Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Bisexual people feel less satisfied, worthwhile and happy – and much more anxious

FlyJ

• Administrators

Bisexuals1.jpg

Bisexual people feel less happy and more anxious than other sexualities, according to an ONS report released today.

They also have a lower amount of overall life satisfaction and feel less worthwhile than straight, gay and lesbian people do, according to the figures.

The research marks the first time the ONS has measured personal wellbeing by sexual identity.

It was found that nearly one-third of bisexual people have “high” anxiety, compared to less than one-fifth of straight people.

Less than a quarter of gay and lesbian people said they have the highest level of anxiety.

Unsurprisingly, straight people reported the highest levels of wellbeing across all four of the ONS’s measures.

Addressing why LGB people have lower wellbeing rates than straight people, the ONS suggested factors might include “health outcomes, discrimination in access to services and in the workplace”.

The report adds: “It must also be recognised that these estimates do not account for other potential factors which may influence well-being ratings.

“The release Sexual Identity, UK: 2015 showed that you are more likely to report identifying as lesbian, gay or bisexual if you live in London and previous research has shown that personal well-being is generally lower in London.”

The ONS surveyed 300,000 people over the age of 16 between January 2013 and December 2015 to find the results.

Yesterday, a project produced by Manchester’s LGBT Foundation which focused on trans people’s wellbeing found the media is doing serious damage.

Alarmingly, the report found that one of the biggest factors negatively affecting trans people in the media – with 51% saying it has damaged their wellbeing.

67% of trans people have also reported being a victim of a hate crime, which is much higher than among gay and bisexual people.

And 80% of transgender people experience anxiety before accessing hospitals due to insensitivity, misgendering and discrimination, the report stated.

It was also found that negative experiences with transition-related healthcare, higher rates of mental ill-health and a lack of research around transgender people’s health are key barriers.

Source

• Like 1

Why? Cause they like ketchup and Mayo !! Hehehe.

Because society straight people don't like them, and gay people also discriminate against them. We're all very good at invalidating bisexuals instead of beig more accepting that people can fall in love, and in lust regardless of gender...

• Upvote 2

My problem with bisexuals especially Nigerian Bis is that they wanna have both at the same time, It's cool if you can have feelings for both genders but trying to date both at the same time is what I'm against. A lot of Bi girls here have boyfriends and still want to hook up, they don't take themselves seriously so neither do I

My problem with bisexuals especially Nigerian Bis is that they wanna have both at the same time, It's cool if you can have feelings for both genders but trying to date both at the same time is what I'm against. A lot of Bi girls here have boyfriends and still want to hook up, they don't take themselves seriously so neither do I

Sometimes, Nigerian bisexuals are confused. How on earth would you date two people, two genders oo at the same time. haba!!! Some of them date guys just 'cause of financial assistance they gonna get from 'em.

Really? So we are just going to generalize and bring down a whole group of people based on their sexuality, and we expect otherwise from straight people.

Classic example of hypocrisy

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

Valid point

• Like 1

Really? So we are just going to generalize and bring down a whole group of people based on their sexuality, and we expect otherwise from straight people.

Classic example of hypocrisy

I tire o

• Upvote 1

For many Bi girls the men always win at the end of the day. Not cool. But anyways we still love you all ye bis, at least we still laid by some of ye.

For many Bi girls the men always win at the end of the day. Not cool. But anyways we still love you all ye bis, at least we still laid by some of ye.

LOL, baddooo

Dating two people is not unique to bisexual women. A lot of straight and queer people double date so lets call a spade a spade. Dating more than 1 person has nothing to do with sexuality. In fact, many male and female bisexuals will tell you pop and plain they don't want to date two people at the same time...but for me that is not even the problem. *deep sigh*

1. We all acknowledge that straight, gay, lesbian people date others for money. We are all gold diggers please, stop putting it all on bisexuals

2. What do you expect queer Nigerian women to do???!!! The family and societal pressure is stifling. So many of us need men to cover up what we are but because we see dating a man publicly as the only option.

Does any women here imagine she will get a 'happy ever after' with another woman in Nigeria? Be married, have kids, be accepted to make legal, medical and financial decisions together? Honestly!

So yes, most lesbians end up dating and sometimes marrying men cos they do not see any other option. And they are sad. And hurting. And soffocating in closets. Sometimes they have affairs, sometimes they get divorced. We are told to 'stop that nonsense' or to do it on the side by older lesbians and gay men. It is the way it has always been till we change it. I remember conversations here of people saying they will NEVER come out. People do what they need to do to survive!!!

Gosh, I am so frustrated with you folks sometimes. We have shallow conversations with absolutely no nuance.

• Upvote 1

Dating two people is not unique to bisexual women. A lot of straight and queer people double date so lets call a spade a spade. Dating more than 1 person has nothing to do with sexuality. In fact, many male and female bisexuals will tell you pop and plain they don't want to date two people at the same time...but for me that is not even the problem. *deep sigh*

1. We all acknowledge that straight, gay, lesbian people date others for money. We are all gold diggers please, stop putting it all on bisexuals

2. What do you expect queer Nigerian women to do???!!! The family and societal pressure is stifling. So many of us need men to cover up what we are but because we see dating a man publicly as the only option.

Does any women here imagine she will get a 'happy ever after' with another woman in Nigeria? Be married, have kids, be accepted to make legal, medical and financial decisions together? Honestly!

