Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

How I starred Liz Benson in movie about lesbianism –Onu

FlyJ

• Administrators

Liz-Benson-1-Copy-477x418.png

Ever since veteran actress, Liz Benson, became an evangelist, she has appeared in just a few number of movies. However, the star actress was a cast of a new movie, ‘Busted,’ which preaches against lesbianism. One would wonder why an evangelist would take part in such a movie but in a chat with Saturday Beats, the executive producer of the movie, Face Onu, explained how it happened.

She stressed that the movie does not encourage the act of lesbianism; instead it educates parents and preaches against the act.

“It was not easy getting Liz Benson to star in the movie and before we began to shoot the project, we approached several television platforms who declined to be associated with the movie even though we assured them that it was a movie with a positive impact. Nobody wanted to hear it. I had the script for over two years because some stars said they were not going to be a part of it. The few actors that were interested did not have the courage to be a part of the movie. At first, Liz Benson did not want to be a part of the movie but when she read the script, she was delighted to be a part of the movie. It is the same thing with the other cast members. My biggest challenge was actually the censors board but I knew that when we got to the bridge, we would cross it. But when they saw it, they gave us their approval,” she said.

The film maker told Saturday Beats that she chose her medium to speak about the subject matter because the public seems to turn a blind eye towards the trend which is obviously creeping into the society. “We are all unique in our own ways. I am a pacesetter and through my research, I realised that nobody has really done any movie on same sex relationship or marriage especially at a time when the government has passed a law against it. I did not do a movie about lesbianism to promote the act but to preach against it. Nobody has really talked about these things. It is better to address an issue than sweep it under the carpet. These things happen in our society and we need to talk about it,” Ikuku said.

Source

• Like 1

I'm speechless. When will Nigeria develop? Preaching against lesbianism? Wouldn't be surprised if I'm told that that writer or film maker is a lesbian. Rubbish. Instead of them to preach against corruption, human trafficking and all those, they are there acting against lesbianism. I don vex..

Shes a creative and its her opinion. I think she should be allowed to do whatever she likes. So long as she isn't preaching or encouraging violence or stigmatization with the movie.

I have been watching straight movies all my life and still i'm gay. Things like this IMO won't change anything. It could even raise questions and awareness that would be beneficial to the community

Oh. So that trailer I saw was to preach AGAINST lesbianism? Means it ended badly? Too bad. I was looking forward to watching it.

Touché!! Feels like u went right into my head and spoke.

Shes a creative and its her opinion. I think she should be allowed to do whatever she likes. So long as she isn't preaching or encouraging violence or stigmatization with the movie.

I have been watching straight movies all my life and still i'm gay. Things like this IMO won't change anything. It could even raise questions and awareness that would be beneficial to the community

• Moderators

My take?

If people knew better they would act better. I'm not pleased that she saw this through. What it does is that it would aid whatever myopic mindset that persists around the subject. It would incite more hate and disgust not compassion because now, a renowned celebrity has given her verdict.

We must not forget that we are in a country where Africa magic movies have a profound influence on the majority and shapes the minds of the masses. A country where the likes of Liz Benson are demi gods, well respected. Her advocacy would be very effective but how I wish she had channelled it else where.

That said, I am not impressed but then again, in the scheme of things, who am I.

• Moderators

I'm speechless. When will Nigeria develop? Preaching against lesbianism? Wouldn't be surprised if I'm told that that writer or film maker is a lesbian. Rubbish. Instead of them to preach against corruption, human trafficking and all those, they are there acting against lesbianism. I don vex..

Hahaha @ don vex. Oya sorry now. Lol

Preach for it, preach against it, we are here, we exist and we are Nigerians. What y'all are doing is like baptizing a sinner claiming he/she won't sin anymore. Do a thousand more movies on same sex relationships it won't change a thing. Funny enough you guys sometimes use people like us to preach against. Why don't y'all just go to your heaven and leave us with our 'hell bound lifestyle'

• Administrators

Wasn't Liz Benson gay a couple of years back. Oh well...she accepted Christ!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators

Wasn't Liz Benson gay a couple of years back. Oh well...she accepted Christ!

Hahahahaha. Say what?!? Loool. Never heard that gist. Lool o. Who wudda thought :)

• Administrators

Hahahaha. Na wa o. Flyj o... *coughs*

You sure this isn"t bobo? ������

Jeez! Why am I bringing back 2001 gist? runs away

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hahahaha. Interesting... I believe you. Oh well. I wish her the very best. Sighs

Of course one can be creative, except if one is pushing for intolerance as this movie is. We were just sitting down jejerly in our small corner when they decided to make our issue their matter. I can bet you that attacks against masculine presenting women will spike after this movie goes mainstream. What is utterly disgusting is also the things they were saying in the trailer: it wasn't artistic licence, it was just homophobic. Freedom of speech exists but inciting stigmatization and hate is also a crime.

This movie does not raise any awareness, instead it encourages that we be arrested and cast out thus the tittle BUSTED

Of course one can be creative, except if one is pushing for intolerance as this movie is. We were just sitting down jejerly in our small corner when they decided to make our issue their matter. I can bet you that attacks against masculine presenting women will spike after this movie goes mainstream. What is utterly disgusting is also the things they were saying in the trailer: it wasn't artistic licence, it was just homophobic. Freedom of speech exists but inciting stigmatization and hate is also a crime.

This movie does not raise any awareness, instead it encourages that we be arrested and cast out thus the tittle BUSTED

Hmmmn... I think we should simmer down and see the movie first. I mean it is after all a trailer, and the point of trailers is to garner public interest. So lets just wait and see.

You couldn't have pointed the obvious fact better, the movie grossly misrepresents the reality of same - gender loving people in Nigeria, and it's outrightly homophobic. I guess all they aimed to achieve with this is to destroy the lives of vulnerable humans(lesbians) and to instill intolerance and hate.. And its disappointing that so called enlightened actress like Kate and Liz Benson were part of this project. Sad I tell you.