Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Is the LGBT community becoming inconsiderate in their demands?

Keke

I've noticed that some members of the LGBT community do not realize that in society there has to be a balance, or that their rights end where another's right starts. No right is actually absolute.
Why is it "freedom of speech" and "freedom of association" when someone supports LGBT and on the other hand it is classified as "hate speech" and "discrimination" when somebody expresses that they do not believe in the community nor want to associate with them?
I think everybody is entitled to their opinion and preferences and it is very unfair to try to force someone to accept your lifestyle. I believe that so long as there is basic mutual respect for life and dignity, everyone can stay on their lane.
Freedom and Rights includes the freedom to not like what you don't like.
Not every opposition is hate speech.
So long as the dislike is done respectfully; there is no violence and denial of rights accruable from public office, everyone is well within their rights.
Private individuals (eg. The baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple) who decide not to associate with LGBT have their freedom of association which should also be respected.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators

Hahahaha. I must say that I really enjoy your choice of topics. Rather intellectual.

I agree with you there. I believe everyone must reserve the right to express freely so long as it does not infringe on another's rights.

2 hours ago, kimi said:

Hahahaha. I must say that I really enjoy your choice of topics. Rather intellectual.

I agree with you there. I believe everyone must reserve the right to express freely so long as it does not infringe on another's rights.

Maybe I always busy addressing issues instead of just having fun 😒

When I decry people against the community, it isn't really about them. It's about everyone who makes me so scared to leave the closet. It's about everyone who made me feel like I was vile. It's about letting those deeper in the closet than I am know that I will have their back so it's okay for them to come see how it looks outside the closet. 

Eventually, society will find that healthy balance you speak of where the dislike may be seen as respectful but for now, I have to make sure they don't get in my head and they don't get in the heads of others like me who are more scared than I am. 

1 minute ago, dequeen said:

When I decry people against the community, it isn't really about them. It's about everyone who makes me so scared to leave the closet. It's about everyone who made me feel like I was vile. It's about letting those deeper in the closet than I am know that I will have their back so it's okay for them to come see how it looks outside the closet. 

Eventually, society will find that healthy balance you speak of where the dislike may be seen as respectful but for now, I have to make sure they don't get in my head and they don't get in the heads of others like me who are more scared than I am. 

Oh dear, this reply just made my heart sink.

Well, what we should be after is " live and let live" not a situation of "you must love who I am" because not everyone will understand this. Not everyone will even understand the internal conflict you go through sometimes.

So like you said, so long as they don't get in our heads, everyone should just respect each other and be cool.

2 minutes ago, Keke said:

Oh dear, this reply just made my heart sink.

Well, what we should be after is " live and let live" not a situation of "you must love who I am" because not everyone will understand this. Not everyone will even understand the internal conflict you go through sometimes.

So like you said, so long as they don't get in our heads, everyone should just respect each other and be cool.

We will get to the "live and let live" stage, but it's not yet time for that. We need to let them know we are going no where. 

We are here, We are proud, We are going nowhere. We need to create some space for ourselves before we keep quiet.

There is a time and a season for everything. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2018 at 3:42 PM, dequeen said:

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

• Like 1