So yes, most lesbians end up dating and sometimes marrying men cos they do not see any other option. And they are sad. And hurting. And soffocating in closets. Sometimes they have affairs, sometimes they get divorced. We are told to 'stop that nonsense' or to do it on the side by older lesbians and gay men. It is the way it has always been till we change it. I remember conversations here of people saying they will NEVER come out. People do what they need to do to survive!!!

Are you bisexual?

Gosh, I am so frustrated with you folks sometimes. We have shallow conversations with absolutely no nuance.

No one said double dating is peculiar to bisexuals, but for bisexuals it's a norm. And the female partner always play second fiddle to the male partner.

1. Agreed. Gold digging is an individual thing and has nothing to do with sexual orientation

2. This same story, there is always an option. you can't be happy here but you can be happy somewhere else, you just have to work towards it. I would rather remain single than be married to a man, at the end of the day pressure or no pressure it's your life. so let's stop acting like we must end up with men cause there's no alternative, it's just the easy way out. it's a question of how important your happiness is to you.

• Upvote 1

No one said double dating is peculiar to bisexuals, but for bisexuals it's a norm. And the female partner always play second fiddle to the male partner.

1. Agreed. Gold digging is an individual thing and has nothing to do with sexual orientation

2. This same story, there is always an option. you can't be happy here but you can be happy somewhere else, you just have to work towards it. I would rather remain single than be married to a man, at the end of the day pressure or no pressure it's your life. so let's stop acting like we must end up with men cause there's no alternative, it's just the easy way out. it's a question of how important your happiness is to you.

Chop knuckle#

Well said. Nobody can really really force you to do something you do not want to do. Really let's reason it out. How passionate are you? How strongly do you believe in what you deserve? If you don't want to, trust me nobody can force you.

Mum will only cry, and rant and vent and pray for you. See Genevieve, I don't think that lady wants to get married. She's strong, she opinionated, she doesn't let society dictate for her. So their unhappiness is their own palava

Somebody has said most of what I wanted to say. Im tired of being a rabble rouser here, so most times I'd read and not say anything. Anyone feeling cheated by a Bi woman can take several seats. Folks of all tribes and sexuality cheat. That one Bi chick left for a man doesnt make the rest of us guilty. Quit being such cry babies. Later when they say gay people are irresponsible and sexually reckless people y'all will start being defensive against hasty generalisations. Look at how many Bi women celebrities are currently publicly dating or getting married to women. The real issue is that with the wahala that goes with being gay in Nigeria most very homosexual people still end up in heterosexual relationships.

• Upvote 1

No one said double dating is peculiar to bisexuals, but for bisexuals it's a norm.

"for bisexuals, it's a norm". That already means you're generalizing again.

It's like when a man says he respects you but still thinks all women just want a man to take care of them. But most of us here know personally they are different and would tell the guy that he is small minded.

So why do the same here? Don't act like you understand or Know the struggle of someone by looking at the negative stories you've heard and forcing that perception on others. It's callous...

Secondly,Marrying a man can be the bravest thing a lesbian can do based on the circumstances that she is faced with. Circumstances that you don't know anything about. You shouldn't project your scenario/circumstance on someone else and ridicule their choices without knowing them.

How disrespectful and close-minded...

Someone shouldn't also say that being in the closet is the "easy way out" than coming out. Both decisions have their pros and cons, pain and bliss... But people make these decisions​Everytime and they should not be shamed for it.

Girls please talk to others, read books (e.g Blessed Bodies. It's a collection of real life stories from queer Nigerians), hear people's stories and empathize, not judge blindly...

• Moderators

I have to say that I have enjoyed reading the arguments from both divides. It reminds me of why I joined NL.

This has been mentally stimulating. Well done all! :)

That's what I tell people who ask why I'm the way I am. Then again you can't explain your core person who you are to a lot of people who are unopen to accept you. Bisexuals genuinely deal with a lot buy I say don't play Victim. Stand up and educate & enlighten as many that are willing to learn. What you've said is just what it is. 109%in its simplest form.

Because society straight people don't like them, and gay people also discriminate against them. We're all very good at invalidating bisexuals instead of beig more accepting that people can fall in love, and in lust regardless of gender...

Do you know she's been labelled a closet lesbian. Cause of her friend :Chinny', she's also been linked to men throut this her friendship with CHinny. Then again, I think its choice , even in a society where being gay is accepted some people are still more afraid of the 'unacceptance' in general as opposed to what they think they can be. A lot of this LGBTQ struggle is still a very very Personal struggle, the more who have succeeded in overcoming themselves have slowly become the voice and courage for others.

My unhappiness Is not just my palava, its also my neighbours indirectly. Just as is my strength and boldness.

Chop knuckle#

Well said. Nobody can really really force you to do something you do not want to do. Really let's reason it out. How passionate are you? How strongly do you believe in what you deserve? If you don't want to, trust me nobody can force you.

Mum will only cry, and rant and vent and pray for you. See Genevieve, I don't think that lady wants to get married. She's strong, she opinionated, she doesn't let society dictate for her. So their unhappiness is their own palava

Really, take away cheating which we all know isn't unique to bisexuals and you have nothing on them. In fact, they are almost enviable. I think the bias stems from the fact that you don't understand why they can have a "normal" life with a man but still choose to "complicate" it by been with women.

• Upvote 1