besides that, it has been the reason for which men rise up against each other. The reasons dichotomy, discrimination and intolerance persist. Tradition teaches/moulds you to prefer your way of doing things to another's. It imposes compliance, not leaving much room for objection. It makes one sheep... Sheep who does without necessarily questioning. Sheep who takes to instruction without giving thought to the relevance of precepts in modern day...

Laws would always be skewed to suit the prevailing thoughts of the land... Sadly, they often come from a myopic perspective.

...and so Charlie, this is life. I'm gay and my ability to allow myself live and be free within myself is liberating! For now, that would do.

You and I both. We all are 'society'.

Tradition is useful for one thing -preservation of culture. Besides that, it has been the reason for which men rise up against each other. The reasons dichotomy, discrimination and intolerance persist. Tradition teaches/moulds you to prefer your way of doing things to another's. It imposes compliance, not leaving much room for objection. It makes one sheep... Sheep who does without necessarily questioning. Sheep who takes to instruction without giving thought to the relevance of precepts in modern day...

Laws would always be skewed to suit the prevailing thoughts of the land... Sadly, they often come from a myopic perspective.

...and so Charlie, this is life. I'm gay and my ability to allow myself live and be free within myself is liberating! For now, that would do.

I'm so certain I've read somewhere that culture is always changing, at least some bits of it. It's extremely chaotic when a group of people decide they don't want to move forward cause 'culture '.

Well written! I enjoyed it.

Society is you and i and everybody else. And the rules are made by the majority because there is power in numbers.

• Moderators

Hahahahahaha. I can only imagine the chaos that could ensue.

Tradition here is used rather loosely. It refers to a people, a mindset and that which distinguishes one group from the other. It's in that dichotomy that strife prevail. It is inborn to prefer our ways of doing things to another's...

I couldn't resist commenting. Society to me isn't you and i, the rules aren't made by the majority, the majority are like zombies most of the time, they must be led. So the rules are made by the minority who con it in a way that they can keep the majority in check.

Do this experiment of asking people a lot of why questions and it will shock you the number of people who are in auto-zombie mode all the time. The minority make the rules, the majority follow it without questions, those who have awakened are termed rebels and traitors and criminals and o! I love this one, unbelievers.

I like the questions @Charlie raises, I once asked that question too. Who made the rules you're living your life by?

I couldn't resist commenting. Society to me isn't you and i, the rules aren't made by the majority, the majority are like zombies most of the time, they must be led. So the rules are made by the minority who con it in a way that they can keep the majority in check.

Do this experiment of asking people a lot of why questions and it will shock you the number of people who are in auto-zombie mode all the time. The minority make the rules, the majority follow it without questions, those who have awakened are termed rebels and traitors and criminals and o! I love this one, unbelievers.

I like the questions @Charlie raises, I once asked that question too. Who made the rules you're living your life by?

I think it's a mixture of both, decades probably centuries ago, a majority believed in certain things and coined it 'norm' and now, 2016,there's still a minority trying to ensure everyone follows the norm regardless of their personal feelings about it.

Well written! I enjoyed it.

Society is you and i and everybody else. And the rules are made by the majority because there is power in numbers.

I don't think I'm part of society, I truly don't care enough to try to make someone go for something simply because I agree it it, lol.

Hahahahahaha. I can only imagine the chaos that could ensue.

Tradition here is used rather loosely. It refers to a people, a mindset and that which distinguishes one group from the other. It's in that dichotomy that strife prevail. It is inborn to prefer our ways of doing things to another's...

I agree with that. Change though the most definite thing is always feared by all.

I think it's a mixture of both, decades probably centuries ago, a majority believed in certain things and coined it 'norm' and now, 2016,there's still a minority trying to ensure everyone follows the norm regardless of their personal feelings about it.

Am trying to see that fact but the book "1984" by George orwell was published in 1949 and in 2016, you would think the author was speaking of a 21st century thing. If it was happening as far back as 1949, when was the majority ever involved in making the laws?? When did the majority ever decide that it was okay for girls to be married by 8years of age? (other than a minority who saw a really pretty girl and couldn't bear to hold his d**ck till she was an adult so decided it's ok. The zombie bitten majority said "if so-so says it's okay, then it's okay).

Am trying to see that fact but the book "1984" by George orwell was published in 1949 and in 2016, you would think the author was speaking of a 21st century thing. If it was happening as far back as 1949, when was the majority ever involved in making the laws?? When did the majority ever decide that it was okay for girls to be married by 8years of age? (other than a minority who saw a really pretty girl and couldn't bear to hold his d**ck till she was an adult so decided it's ok. The zombie bitten majority said "if so-so says it's okay, then it's okay).

Lol, you know the world spans all the way back to at least 2 millenniums so said majority ruling could have taken place anytime then. Besides no sane person believes it's okay for an 8 year old girl to be married.