Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Today Was Good. Today Was Really Really Good.

Hawken

So a few hours ago, I was standing by the road waiting for a bus with my colleague. It had rained so the traffic was terrible. Colleague and I stood there making small talk but really my thoughts were on my sneakers and how I wouldn't have worn them if only i had known it would rain.. I looked down and contemplated them, they'll be fine I decided, I only have to wash them immediately I get home I assured myself.

I looked up to assess the traffic again and immediately noticed an overloaded keke napep in the distance. At the back was a woman lapping a child too grown to be lapped and her legs were sticking out. I felt bad. What if some idiot brushes this childs legs? We shouldn't have to live like this.. Poor woman. And in this traffic too.. Lord knows when they'll get to their bus stop at this traffics pace.

I dismissed them from my mind as quickly as they had come. I hate to see women struggle, it upsets me.

"You are too beautiful to dress like this"

"What is wrong with you????"

"God has created you to be a woman but you want to be a man??"

"You can't change who you are!!"

"God made you a woman"

Some maniac was screaming at me. Screaming at me from a keke in a slow moving traffic. It was the woman lapping a child in a keke. She had gotten really close to me and was still screaming. Practically foaming in the mouth, talking about how God created me a woman.

I looked around, people were looking at us, the okada riders at the junction were looking at us, I was weak. Just keep quiet and bone, them go soon pass I told myself.

But nopes, the traffic crawled as if on purpose, she was in front of me now, she pushed her child aside and stuck her head out of the keke. I could see her face now. Screwed up, angry and full of hate.

"Why are you dressed like a man??"

"Just look at you! Don't you know you're a woman??"

I looked at her and told her to mind her to mind her business. I don't know why I did that, the statement lacked power, i should have just kept quiet tbh. I've had experience dealing with people like these but this one caught me off guard and my colleague was there..

"Its people like you that they kill in the US"

I looked at her sharply at that statement, I was shocked, she looked like she was about to shed angry tears. Like my very existence offended her soul..

"You are a disgrace to your family"

I almost laughed at that moment, I am not sure why. Maybe its because I am a lot of things to my family but disgrace isn't one of them.

They are quite proud, I've surpassed expectations. My mum 'brags' albiet humbly to her friends about me. But not too much because you can never know who wishes you evil. " Before somebody tries to 'winchy' my daughter, although my God is bigger than them so they can't touch any of my children" Don't you just love our African mothers :D/>

That was the last hateful statement I heard from her because the traffic had moved past me thankfully.

Anyways, a soft landing for an irritating story and thats because I am loved and I know it (plus I also love myself and at the end of the day that's what counts the most), so ultimately if you are not friend or family your opinion is as important to me as spit on the ground.

PS I am home now and still haven't washed said sneakers. I don't even know why I bothered telling myself that lie.

• Moderators

People are so full of hate!!!!! f***k them! Excuse my French mate. I don't get upset often but this is it.

I'm sorry you had to go through that... how insensitive. Where has the love gone!!! How would anyone in their right minds make reference to the Orlando killings! How dare they!

She's clearly frustrated. The economy hasn't helped either... the only one who should be pitied is she and the condition life has forced on her.

Love you Hawken and take it from me, you rock! #GLC

Well I'm not the cause of her problems but yeah I pity her. Life probably done done her a number but am I life? Anyways it rolls right off. Right now I'm just here thinking about how day done dark and I never chop but I don off bra :unsure:

And I love you too mamiiii #GLC :D

Some people are just bitter minded and myopic in this country plus this economy isn't doing them any good either but the most important thing is the way we see and love ourselves.

We Dont let the myopic insensitive people get to us then we will he fine. Sorry you had to experience that, thats naija for you.

I hope she got a trophy straight from the President of the Homophobic Association of Nigeria (H.A.N). She probably has no child of her own. She couldn't even see to the safety of the child with her, and she was talking about shame and praising the act of murder. Would she take sides with Boko Haram or ISIS for their killings too? She was lucky she spoke to someone with a calm head.

People are just frustrated with the situation in the Country.

Hawken, high five. You showed her you are no ordinary woman who would exchange words with her and create a scene. That was obviously what she wanted. To be a hero one day in her life. Her fifteen minute fame. Msstew.

• Moderators

Give it up for Teejay! Lovely rant. Next time ehn, we both will give her a good comeback and perhaps 5knocks on her head. Jagajaga people. :angry: <_<

The economy is bad but is she the only person in the economy? She is just a homophobe and one day she's going to meet someone who "e head nor dey house", then she'll know how far.

This experience also helped me understand what some people are going through in other parts of the world. Imagine experiencing something like this everyday... A Weaker person, a person without a good support system would be suicidal. Or would turn to drugs in order to feel better.

Wow, mega-awkward to be the object of a stranger's rant. Sorry about that. But you handled it like a pro, nice. :D B)

people are so negative. And they believe they should project that negativity unto others. Picking on others helps them forget the crap in their own lives just for a bit, a distraction.

P.s wash those damn sneakers, girl! Or the sneaker gods are gonna woop your ass!

• Administrators

Some people are just bitter minded and myopic in this country plus this economy isn't doing them any good either but the most important thing is the way we see and love ourselves.

We Dont let the myopic insensitive people get to us then we will he fine. Sorry you had to experience that, thats naija for you.

Unfortunately, i have to agree with you.

Hmmmm... I must applaud u 4 being calm ion knw wat I wudve dne, some tym dis week, peeps at wrk were arguing abt "Orlando killings" n saying stuffs like being gay is a psychological disorder, some said it's spiritual, odas said it's a devilish act n d latest trend 4rm the devil. I had to tell them to shut the f***k up and face their wrk. Walked outter of there cos I wudve said more. Most peeps r ignorant n homophobic dey neva consider if I cud help who I fall in love with won't I chosen to b straight so as to be accepted by society, frnds and family.

It is well

Hawken go n wash ya sneakers, lazy geh. Meanwhile wen ya visiting m wrkplace? :angry:

Ahhh I'm at your disposal, anytime you want mt to come, I shall :D/>/>/>

And I will wash it today naaa..

Oya buk me in ur plans 4 nxt week